1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Richmond,VA Warning to all with a saber or....

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by StrangeWings, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangeWings

    StrangeWings Jedi Youngling star 1

    Jun 10, 2005
    anything else that takes batteries. As a few of you remember from the cookout I had a spare battery with me for my saber. After I got home I was sitting there and all of the sudden it felt like my leg was on fire in my pocket. I reached in and almost burned my hand on the battery that was in my pocket. I pulled it out and threw it across the room. I wasnt on fire but man was that thing hot. the only thing I can think of is I had my knife in the same pocket and the contacts on the battery were touching the knife for a long time. So a word to the wise....keep your batteries wrapped.:oops:
  2. James3

    James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

    Apr 7, 2006
    Yep, that is a common problem with the 9 volts and other sizes with the terminals on the same side. your knife caused a dead short across positve and negative which pretty much cooks the battery. Did it get hot enough to bulge? It is less common with the non-mercury batteries but when they burst they can burn pretty bad.

    I used to carry 9volts in my pocket when I was doing alarm services the best way to do it is to cover the terminals with electrical tape or if you have a batch the stagger them by connecting them together.
  3. JoeRichmondVA

    JoeRichmondVA Jedi Padawan star 4

    Aug 18, 2006
    I had the same thing happen with some rechargeable AA's I had dropped in my pocket with my keys. Not a fun feeling. You might have noticed one of Ambo's 9v had a bulge in it, I think that is due to it making contact with the inside of the hilt. I have taken to wrapping my 9v's in electrical tape before I drop them in to prevent this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.