main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Warner Bros. embargoes film review until Friday - Harry Knowles review here...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by FloridaFilmGuy, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloridaFilmGuy

FloridaFilmGuy Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 1, 2000
    Technically, there is an embargo on film review until the movie opens on Friday. That was for those attending press screenings, although some reviewers gave not respected the emabargo...

Ain't It Cool News was asked to pull its reviews today. They (WB) are selectively enforcing the embargo, because the Associated Press review is all over the web...

Harry Knowles hated the movie. With a passion.

Here is his review, which you can't find on aintitcoolnews.com anymore, since it was pulled.
    I tried cleaning up the language as best I could, if anything slipped mods, I'm sorry...
    Here it is:

-----------

Harry hated THE CLONE WARS!

I?ve never hated a STAR WARS film before. I have weathered Jar Jar and any number of Ewoks. I survived Hayden and a wooden Portman. I even accepted Jake Lloyd. I handled all that because it felt like STAR WARS.

I can accept all of Lucas? flaws, so long as at its heart it felt like Star Wars. I can deal with politics in Star Wars. I can deal with trade skirmishes in Star Wars. I can deal with musical numbers, breathing in the vacuum of space. Basically ? so long as it feels like STAR WARS ? I can watch any of it.

Was I looking forward to STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS (2008)?

***kin? A!

I was dying. After Genndy?s CLONE WARS ? I felt that perhaps Lucas ?got it? ? and that this new animated series was taking a lead from Tartakovsky?s brilliant assembly of pieces. Genndy?s CLONE WARS got STAR WARS better than anyone has got it since Lawrence Kasdan and Irvin Kershner. Genndy took designs and characters that folks were dissatisfied with and made them cool. He did this by using and adapting the themes created by John Williams, the wholly perfect entity involved with Star Wars along with? the sound effects of Ben Burtt. He understood speed and motion ? not just with action, but in editing. He understood classic film composition and iconography. And he knows what BADASS is.

The folks behind this STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS movie? you could tell, they looked at what Genndy did ? but they didn?t understand any of it. There?s a ****load of battles and ***** going boom. There?s noise everywhere ? fury everywhere? but none of it is directed. The music by Kevin Kiner is criminally bad. Why they didn?t employ Paul Dinletir and James Venable is beyond me. No, no ? let?s hire the composer of WALKER, TEXAS RANGER. Ahem.

Now ? I made excuses for this film as I was watching it. I don?t think you understand how much I love STAR WARS. Maybe you do, maybe you do too.

Before the movie started I was firing myself up to go out after the film and buy that new $200 Hasbro Millenium Falcon. I really wanted to go buy it, and I wanted this movie to empower my brain to go through with that.

Instead, I found myself at home ? putting on Genndy?s THE CLONE WARS ? to try and rebuild my passion ? so I can go get that new Falcon.
    Instead ? I?m thinking I?ll just be here at home enjoying this and that?ll be all I need.

Anyway ? as I was watching the film, I was excusing the sloppy shots, the sloppy use of the Clone Troopers and Droids ? undoing all the awesome work that Genndy had done ? and the droids are silly again. The Clone Troopers are limp. And the Jedi ? they?re at 25% power from the mind of Genndy. But I was accepting that. I figured that was Lucas dialing back so that the animated series wouldn?t overpower his features.

Then they introduced Baby Jabba aka Rotta the Huttlet aka Stinky. At the point of this character?s introduction ? it officially became, the worst character in the history of STAR WARS. If you hate George Lucas cutsiepoo bull**** ? oooooooh boy. You?re gonna have a field day of venting and hatred directed at this unbelievably ****ing awful little ****.

Oh ? but wait? Little Stinky the Hutt isn?t the worst character in the history of STAR WARS? because Stinky got introduced earlier in the film.

As much as I hated lil Stinky? I was weathering Stinky. I seriously was. But later there was a character of such immense **** ? offensively bad.

The character was so ba

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't know what's worse, the fact that Harry believes Tartakovski, Kershner and Kasdan were the only ones who "got" what Star Wars was "supposed to be", or that the reason he wanted to like the Clone Wars was so he could trick himself into rationalizing a $200 plastic falcon that doesn't even fly.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Redirecting to the existing Reviews thread where this is already being discussed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.