main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Warhammer 40000(40K)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DarthReven, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    Well, since there wasnt a W40K thread, i decided to start one. Here is a topic starter: " What do you think of Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War, the RTS?" But heck,anything W40K is fine here.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Isn't Warhammer a game? Or is it also a book series?

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's a PC game, Venture.

I have friends who are Daemon winners, but I never got into Warhammer or 40K myself. I have some Battlefleet Gothic ships; Chaos and Imperium, for a TOTJ RPG campaign. If painted in red and grey, respectively, they made nice Republic/Sith ships.

My friend's Demon Winners (Gold, Silver, Bronze).

E_S

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's also a book series. I have quite a few of the novels. If you like military sci-fi, it's pretty good. My favorite (and the series that got me into it) was the Eisenhorn trilogy by Dan Abnett. There was also a multi-platform video game - Fire Warrior. The novelization of it isn't too bad. I have one of the Game Workshop stores locally where they sell the novels and other items and I believe they have gaming evenings there as well. I'm not into the miniatures/gaming side of it though.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I've considered reading some of the older novels because Ian Watson is a fine writer, but I haven't gotten around to them.

6. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Well, it is a Video Game, a table-top RPG like game, and there are books.The main part of the series, the "root" is the table top game. I assume this thread will emcompass all of W40K, however. Of course, the main part would be the table-top game. Now i realize that the table top doesnt exactly fit with books and comics, but it fits in much more easily than the movies section.

by the way,nice models, Sai. Your pals are really good.

7. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I've read a novel I think it is based on Warhammer game, but it was a long time ago. Not bad though.
    The game seems pretty interesting , but I tried to play it only once.

8. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    I've read only the Gaunt's Ghosts novels, and the Titan comics. Enjoyed them both. I hear the Space Wolf novels are pretty good, so I've ordered the first one from my local library. I absolutely love the setting, background and artwork for the game. I think it was mainly the artwork that got me into GW games in the first place. They have some first-rate fantasy artists working for them.

I keep meaning to dig out and dust off my Chaos Space Marine army. It's the older version of 40K, though, so it will need some work to make it fit into the most recent rules set.

9. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    I read Dark Angels once: pretty good. Plenty of corruption[face_devil]

10. Lord_of_all_Noldor

Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2005
    W20k is fantastic game. Even better that D&D, in my opinion. Have any of you ever been on any international tournaments?

11. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

I've never been to a Games Day, although I'd love to go sometime. I never considered myself good enough to enter a big tournament, although I used to give everyone a good kicking at my local GW on a regular basis.

I think I'm a much better painter and converter than I am a player :)

12. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Quite a fan of Abnet's Gaunt series. Haven't read any of the other books though...any recomendations?

13. General_Jodo_Kast

General_Jodo_Kast Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2006
    I went to town today but the shop had ran out of eldar wraithguard... :eek:

Dose anyone else collect craftworld eldar?

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Aragorn - his Eisenhorn trilogy is very good. I found the Inquisitor and Inquisition angle more interesting than the Space Marines. This series was my start with Warhammer 40k and I recommend it.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The only thing I know about WH40K is that it is a game, and through seeing the large amounts of minis available I looked up a little info on the WWW. The God Emperor Of Man sounds like a cool character. Born 8,000 BC, immortal, mental powers, influencing the course of history. Does he appear in the novels?

16. Rexus

Rexus Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2005
    I loved the recent PC game and also I like the table game (unfotunetly I can't have any of the figures). I never knew that there are novels so now I would try and find some of them, because I kind of like millitary sci-fi.

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I doubt it, since he's been locked in the Golden Throne, unable to communicate and possibly dead, for a few thousand years.

18. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    I collect a Blood Angels force.

Now, the Emperor might perhapes telephaicaly "talk" with select servants, but his physical form is all shriviled up and well, rotting. The emperor wouldnt be able to talk in our way. Now, one thing i hate about the Space Marine Codex is that the emhasise the Ultramarines to much. They paint them as the most perfect, renown troopers. They write that Horus even planned his heresy when the Ultramarines and Robuto Guiliman was in the east of the galaxy. AND, more than half of there sample elite charaters are ultramarines. And like 95% of all the pics in it are Ultra. Descrimination, i tell you! I mean, Ultra is cool, but they should put the spot-light on the SM chapters equaly...

Any thoughts?

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Upping this for Syntax..

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I was looking it up the other week, and the home site didn't impress me. You have the Starcraft marines, Warcraft orcs, and some cliche emperor of an empire all mixed together. :rolleyes:

21. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Whoops, somehow this thread slipped right under my radar. Sorry about that, folks...

Er, you realize that Warhammer 40k predates StarCraft, right? And, in fact, StarCraft was going to be a Warhammer40k game, until Games Workshop pulled the license for one reason or another.

Also, the Emperor is pretty different from anything I'd seen - he's an Emperor, but he's nothing like, say, Palpatine from Star Wars. The Imperium of Man willingly serves him, and it's gotten to the point that they physically worship him as a god.

22. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I wasn't saying it copied Starcraft, the way Warcraft 3 did. But orks? o_O C'mon, like there was no other "barbaric" race they could think of? Hmmmm . . .

23. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, Warhammer40k also predates the Warcraft game series, too. :)
    WH40k has been around since 1987, and initially started out as a fantasy-themed tabletop game ("Warhammer") that started in 1983. The Orks from WH40k are a carryover of the Orcs (note intentional spelling change), which are a race in the fantasy version.

24. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

1987! As old as the first Nintendo! As old as that plumber, jumping on koopa turtle shells.

25. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Personally, I'd had no idea that WH40k had been around for so long. I certainly wish I'd heard of it sooner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.