Amph Warhammer 40000(40K)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DarthReven, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthReven Jedi Youngling

Myself as well. They have been out a loong time, its kinda interesting looking at how the models eveolved over time. I have some of the old 1991 Rogue Trader models, and they look way diferant than the new ones now... What army do you play?
  2. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've actually been more involved with the fiction and whatnot more than actually playing the game, but my neighbor plays a lot (he fields a Tyranid army), so I've been borrowing his codecies and whatnot and reading through them. Right now I'm about 50 pages through the 4th Edition rulebook.
    I've also been (slowly) amassing a force of Necron miniatures. I've got a complete Battleforce boxed set assembled and painted (20 Warriors, 3 Destroyers, 5 Scarabs) and I'm expecting another 8 various Necron miniatures in the mail sometime this week.
  3. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I just started reading First and Only, the first Gaunt's Ghosts book. I am liking it so far. I have most of the series but I will have to stop in my local Games Workshop store to see if they have the ones I am missing. I hate to start a series and find out I am missing the next book when I am ready to read it. Anyone know if this series is finished or if there are still books to come? (And if it has finished then no spoilers please!)
  4. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There's two more books confirmed after 'His Last Command', apparently. More information here.

I've been meaning to read the Gaunt's Ghosts books, but right now I'm working my way through the second 'Dawn of War' book (which isn't nearly as good as the first), and then I'll be reading the 3 Ciaphas Cain books which have been released so far.
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Thanks, Syntax. It looks like I am missing Necropolis and Honour Guard. I will have to take another look around before I put them on the 'to-buy' list.
  6. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Good luck trying to find 'Necropolis' - Amazon.com is out of stock on that one, otherwise I'd have bought the first 4 Gaunt novels already (especiall since Amazon.com is doing a buy-3-get-1-free promotion right now which covers, like, ALL of their paperback books).
  7. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Actually I found Necropolis - it was just not with the other books. I do need to get Honour Guard though. Since I will be up in town tomorrow I will see if Games Workshop or any of the bookstores has it. If not then I will check amazon uk.
  8. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Well, it wasn't a wasted trip to Games Workshop since they had Honour Guard. They also had His Last Command, but only in hardcover so I passed on that. I asked the sales clerk if he knew when it would be out in paper but he didn't have a date on it yet.
  9. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I ordered another four WH40k books from Amazon.com yesterday. I ordered:
    - the first 2 Gaunt's Ghosts books
    - the second Grey Knights book (bought the first from a local bookstore. Haven't read it yet)
    - the fourth Ciaphas Cain book (I've got the first 3, haven't gotten to read 'em yet)
  10. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I finished the two Dawn of War books, and now I'm rolling through the first Ciaphas Cain book, 'For The Emperor'.
    This book is absolutely hilarious so far (I'm about 80 pages in). Cain is a riot. :D
  11. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I think I have the first Cain book in the reading pile. I am up to Necropolis in the Gaunt's Ghosts books. They are pretty good so far. I will probably take a break after this one as I am expecting Karen Traviss' new Republic Commando book from Amazon UK any day now. (It's shipped - just hasn't arrived yet).
  12. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've got the first two Gaunt books, but they're in the middle of the W40k reading queue at the moment. I'm going to finish the 4 Cain books (just got the 4th in the mail from Amazon.com last week) before I start on the Gaunt books.
  13. SilentSpeaker Jedi Knight

I liked the books cause they were so dark and grim and gritty ( like, SW before the vong, I would have considered 'clean'.) Some of them are the kind of stories that give you the urge to cry "Battle!" and go bite something after reading:D, and some of the Chaosy stories would just gross...

If you're thinking of reading any of the space marine books avoid "Soul Drinker" like nurgle's plauge, I don't know what else the author has hitherto written, but that plot was just :oops:

If you like G's ghost's, try the "last chancers" by that Throp fellow, it deals with the imp. guard as well, but the penal legions.

As others have said the Eisenhorn trilogy is good. (imo the best 40k lit's by Dan Abnett, the others I would, okay I suppose unfairly, label 'penny dreadfuls' or 'pulp', whatever the term that is used these days)

The problem with the 40k story is that it's such a long story! And it's not all written down in one place or format: you have game books; many which are out of print, there are novels, there are those magazine articles. I don't know, maybe wikipedia has a sufficient story overview.

(did the horus heresy happen in 20k AD or 30?)

14. DarthReven Jedi Youngling

Well, i havent read any of the books. Where would be a good starting place?
  15. SilentSpeaker Jedi Knight

Well, all the stories are set in that particular universe, right?
    However, there's no specific chronology.

You're a BA player? Well, there's two (I think) novels concerning them (haven't heard much about them though, so check out some reviews on amazon or something).

I would recommend trying out the Eisenhorn trilogy. Three books (although there's an omnibus out that has all three, it also contains some connecting stories set between the novels) Xenos, Malleus (my favourite) and Herecticus.
    They have action (wouldn't be warhmmer if it didn't ;) )but, I suppose it's also kind of like a mystery story too (do you like detective novels?)
    Sorry to be vauge. It has been a while since I read them, and well, I only remember that they were good.

There's also "First and Only", first of the Gaunt's Ghosts. They're are good if you are interested in the Imperial Guard.

"Storm of Iron" was alright (I mean, it's not 'fine literature' but it was enjoyable :) ). It's about the Iron Warriors Chaos marines invading some isolated military base and a lone sentry guard's adventure during the attack.

The "Last Chancers" novels by Gav Thorpe (pshhh Throp[face_whistling] ) are okay. They center around a groupn of disgraced and imprisoned Imp guard soldiers and the officer willing to give them pardons if they complete his seemingly impossible missions (like The Dirty Dozen but 40k style).

There's the story story of the horus heresy itself coming out soon (april), that's something I'm quite eager to read. I mean, the only horus heresy story I've ever read was this
    http://www.thewarp.net/war/stern/emperorvshorus.html

the emp vs. horus battle.
    (incidentally, it was written for white dwarf by william king, who, if you are interested in reading any of the WH fantasy stories, wrote the Gotrex and Felix series which is also pretty good)

I've been out of the hobby for a while and this thread's reminded me that my paints are all long dead dry :(. (I'll give you one guess what army I played:rolleyes: )
  16. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Well, I thought I had one of the Cain novels but I don't. I might be stopping in Games Workshop Thursday when I am in town. I will probably check out the other series also.
  17. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Haha, I'll tell my neighbor about that. He just bought that book yesterday.

There's two Blood Angels books, 'Deus Encarmine' and 'Deus Sanguinius'. My neighbor is a big Blood Angels fan, and he just read both books and liked them a lot.

The first one is 'For The Emperor'. I'm about 150 pages in, and it's still hilarious. Ciaphas Cain is awesome. :D
  18. SilentSpeaker Jedi Knight

Woe to him, your duty now to deliver unto him the emperor's mercy

I see that there's a sequal out too :(

I read the books concerning the chapter I played. Nothing special :(.
    I've heard good things about the Dark Angles book, and the Space Wolves saga is apparently popular enough to warrent several sequals, read them before?

He's a commissar too, right? Like gaunt does he lead his force or is he the staple sort that's a tactical officer/propaganda-political guy?
    (giving the the "emperor's mercy" to deserters and cowards. It was funny watching games where the commissar executes the commander or something [face_laugh].)

19. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There's four books (Space Wolf, Ragnar's Claw, Wolfbane, and one other) and while my neighbor hasn't read them yet, he did manage to buy the books out of order (he only has the third and fourth; he's waiting to get the first and second before he reads any of them).

Neither, actually. Cain is an admitted self-serving coward who wants nothing more than to live out his Imperial service in peace. However, through sheer luck and coincidence, he's managed to not only survive numerous battles, but also gain an (undeserved) reputation as a military genius and heroic leader of the Imperium. It's hilarious.
    And yes, he's a commissar, like Ibram Gaunt.

The WH40k books I own are as follows (and a * means I've read the book):
    - Fifteen Hours*
    - Dawn of War*
    - Dawn of War: Ascension*
    - For the Emperor (Ciaphas Cain book 1)
    - Caves of Ice (Ciaphas Cain book 2)
    - The Traitor's Hand (Ciaphas Cain book 3)
    - Death or Glory (Ciaphas Cain book 4)
    - Grey Knights (Grey Knights book 1)
    - Dark Adeptus (Grey Knights book 2)
    - Fire Warrior (novelization of the video game)
    - Crossfire (Shira Calpurnia book 1)
    - Bringers of Death* (short story anthology)
    - Words of Blood (short story anthology)
    - First and Only (Gaunt's Ghosts book 1)
    - Ghostmaker (Gaunt's Ghosts book 2)
    - Warrior Brood
  20. DarthReven Jedi Youngling

Do you play.... The ultramarines? I'm really just guessing here....

By the way, are the Dawn of War books any good?
  21. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I play Necrons, actually.

The 'Dawn of War' books are cool. The first one is consistently good, and the second one takes about 250 pages before it gets good... and then it gets REALLY good.
  22. SilentSpeaker Jedi Knight

If that's towards me I played Black Templars (okay, okay, groan all you like, however I did not field the typical "Rhino Rush" BT force, I had bikes and an assault squad too :p )

What!:eek: Ha! That would be a good read![face_laugh]

Fifteen hours, huh? That worth reading? I read the blurb on the back, seems interesting.

Grey Knights!?![face_sick] That's written by the same abomi-author :)P) that wrote that unholiest of unholies, "Soul Drinker"!!! (dan dan daaaaan! *thunder/lightning)

I'd be interested to see what you thought of it when your done.

I've read the BFG book "Execution hour", it was okay. But I can't remember finishing the sequal ("shadow point"), not cause it was bad, I just left it in another country I think)

Ever peeked at any of the "Inquisition War" books by Ian Watson? They were written a while ago (reprints now), I personally didn't like them (read first 2, never got the chance to read 3rd one), much weirder than any of the new ones.
    There's one part where the characters put themselves in suspended-animation for a hundred years, then on the next page or something they come out and it's like, "whoa, 100 years huh?" Not that 100 years makes any diff to the 40k-verse. Bad example (okay it sounded incredibly stupid) but they struck me as being to outdated in their feel, not only in material; they weren't as dark or grim as the newer stories. Maybe I would have enjoyed them more if I had played 2nd or 1st edition.
    The writng style was good though.

23. Syntax Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've heard that the Grey Knights books are great, especially the new one that just came out ('Dark Adeptus'). I'll tell you what I think once I get to them.
  24. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I've read the Ian Watson Inquisition books. They were a bit strange but I liked them.
  25. DarthReven Jedi Youngling

Well, i've never played BT before, so you've got not hate from me. Actualy, a a n00bie at it, while a veteran in W40K Dawno of War, i've played the table-top version like twice. Got pawned my first time. I was figghting the tau, we were doing a maybe a 700 point match...( i had 2 tact squads, full strenght, as well as a full powered assualt squad) My friend, he had 1 tau normal, a kroot squad as well as this Devilfish like tank with a huge gun on it. Plus a Battle suit guy. Now, that damn tank of his( fires ordance blasts) would wipe out a squad of mine in one hit. My force was almost destoryed byt the 2nd-3rd turns. Now, i tried to send in my assualt squad from the reserve on top of his tank and melta bomb it, but alas, i failed the reserve check,....

I HATE TAU!!!!!! ( still, my friend, a veteran table top player, said i lost because of horrble roles, and the fact i had no veihicles. Luckily, i know have a 2 rhinos and a Baal tank, so i'm looking forward to our next battle. )

By the way, are BT better than BA in close combat? Blood Angels get a +1 int and attack durring a charge, plus veteran assualt squads and honor guards....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.