main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady - NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC Is Padmé a Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by leia_naberrie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Just speculating here, but I think Padmé will sacrifice her life attempting to save Anakin. No matter how dire things look, she will never give up on him even if it means risking her own skin. The prequels show a pattern of Padmé leaving safe havens to risk her life. She goes back to Naboo to evict the Trade Federation herself, she leaves Tatooine to rescue Obi-Wan on Geonosis. I have a feeling she will do something similar in ROTS but this time her luck will run out :(.

--MissPadme

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oooh, MissPadme, I think I agree.

3. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I'm going with either childbirth or a fighting accident. They're really common ways of death, considering the amount of trouble Padme's gonna have in Episode III... It'd be a sucky way for such a main charector to die, but considering how many near-fatal accidents Padme gets into in Episode II, it's possible for her to die this way.

(just speculation, of course)

4. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    For the record... I think that she'll die on-screen either in an ugly, lingering fashion or very, very suddenly.

Now on the subject of who does her in...If it's him, it would serve to explain the attempts not to even remember Anakin and the sense of the lack of any possibility of redemption. That is until an avatar of her shows him that it's possible.

Which in and of itself is an interesting comment about Lady Skywalker and her role in all of this.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I want on-screen, lingering, fighting. Childbirth would be so sad because you're like "What?! She survived psychokitty and zam wessel and got taken down by 12 combined pounds of baby fat?!"

6. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    The concept of suicide is definitely not one I have ever considered. [face_thinking] I think Padme loves Anakin enough to sacrifice her life for him if she is really convinced that she needs to but I find it hard to envision a scenario where she could be persuaded that she would need to. It certainly will tell a lot about the metarmorphisis her character will undergo in Episode 3 for her to think that suicide is a viable option.

7. Jedi_Bant

Jedi_Bant Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2004
    *I want on-screen, lingering, fighting. Childbirth would be so sad because you're like "What?! She survived psychokitty and zam wessel and got taken down by 12 combined pounds of baby fat?!"*

It depends on the conditions of her childbirth, I think... Lots of women dying giving birth to children every day. Padme is no exception and let's not forget that she's going to be bearing a child - children - in the middle of a lot of political unrest.

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    True about childbirth. I think my ideal right now is that she faces down Vader, he mortally wounds her, Obi-Wan fights him off, then gets her the heck out of there. She's hanging onto life by her fingernails and the stress of the whole thing puts her into labor. She lives long enough to hold them, but dies.

9. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    I see a plot bunny coming on in that one, Ish. ;)

Speaking of bunnies, has anyone even tried the challenge? :( Do you guys want to do something else? I'm open to suggestions! :D

10. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    To kill the childbirth problem, we've got to go back to what Leia said about her real mother when Luke asked about her in Jedi.

LUKE: Leia... do you remember your mother? Your real mother?

LEIA: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.

LUKE: What do you remember?

LEIA: Just... images, really. Feelings.

LUKE: Tell me.

LEIA: (a little surprised at his insistence) She was very beautiful. Kind but... (looks up) sad. Why are you asking me this?

LUKE: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.*

Now for Leia to remember that her mother was beautiful, she'd have to have lived beyond childbirth. I'm sure most mothers agree, they don't look their prettiest when giving birth. :p She'd have to live for some time after birthing the twins. The question then will be who decides on where the twins should go? I'd guess that it would be Padmé's decision to send Luke to Owen and Beru since she knows them, knows what type of people they are. I'm sure that she'd live long enough to see that her children are hidden away in safety, then if she thinks she can, she'll try and see what she can do politically against the Emperor and Vader.

I know there can be great debate about how far back our memories go, that Leia has a better memory than Luke, but I'd think she'd live longer than just long enough to hold them. It's really a puzzle as to Padmé's fate in Revenge of the Sith; some people may like what George has in store for her, some may not.

* from The Annotated Screenplays

11. Jedi_Bant

Apr 13, 2004
    So does that mean that Padme is likely to be alive at the end of Episode 3? I don't think that is very likely. It will mean extending the saga to complete *her* story.

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I have plot bunnies for various deaths.

1) Message to My Daughter: Padme dies when Leia's two of heart problems.

2) All the Wrong Places: Padme dies in a lightsaber duel with Vader. Luke and Leia are both held by her, but Leia receives regular visits from her until Padme has to leave her forever.

3) All those who take the sword: Padme goes into hiding on Alderaan, but after a year of watching her daughter with a different mother, she asks to be assigned to the Rebellion off-world and is captured. We do not know if she dies.

4) Eye of the Beholder: Similar to #1. Padme's dying of a coronary disorder, Vader feels it and he knows if he's allowed to, he can heal her, but the Force makes them come to each other in a dream/vision. In it, they have to face away from each other until dawn and decide if her survival is worth what they'd have to go through. He doesn't trust her enough and turns to look at her because he knows she's still lying to him. As she basically has one last heart attack in his arms, he recognizes that she hasn't been lying.

13. Jedi_Bant

Apr 13, 2004
    It looks like I've read a lot of your stories. They are really very good!

14. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    In response to Ander's quote from Jedi (don't worry no spoilers):

Leia's recollections as described in Return of the Jedi have no inherent flaws and are valid given the greater context of the saga. But I suspect those looking for contradictions always find them. -Pablo Hidalgo

Hmm... makes you wonder (for the record, I'm a huge fan of Padme dying dramatically in ROTS)...

15. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Question - won't anyone try a hand at the Challenge topic? :(

16. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I did write a story for the challenge. When do you want them up?

--MissPadme

17. darththunderbird

darththunderbird Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2003
    Now for Leia to remember that her mother was beautiful, she'd have to have lived beyond childbirth

But we know that Leia is force-sensetive..so maybe her 'feelings' and 'images' were force portrayed to her during her time in the womb, or just in general. Maybe she has a feeling through the force of what her mother was like. When you watch the movie, as she says those lines, her facial expression seems as though shes realizing these 'feelings' for the first time, that shes suprised she even knows anything about her.

I know that in all probibility Padme dies, but it is my eternal hope that she goes off into hiding on some remote planet.

18. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Post your story here any time you want to, MissPadme. :)

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm guessing she'll go in a battle, fighting against the Imperial Forces. But that's just my guess. :D

20. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Oops! Missed your reply MissPadme... I'd like them up as soon as you can click Send. :D Thanks Knight-Ander! :D

I know that in all probibility Padme dies, but it is my eternal hope that she goes off into hiding on some remote planet.

:_| :_| ROTS is going to be such a cry fest! :(

VaderLVR64: Hi you! :D Welcome to the thread!
    Interesting idea there about Padme... It certainly fits into the character we know from the films. She's hardly like to cool her heels and watch other people fight around her.

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I posted mine.

22. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Great! Those stories were wonderful people :D . Expect some long juicy reviews from me soon. :D

23. nadenaberrie

nadenaberrie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    Just wondering when another challenge thread will be up... I was rather disappointed that I missed this last one; I lost the story that I'd typed up and just found it on a floppy yesterday, alas, it's not September anymore. :(

Anywho, this is one of my favorite threads, so I'm waiting ever-so-patiently for an update... ;)

24. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Go to the thread and add it anyways, nadenaberrie. I don't think anyone will hold it against you. :D ;)

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'd love another challenge. Maybe her before getting married? Or her when the Trade Federation came?

Or the last time she sees Anakin, NSA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.