main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Warning - Fake Facebook Emails

Discussion in 'Communications' started by LAJ_FETT , Mar 21, 2013.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I know a lot of you are on Facebook so I'm putting up a warning that there's currently a surge in fake Facebook phishing emails. I got one at one of the email addresses I use here and I'm not even on Facebook! Mine had a subject line of a 'message from the Facebook IT Department'. I didn't even open it - binned it as spam immediately. However in Googling around I saw quite a few references dated earlier in March that warned about them. So if you're getting Facebook emails about invalid addresses in your profile, incomplete profiles, etc that claim to come from Facebook think twice before clicking the link. If you are unsure go to Facebook from a link that you have bookmarked and log in.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Thanks for the courteous public service announcement. Good looking out, ma'am.

Habit...

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    She's not a sir, poopie.

As a rule, I never open any email from FB... the alerts on my page are fine. I haven't checked the email I use for FB in over a year... maybe two.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Force of habit. Although, I could justify it as some degree of Peppermint Patty & Marcy relationship.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    To be fair, for a lot of years, I thought LAJ was a he too.[face_blush]

Edit: As for the Facebook stuff, given that I don't have Facebook, I have my emails set to automatically send anything from Facebook into Spam.

6. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    Personally, I never cared for FB since its inception, but my grandkids are all over it.
    I'll warn them.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Thanks for the warning LAJ!

(srsly, how would I survive without this site? Who needs the daily news when you can just login to the JC?:p)

Juliet316 likes this.