main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Warhammer 40k...where should I start?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by johnthejedi24, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I am starting to get into the warhammer 40k universe after playing the game fire warrior and reading up on this particular Sc-fi universe on various websites. I am currently almost finished reading the book "Let the galaxy burn" which is a collection of short stories set in the 40k universe. Where should I go after this?

I am thinking about picking up some of the gaunts ghost novels online or at the bookstore, but I don't no what I should really read first since I am a beginner to the 40k universe. Are the codexes any good for back-ground Information? I know that the 40k verse is HUGE and there are a **** load of novels out there. I am thinking about taking a break form star wars for awhile and need something different.

Any help would be appreciated![face_worried]

There are already two threads; one is here. I'm locking this because we don't need that many. In the future, please check the index before starting a new thread :)

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I jumped in by reading the Eisenhorn trilogy as the idea of an Inqusitor was interesting to me. I've read some of the Gaunts Ghost books and the Horus Heresy books. So far I like Dan Abnett's books the most. There is a Fire Warrior novel as well - it's pretty good. Since you are familiar with the game it might be a good one to start with. I've got Fire Warrior in the PS2 pile but haven't gotten to it. (I buy games quicker than I play).

3. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Theres a thread around here somewhere..

Anyways, WH40ks continuity isn't as rigid as SW's so things change.

Where you start depends on what you like. there really is no comprehensive "story" it skips around a lot,

the Horus Heresy series is GW/BLs first attempt at making a tight series by multiple authors (and Abnett writes the 1st book)

Most of the other series merely just focus on 1 unit or 1 set of characters (such as Gaunts Ghosts, the Last Chancers, Eisenhorn, and Ravenor etc.) as long as you read in order you wont be confused. Be warned.. the Ghosts series is very very long (what its 12 books now?)

If you dont know much about the universe or wanna know how it got so screwed up as it is now, read Horus Heresy first (its on going with 3 books out currently).. I love it.

EDIT:

Ohh yeah, HH isnt really Warhammer 40k, its 10,000 years earlier.. its WH30k :D

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've read the first four Gaunt's Ghosts novels and enjoyed all of them. I'd continue with the rest of them but book 5 is proving hard to find. I've not read any of the others though, but I'd like to read the Horus Heresy novels as it's a conflict that interests me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.