main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Warhammer 40000(40K)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DarthReven, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I refuse to buy pre-painted stuff. I get more enjoyment out of painting and building the miniatures than I do playing the game, actually. :)

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It seems that every time I go in my local GamesWorkshop the salesperson is painting something. Nice job if you like painting minis!

3. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    Actualy, I LOVE building the guys. I just suck at painting them, so its anoying. I wish there were pre-painted, un built models...

Got any tips for a noobie painter?

4. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Practice practice practice. That's really the best advice I can give.

Buy a VERY small-tipped brush; it'll make it a lot easier to do details. Also, take your time and go slow

5. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    yeah, i am planning on getting a mini brush. Also, does a model look better with a black under-coat, or nothing at all?(on a red color)

6. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I always prime my miniatures before painting. It helps the paint stick to the miniature better. Different base colors will influence how all the other colors look, though. I've got 3 cans of spraypaint: black, white, and grey. I use the black the most often, though.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If you look at the link on the previous page, you'll see I posted some of my friend's Gold Demon winners. One of them, who calls himself "Rob Jedi", also has a website which has some of his painting tips on it. Given that Rob is astounding as a painter, you might want to check out his stuff: Rob Jedi's minis page.

Just a warning; whilst Rob's minis do look cool (his WEG Star Wars ones are fantastic), he does have some naughty minis of topless girls. Just a heads up in deference to the ToS.

E_S

8. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Well, do you think i should do a white under coat, or a black one? The Blood Angels Codex says to use white, but in the 4th edition main ruleset, a guys talks about the blood angels, and says to use black.........

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The painters I know (and who I get to paint my stuff) only use black.

E_S

10. SilentSpeaker

SilentSpeaker Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    If you prime them white, the red will be brighter, if primed black the red will be darker. There used to be a "Blood angels red" primer, it that still sold? (I remember vaguely that had stopped being made.)

11. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Black is great because it brings out all the little highlights and details with next to no effort, but then anything you paint over it will come out darker. White makes everything brighter, but then you've got to do extra work to make the details stand out (black washes, etc). It kinda comes down to where you want to do more work, because there's drawbacks for each.

I use black far more often than I use white.

12. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Oh yeah, he really should find a better host than Geocities. I haven't been able to view his site for more than 10 minutes at a time, because the bandwidth cap gets exceeded. It's pretty absurd.

13. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    I have to agree, black did add to the "detail" of the model. However, it messes up the yellow on the assualt troopers helmets. Still, i guess if i put enough yellow on it, it wont look like a mudy yellow....

14. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    You might be able to "build up" to the yellow - if you've got any white, or even a darker yellow or something, you could layer that down and then put the brighter yellow on top of it.

15. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Well, what i was planning to do was not paint the helmet with a black.( as i dont spray my undercoats). I thoughht that would be best.

16. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I always use spraypaint for the undercoat. I get an even coat that way, and it takes me all of 2 minutes to prime 6 models at once.

17. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Yeah, but my mum doesnt want me to use spray paint.....

18. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    It's not like spraypaint is dangerous (so long as you're pointing it AWAY from yourself, and not using it near an open flame). If nothing else, you could possibly ask her to do it for you, I suppose.

19. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    How do that metal look? Black under coat with sliver on top of it, right?

20. SilentSpeaker

Sep 24, 2005
    Painting boltguns?/knives?

There's a technique called drybrushing that you can try.However, I cannot remember whether it is a method that eventually ruins the brush, so I'd suggest using an old brush or something, the GW brushes aren't (well, weren'tI don't know how they are now) that good, so sacrifice one of those if you got the paint set.

Now, lets see if I got it right... Undercoat=black, then apply only a little Boltgun Metal to the brush, and well... paint! (do it lightly and quickly). It's imperative that not too much paint is on the brush, otherwise dark/worn metal look (dark in crevices and bright "highlights" on raised surfaces) will just be full metal coloured.
    More pressure = more silver on the black.

You can use washes to, I suppose (Armour wash? does that still exist? I mean, the store I went to where I live had all these old obscure citadel paints, some of which I was sure did not exist by the time I stopped playing).

(I did it again :( long windedness) well try it out, experiment if you managed to finish reading this w/o falling asleep :p
    And to anyone else, is what I have described correct? I really cannot remember.

21. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, a bunch of random minis and stuff came in the mail yesterday. I got a Necron Monolith (which I'm going to modify), a Battle for Macragge boxed set that I split with a friend (he plays Tyranids, so he got all the Tyranid models, and I wanted the Space Marines so I could make a custom squad), and a few inks I need to finish up my Ciaphas Cain miniature.

22. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    Now, al i need to is get a sliver..... You see, i bought 6 individual paint cannisters. They each had a colour on top, witch i what i went by. Stupid me, i didnt read what was on the top of the label of each of them. ( normaly it was just a normal number) Due to my bad luck, the green and silver i had chosen were acrtualy matt and gloss........ What do those do?

23. SilentSpeaker

Sep 24, 2005
    Matt and gloss... well, when the mini is assembled, primed, painted, based (and or flocked) one can apply a matt or gloss finish to well... finish! :p. It protects the paint on the mini, with extensive use (rough and tumble scrapes and scratches from gaming etc.) the paint will start to come off, those finishes help prevent that (though it's is easier to use the spray on type for multiple mini's).

Syntax- Lights huh, cool! :) I hope all goes well with it.

24. DarthReven

May 8, 2005
    I knew that, but what is the diferance between them?

25. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Glossy finishes appear shiny. Matte finishes are not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.