main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Warning: Double Posts

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Bazinga'd , Jul 2, 2014.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    There are a number of people not paying attention to the rules about double posting. In general they can be considered spamming and in violation of the TOS. If possible, use the edit button to add new material to a post. If you accidentally double post, immediately edit your own and delete the content. If thats not possible, PM me so that I can delete it

You will get warning for failing to obey this policy. Second and subsequent violations are likely to put you on a temporary vacation from the JCF.

This is not a specific PT policy. It applies throughout the JCF.

Edit: If your browser is not allowing you to edit and you get a warning, please PM me so that I know your situation.

If you have any questions, PM me.

TX-20 likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I just had a user asking about that in the Comms Tech thread. I think his problem is' because of the Firefox edit issue as he said he'd had to double post since he couldn't edit. If users are double-posting due to that, check out this thread in Comms for work-arounds.

Kao Cen Darach likes this.
  3. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    LAJ_FETT If its a technical issue causing the double post, then there is no problem. This issue is really to address people making multiple different posts in a row after being reminded not to do so.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Is this *REALLY such a big deal?

I would have thought these day's the number one priority for the administration is to make the forums as enjoyable and pleasant as possible to encourage people to stick around and talk about Star Wars here as opposed to the multitude of other places/media/networks they can use to talk about Star Wars.

In general the MS should be ditching as many of the old TOS violations as possible and away from the serious stuff like flaming/baiting/swearing should essentially just let people get on and do what they like.

I can't really believe that you would seriously go as far as actually banning someone for "double posting". I mean, really?

"Light touch moderating" works far better than anything else (exception may be the Episode VII SA forum where the traffic levels may or may not demand a greater level of moderation) but other than that I don't see a problem at all with double or even even triple post's, particularly in social threads, YJCC, SWC, etc...

5. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    G-FETT

I understand your legitamate concerns and hopefully this will clarify the rationale for having to restate the rule.

There are some habitual and intentional double posters that were destroying thread continuity. However, in practice, banning will used only as a last resort. All we are asking is that people just post smarter.

This rule also does not apply when double posts are created by technical glitches in web browsers.

6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well,you know your forum better than anybody else, but I think this rule should be used very much as sparingly as possible and on a "case by case" and "thread by thread" basis.

If somebody happens to post two, very interesting, thoughtful posts "back to back" in a thread, then I would have thought that should be completely fine. If someone is spamming the thread with multiple, single word or single sentence post's (particularly if they are off topic) then clearly they are spamming the thread and should be dealt with as such.

Then again, in social threads and community forums like this one;

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-fantastic-ian-mcdiarmid.6906551/page-520

I would say there's really no need to apply this this rule at all. Let's just relax and have a good time as much as possible.

Just my two-pennith, LOL.

Darth Rycbar, SlashMan and LottDodd like this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    G-FETT I appreciate your feedback. My intent is to use this sparingly. No one likes unnessary rules regarding internet (and more specifically this forum) posting. But sometimes its needed to procedural or technical reasons. Also, we know about some of the editing limitations on some browers, and that sometimes a long post needs to be broken up. I am very cognizant of the sensitivity of this.

8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I also have a question about this

In the event that the window for editing a post passes and someone wants to make another post, yet no one else posts for a while, what's the rule about that?
    I don't understand why there's an editing time limit anyway lol

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just wasn't aware that so many people were double posting here. *shrug*

Lit has a 90-minute edit window that the MS might want to consider implementing in the PT and CT forums as those are not as heavily trafficked as, say, the ST forum or even SWTV, which has new material.

10. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Is this *REALLY such a big deal?
    -----------

In my opinion no.

Seems very nit picky and heavy handed to me.

I'd rather a post about "tolerating all opinions as long as the opinions are expressed respectfully" than a thread soley on "NO DOUBLE POSTS!" triple posts are an eyesore, but not double

But that's just me.

11. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I appreciate your tolerance for technical issues. I'm ground zero for technical issues so its nice to have a mod that isn't just a robot that blindly administers the TOS.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Isn't one of the Forums on here for only 30 minutes? Yeah. That one is way too short.

13. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Why not just make it so you can edit until someone posts after you? I know its possible because I've seen it before, would the mods be interested in that?

14. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    what happens if someone posts 0.00000001 second after you? :p

like say in a busy thread, no one would be able to edit posts then :p

15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    At times it is. The problem aren't people who write another post some time after they were the last one to post, the problem is that some people post five times in a row in a matter of minutes, mostly just writing one or two lines. Afterwards a mod has to come in and clean up the thread, which is unnecessary time the mod has to spend. It's just common courtesy to edit a post instead of adding one new one after another if something else came to your mind. It's also better for the discussion, as a whole.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I felt unduly chastised in a thread I have been posting in for twelve years now... A thread that has been moved several times and continued on through each incarnation of the JCForums. I have never been banned, and try to keep my posts either thoughtful, or comical. I don't pick fights, troll, or insult other members. Nor do I try to excessively post.

The Fantastic In McDiarmid thread is a special thread to me. The FIGS is eternal, and at one point it really was a Temple. I was the Spiritual Leader of the FIGS for a while (I'm not the only one who has held that title) and while I know that sounds ridiculous, it was a position I took seriously. I have lovingly tried to maintain the threads unique sense of inspired lunacy during the long dark years after prequel excitement wound down and activity in this forum slowed. Yes I've double posted in the past, usually weeks or months apart if you check the timestamps. But lately activity had been picking up and new and old members had been showing themselves in the thread. A joke had been made, and I laughed in response, a one liner "Wait, the cinnamon rolls are back?" (Or something to that effect), a few hours later, I added to the joke (and tried to goad another ex spiritual leader to continue in the frivolity) with a FIGS insider bit of comedy from about 2004 or so.

I hadn't realised I was breaking the rules, overloading the system, or taking over the forum or thread with my multiple erroneous posts. No one had ever complained before.

So I apologize if my behavior has been out of line with the official rules.

I love the JC Forums. I love the FIGS. I had not realized I had become a nuisance.

Sith-I-5 and Darth Dominikkus like this.
  17. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    LottDodd You have not become a nuisance and I appologize if you feel chastized. It was not my intent.

If you want to talk about this more, please PM me. I do think the above discussion encapsulates some of the issues at play well.

The issue about the 30-min time limit has a lot of merit. I will bring it up with MS.

LottDodd likes this.
  18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Is the sole intention to stop people trying to drastically increase their post counts? I've seen forums where people do that as they see post count as a way of elevating their status within the forum. But from what I've seen in my short time here is that doesn't seem to be the case. Theres just a lot of discussion going on, on many different subjects. This is especially true of the threads that are getting a lot of traffic and there are lots of interesting viewpoints being expressed. I can log on in the morning and miss 5 or more pages of activity on a particular thread.

In that instance one of the problems I've found is that you see a post that tweaks your interest and so you quote it and reply. You then go back or forward a few pages in the thread and you see another post, so you think I'll quote that one too and reply as well. But to comply with the rules you have to edit your first post which could be 5 pages away (unless someone has posted in the mean time). Its not the end of the world, but I can see why people go to a different page see something that interests them and just reply at the bottom of the particular page they on, its easy to forget the rule. I've done it and got flagged for it. Another option is to quote the post that interests you and export that text to a word document so you can keep adding if necessary and then finally copy and paste all that text and import it to the forum, but thats not what using forums should be about.

I think increasing the time limit is the best way to go so that you can have some time to edit you post if you feel the need to add another quote or another point thats sprung to your mind on top of your last post.

19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    AndyLGR I am working the time limit issue with the rest of the Mods, so stay tuned. I think initially there was concern about artificially inflating a post count, but I agree that does not seem to be a problem.

I agree with most of the concerns expressed in this thread. As a result I am going to be as flexible as I can.

20. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    At times it is. The problem aren't people who write another post some time after they were the last one to post, the problem is that some people post five times in a row in a matter of minutes, mostly just writing one or two lines.
    ----------------

you've hit on something there (bold mine) this sometimes happens in a social thread in SWC, some people post say 2 or 3 or even 5 hours later to see if anyone is there, even if they were the last to post, is that considered a violation of double posting? @ Baz

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Crystalia Technically yes. But the circumstances will determine what course of action, if any is warranted. You are not going to get a hard and fast rule here.

22. Crystalia

Feb 24, 2013
    ok, thank you for the response :)

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And if it were after a couple days if not more? I've done that once or twice myself.

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    ^ Again, it will depend on the circumstance. But the longer posts are sperated in time, it will make it considerably less likely that I will even mention the "double post"

25. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I would like to know as well