main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Warhammer 40000(40K)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DarthReven, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilentSpeaker

SilentSpeaker Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005

I would like to play that, but my comp's too crappy :(. Have you played, for example any other RTS? How does it compare to them? (I might know some of the others you see, just so I can gauge)

Well I haven't played in a while, school, the hobby got too expensive etc.,.
    There's a new rulesbook out right? Does your rulebook have a metal/mechanical skull with a warhammer behind it?[face_skull] That's 4th ed. Never played with those rules. I got in at 3rd ed.

(So many rules! When I first started out I'd have to flick through the big black one and several codicies just for like, one move! Alas, I have forgotten most of them now. It's fun though, once you get the hang of it :).)

-Ordnance has that big template right? Well think of it this way, if he didn't have that tank you most likely would have annihilated him in CC [face_beatup] . (is the marine armour save still 3+ ?)

-I never really liked Tau myself, though I suppose it was good to have (2) new completely new races (they were intro'ed late 3rd ed. I think?) I only played against them once or twice (never finished the 2nd game)

-700pts? Yeah that's good when your starting out (obviously) but it gets really fun when you play the standard tourny sizes (1500 etc).

I can't really answer that question, I don't know how the rules have changed. Okay, this will be a big generalisation, but here's the rundown (from what I've heard) 2nd ed. favoured shooters, 3rd ed. favoured close combat, and I'm supposing 4th ed. is supposed to be that 'divine balance' between the two.
    I reason I wrote this was because if you played BT you had an opportunity to go crazy on CC, every tactical squad could potentially have 13 models (10 marines, 3 scouts) all with 2 closecombat weapons (and hence 2 attacks) each. "Vanilla" or plain "codex" marines (Ultra's being the prime example, bloody poster-boys :p) could not do this.
    So, for example, a BT player could potentially have all his troop choices w/ CC weapons, a couple of squads, all in rhino transports.
    Okay, from the enemy's pov, his only real chance would be to try and get rid of the BT's before they reached him, because he would be messed up once they did (especially if they were a shooty army w/ little to no CC troops).
    All the BT player would have to do would be to get his models up to the enemy, unload them, and let the slaughter begin! An unfair and devestating tactic if the field/table was small.
    I believe this was called "Rhino rushing", and the unfairness (like a shooty army having too many ord.template weapons, or too many of something that gave too much of an advantage) was strangely called "cheese" or something, I forgotten most of the gamer's lingo anyway.

Also, due to the 'special rules', BT's could choose a set of attributes before each battle. One if I remember correctly gave every trooper a 6+ invulnerable save, bah, I can't remember the other's (something about a "sweeping advance" that was particularily effective[?]. They had their advantages and disadvantages. Though many players of other armys would (I suppose quite rightly sometimes) think it unfair. (the stereotypical example was a young teenager or younger with a badly painted force that just wanted to win, of course, that's just the stereotype :p, I never saw this myself just heard about it by others complaining on the internet). I don't know how it is now but I would expect it to be more 'balanced', or something.

So, long-windedness over, it depends on the player. When I first went agaist BA's I lost most of my force, other times got better and even beat them a couple of times (death company were a real pain). So, no matter the army, it depends on the player, his choice of forces etc., their strategy etc.,

This thread reminded me of a sp

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I found the first two Cain books at Games Workshop and bought them. The sales clerk recommended them as well - said he thought they were great. I will probably read the first one after I read the new SW: Republic Commando book (which is next on the reading list).

3. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I'm almost done with the first Ciaphas Cain book, and it only gets better as it goes on. :D

4. SilentSpeaker

Sep 24, 2005
    Huh? Sorry, I've just noticed that my link hasn't shown up (not that it matters, since it's not currently open. Just for future ref.)
    http://www.bolterandchainsword.com

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I went back and checked your post, SS - you forgot to give your link a name between the ][ so there was nothing to click on.

6. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Oh yeah, I won this on eBay the other day:

[image=http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/998/8b1b9es.jpg]

That's a Ciaphas Cain miniature, one of only 500 produced. It wasn't cheap, and I had to get it imported from England, but I'm still pleased. :)

Here's a pic of how it looks assembled (but unpainted), from the Black Library website:

[image=http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5496/caiphascaindiorama2nj.jpg]

7. SilentSpeaker

Sep 24, 2005
    I don't know, the last time I tried to post a link the same thing happened eg/
    I did this: (spaced so it doesn't disappear)
    B&C etc.
    then when I clicked "preview" it didn't show.
    I had to do this:
    B&C etc. (+)B&C (so another one outside the '[]'s)
    then it worked, I think that's how I did it?

Maybe I'm just as uncoordinated on the internet as in real life :p

Anyway, I'd like to read something 40k again and the bookstore I frequent happens to have Gaunt's Ghosts "Honor Guard". Problem is, I cannot remember if I have yet read "Necropolis" (I think I had bought it, but have left it in another country)

*Spoiler* To those who are familiar with it...
    Is this the one where there's some kind of city where deep inside there's a STC that makes the fabled 'Iron Men'. Only, when some boob starts it up the androids that come out are all chaos-infected? And there's like a fight between a rival guard unit (Dragoons something)

[unrelated:
    Whoa! got quite a bit of a shock just then! A sick looking crow landed in the front yard of my house. The neighbours came to warn. Man, I started getting all panicky about bird flu [face_whistling] or some other such nonsense. Turns out a cat just attacked it.*sigh of relief. Nervousness has been increasing over the coming weeks. Got to have a plan B about fleeing to that "other country" I keep referencing.]

8. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005

9. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Dawn of War and Winter Assault are great. I play skirmishes all the time.

Next expansion comes out later this year. They're adding two more races to the mix: Tau and Necrons.

10. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Yeah, but we already have a great Tau mod. I wish they would've worked on Necrons and Dark Eldar instead. Or tyranids. Or maybe, instead or more races, races closer to the codexes./ Bring in Devastator squads, Landspeeder squadrons. Or maybe make each race's color diferant. If you play BA, they will have a minor diferance than say BT. Or UT. Or DA. Ya know what i mean?

11. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I think the Tau were planned as the next expansion well before the fan-made Tau mod came out.
    Also, my money is on seeing another expansion after the next one, and it'll have Dark Eldar and the Inquisition (Daemonhunters/Witchhunters).
    The game developers have already said they will not be introducing the Tyranids in an expansion; they don't feel they could do the Tyranids justice, so instead of messing them up, they're just not going to do them at all.
    As for making things "closer" to the tabletop game, the game developers said that they made some design decisions for the sake of gameplay, even if that meant differing from the codecies on things. That's why there's no bike squadrons in DoW, since the Land Speeders basically fill that role, and there's no reason to have two units that do the same thing.

12. Bripe_Klmun

Bripe_Klmun Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    Hey - a 40K topic!

I started playing just after 2nd edition came out - I began with Space Marines, but quickly learned that everyone plays Space Marines. So, I went out and picked up a game called Space Hulk, fell in love with the Genestealers, and have been playing Tyranids ever since.

Unfortunately, I just joined a local gaming club in January, and someone ran off with my 4000-pt. 'Nid Army just shortly thereafter. :( Since I have no interest in any other army - I'm starting up again with 'Nids, having gotten a small handfull of models...the Hivefleet will be back in no time. Needless to say, I re-learned the valuable lesson of being careless with my things.

I'm really more a fan of the fluff than I am the game, and despite the prices, I love the models and books that Games Workshop puts out.

13. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Waitaminute, someone stole your army? That's pretty messed up.

I've got my Necron army packed away in, of all things, a tackle box. I bought it at Wal-Mart for $25 or so, and it's serving me well thus far. I've even got room for all of my paints, brushes, glues, fils, pin vice and bits, spare miniature bases... pretty much every supply I use except for spraypaint primer, really.
    This is what I keep my army in, in fact.

14. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I spent $30 on used WH40k novels at the local used-bookstore today. I picked up the complete Eisenhorn trilogy by Dan Abnett (in one big omnibus edition), the complete Inquisitor War trilogy by Ian Watson, and then another 4 short story anthology books.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    ^^^ Pretty good haul!

16. Bripe_Klmun

Bripe_Klmun Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    Yup...but like I said, it's pretty much my own fault for leaving them in a locked club overnight... :_| It was a really nicely painted army, as well - I'd won a couple prizes and mentions for them (not to mention the cost involved).

Had I not other things that took priority, like a family and a job, I'd flip out like a ninja over the whole thing.

17. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    They stole your Army? I cant belive it! What type of world is this?

18. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Welcome to earth.
    If you think that's the worst that your average citizen can do, then you're in for a big shock.

19. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Well, i'm not that naive. I've had some posesions of my own stolen, but i did it for 1: emphasis 2: Shock. I mean, it was in the game club, witch would be locked. Which means some slipery ******* from his gameing group took it. A bit more personal there.

20. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I finished the 3rd Ciaphas Cain book (good stuff), and I also read 'Fire Warrior' (AWESOME book). I'm now about 25 pages into the first Gaunt's Ghosts book.

21. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    IS the Fire warrrior game any good?

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I read Fire Warrior when it came out. It was pretty good. I am currently about a quarter of the way through Honor Guard. Not bad so far!

23. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I haven't played it yet, but the reviews I've heard have ranged from "mediocre" to "pretty damn bad".

24. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Got my Ciaphas Cain miniature today. I have NO idea how I'm going to paint it. It's way more intricate than I expected, and far exceeds anything I've done thus far.
    I'm tempted to try and get it professionally painted; I absolutely do NOT want to mess this miniature up. I spent far too much money on it to ruin it.

The diorama base is awesome, though. It's got Ciaphas Cain standing atop a pile of random corpses, including a Tyranid Warrior, an Ork Warboss' head, a Necron Warrior, a Necron Scarab, and some other stuff. It's hilarious.

25. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Hell, i'm sure you're a better painter than me. My models SUCK. I prefer buying them prepainted. Still, i suppose i have to learn....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.