JCC Warp Power's Chicago Pile Moment May Be Upon Us

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chancellor_Ewok, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Still got more hair than Shatner.
  2. Likewater Jedi Master

star 4
    Is it even feasable for a terrestrial based sociaty to go straight to interstellar? You can practice life at sea in a local lake or bay, and the real ocean can still kick your backside.

Would not interstellar travel eventually natural develop after centuries if not millenia inter planetary civilization, it is kinda crazy to plan for interstellar craft when even build a base, let alone settle the moon, let alone all the other planets and moons.

One would expect the solutions to micro meteriods and steller radiation will develop after we have to regularly start dealing with micrometeriods and stellar radiation. Also the all important job of building an industrial base in space.

Someone once said the problem with nasa is that it is a organization for engineers by engineers, I can start seeing why that is a problem.
  3. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 10
    Deflector tech? In fact such a thing has been successfully tested on tanks but has yet to be placed on the battelfield to my knowledge. It was just a very powerful charged field done over a decade ago.

The only reason I mentioned a magnetic field comes from older ideas concerning magentic ramscoops that could project a magnetic cone ahead of them many thousands of miles long and wide. The problem (among many) was that matetr tended to collect within and it would make a great break and shiled at high speeds.

The onyl thing that got "out there" with Rama was that Clarke threw in a space drive for propulson. Otherwise a gigantic rotating cyclinder is nothing new or impossible just very expensive.
  4. I Are The Internets SFTC Tiemaster (Nov '16)

star 8
    Warp speed always has that annoying tendency to randomly send a crew's ship to hell and back.
  5. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    the senate?

[IMG]

pictured: a senate moderator
  6. Adam of Nuchtern Jedi Master

star 4
  7. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    That's not a "principle." Just a fact that becomes an increasingly asinine assertion the more broadly it is applied. No individual component of immortality is "physically impossible" either. Do you mean to tell me that one day humans will never die?
  8. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 8
    so brave
  9. Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Where have you been? People have been predicting negligible senescence within the century.

Frankly your skepticism would seem more compelling if it wasn't so constant and monotone about basically everything.
    Last edited by Emperor_Billy_Bob, Mar 27, 2013
  10. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I only regret that neither of s will be alive to laugh at the ridiculousness of that remark.
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  11. Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. Likewater Jedi Master

star 4
    really, cause by brain opperates on what? 20watts and has never overheated. Not so with the, endless computers i have gone through. I don't put much stock in the singularity, especially our longest lasting recording devices have been for the past 10,000 years to today a chisle and a flat rock.
  13. I Are The Internets SFTC Tiemaster (Nov '16)

star 8
    WE WON'T NEED GIFS WHERE WE'RE GOING
    Rogue_Ten likes this.
  14. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Boyish dreams lifted from B sci-fi movies=Everything
    Last edited by Jabba-wocky, Mar 27, 2013
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Tyrant

Manager
    star 8
  16. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 8
    From the people who think warp power is about to be discovered:

[IMG]
  17. hudzu Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    so hang on, do we have warp drive yet or not?
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  18. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    Has anyone mentioned the idea that if we really do manage to get a real warp drive going (which I think will happen), we'll be sending out a signature to any intelligent life out there more advanced than us? This is something that happens in Trek, of course, but I think it's a pretty reasonable concept.
  19. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 8
    We do, if by warp you mean VLM's and EBB's views of physics.
  20. Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    1. I wasn't aware that I had expressed views on physics
    2. When you wrote that, did you snap your fingers and triangulate your head, then go "Mhhhhmmmmm" like a sassy black woman?

That would be a better comeback if it was remotely true and/or expressive of self-awareness.
    Last edited by Emperor_Billy_Bob, Mar 28, 2013
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  21. Likewater Jedi Master

star 4
    the "carefull of the attention you call down on yourself" I feel that, but its going to be a long while till anyone is able to build one. Though I would prefer if nasa would concentrate on a space elevator, which would be more inline with short term achievable goals.
  22. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 8
    In which today, EBB learns that the topic of FTL does indeed involve physics. See, you're learning.
  23. Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I never went into FTL travel...You are strawmanning me brah.
  24. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 8
    ....in which EBB learns that warp travel is a form of FTL.

The journey of learning continues for our young laymen! Next time, EBB tackles quantum chromodynamics. Will he succeed? Find out in our next episode.
  25. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    ASTEROID SHIELD, PEOPLE!! HAVE WE FORGOTTEN RUSSIA ALREADY?! DO YOU HAVE THE ATTENTION SPAN OF A GNAT?!
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Mar 28, 2013
    Darth_Invidious likes this.