Characters Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady - NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC Is Padmé a Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by leia_naberrie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    The De-Masking Begins

First off, here are the Bunnies again with their sock authors next to them:

A, The Phantom Menace era: the Queen's ship doesn't land on Tatooine, it lands on Endor!

Diversion, Written by Darth-Miscellaneous.

---------

B, Padmé first suspects and then confirms that she's carrying Anakin's child.

It must include the words:

- ebullient
    - hypnagogic
    - infant
    - recalcitrant
    - tutelary

And the sentence - "What will Anakin think?"

Restless Night, Written by Gentle_Lady.

---------

C, The reasons for Padme's switchover to Senator after finishing her role as Naboo Queen are a tad unclear. She couldn't refuse Jamillia? Let's say there's a good reason why Padme could not refuse to become a Senator.

You get to dream that reason up.

Brainstorming: can be written in the "present tense"--as in, as the decision is being made--or it can be a reflective story, where Padmé remembers why she is working in the Senate at all. There are some helpful hints to help you dream something up.

Must also include an appearance by a handmaiden of your choice.

Best of Intentions, Written by Vix_Anne.

---------

D, Write Padme as a Superhero in that respective city, i.e. if you choose Catwoman, then place her in Gotham City. You can have other SW characters along with her, but she is the only one who can be a Superhero.
  2. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    And the masks come off!

The De-Masking

A, The Phantom Menace era: the Queen's ship doesn't land on Tatooine, it lands on Endor!

Plot bunny submitted by Knight-Ander!

Diversion, Written by Darth-Miscellaneous a.k.a. RX_Sith.

---------

B, Padmé first suspects and then confirms that she's carrying Anakin's child.

It must include the words:

- ebullient
    - hypnagogic
    - infant
    - recalcitrant
    - tutelary

And the sentence - "What will Anakin think?"

Plot bunny submitted by Jade_Max!

Restless Night, Written by Gentle_Lady a.k.a. Knight-Ander.

---------

C, The reasons for Padme's switchover to Senator after finishing her role as Naboo Queen are a tad unclear. She couldn't refuse Jamillia? Let's say there's a good reason why Padme could not refuse to become a Senator.

You get to dream that reason up.

Brainstorming: can be written in the "present tense"--as in, as the decision is being made--or it can be a reflective story, where Padmé remembers why she is working in the Senate at all. There are some helpful hints to help you dream something up.

Must also include an appearance by a handmaiden of your choice.

Plot bunny submitted by Luna_Nightshade!

Best of Intentions, Written by Vix_Anne a.k.a. Jade_Max.

---------

D, Write Padme as a Superhero in that respective city, i.e. if you choose Catwoman, then place her in Gotham City. You can have other SW characters along with her, but she is the only one who can be a Superhero.

Plot bunny submitted by RX_Sith!
  3. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    Fun Stats [face_clown] :

• Knight_Ander Guessed Who closest, guessing all the correct writers and plot bunny originators except Luna_Nightshade. He also had the most ironic sock name - Gentle_Lady. :p

• Jade_Max a.k.a. Vix_Anne was the first to complete her entry, 'Best of Intentions'.

• RX_Sith a.k.a. Darth_Miscelleanous wrote the longest entry 'Diversion', clocking a word count of 4,659! :eek: :eek:

Well done to all plot bunny originators and writers! =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

@};- @};- @};- @};- @};-

4. Jade_Max Force Ghost

star 5
    =D==D= Way to be, Knight_Ander!

Great job, everyone! These were a lot of fun to write, and to come up with a challenge for someone else lol!

Thanks for such a fun challenge, leia_naberrie!

5. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Cheers to everyone ( =D= =D= =D= ), but especially me. :p

Well, Warrior-Queen was already taken, but Gentle_Lady seemed more appropriate for the occassion. I didn't consider the "irony" part, but... [face_laugh]
  6. Jade_Max Force Ghost

star 5
    *chuckle* All the same, I now have a sock I can use for other things - or if I want to post something incognito lol!

Ideads for the next challenge.... do we have any, or can we post them in the thread? :D
  7. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    It might be better to send via PM. I actually have an idea from RX_Sith for a challenge but yours will definitely be used, if not right away, and I will of course, give credit. :p
  8. Jade_Max Force Ghost

star 5
    Sounds cool :D I sent you a note... *grin*

*waits eagerly for the next challenge*
  9. Lady_Eirtae Force Ghost

star 2
    I am sorry I missed the challenges but darth RL kind of does that to you!

I can't wait for the next ones and hopefully I can get involved!
  10. WQGL Jedi Knight

Lady_Eirtae's addition to our Round Robin has just been added here.

Since we are about to close the first "Book" in Padmé's life, I've asked leia_naberrie to take on the task of writing the final entry in this one and she has kindly accepted that honor. I was thinking that we start a new thread for the next "Book" in Padmé's story: The Phantom Menace Era. Sound like a good idea? :)

KA
  11. Lady_Eirtae Force Ghost

star 2
    I think it sounds like a good idea. It has been far too quiet!!
  12. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah it has, hasn't it? Sorry about that. I've been quite busy. But if anyone would like to help me host the next couple of projects I have for this thread: A writing challenge and a newsletter, I'd be grateful to pass on the necessary materials.
  13. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    I've visited here in the past, but not for a while. I have only had one previous Round robin experience and it was a good one. I didn't read back very far, so could someone enlighten me as the nature of this round robin and how I might get involved?
  14. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    brodiew: It's quite simple. We're writing Padmé?s biography, literally from cradle to grave. The writers take turns adding a chapter to her life in chronological order.
  15. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    *coughs at all the dust*

Yikes, it has been awhile since anybody has posted in here.

*calls maintenance for a cleaner droid*

While we wait, I was visiting my local bookstore yesterday and stumbled upon a copy the manga-like comicbook collection of "Clone Wars Admentures: Volume 7" which is inspired by the Clone Wars cartoons. Each of the four stories is filled with fun and excitement, one of which stars our beloved Padmé Naberrie in "Spy Girls" which could also be called "Bail's Babes" (as in "Charlie's Angels"). While at an opulent VIP gala hosted by Senator Bezz Drexx, Padmé and Senator Organa's lovely assistant Sheltay search for evidence that Drexx is taking bribes from the Separtists. While Our Heroine starts in the slinky-black fireplace-scene gown, hair done-up like Leia's-cinne-buns hair-style, she changes into something more... athletic as she and Sheltay skulk past Drexx's guards. While Captain Typho warned her not to do anything rash at the beginning of the story, that's exactly what they seem to be doing, and when Sheltay points out the fact, as they dodge and overpower the guards, Padmé makes a very characteristic speech as they sneak-up on another unsuspecting guard.

He thinks we should leave the dangerous work to the Jedi and the clones. But Sheltay, we can't just sit back and let others defend our freedoms for us. The jedi and the clone army are stretched too thin. In the end, we have only each other to rely on. And sometimes defending freedom means shocking the daylights out of someone.

She then proceeds to use a super-powered joy-buzzer on a muscle-bound guard. :p In the end, Our Heroine, with characteristic Clone Wars-smirk on her face, is able to back-flip her way out of danger (I didn't realize Padmé was a gymnast, too) and escape with the evidence they need. Quite an entertaining story to say the least.

*there is a knock at the door, followed by a team of cleaner-droids*

Ah, they should have this place cleaned and fresh in no time. :)

So, what should we discuss next? Does the above story sound like something the movie version of Padmé would do as opposed to the cartoon version? What do you think?
  16. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, let me point out, in AoTC, Captain Typho worries that it is Padme he's worried about doing something rash, more than Anakin, so he knows she is prone to doing these things. Then later she proves his concerns are true as Anakin is sulking over having to follow orders, and Padme says, (i'm paraphrasing) "well, since you have to stay with me to protect me, and I'm going to go to go to rescue Obi-wan, you have to come anyway, so let's go." Then later in the movie while in the Arena, she climbs the pillar and uses the chain to belt the nexu creature.

So it's definitely something the Movie version of Padme would do. And the cartoon version seems to do rather risky things as well.

So, I'd say it's both.

It's not until RoTS that she's delicate and not so adventurous... i guess pregnacy does that to a senator. :p
  17. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    I see your point. I guess I was thinking more of ROTS-Padmé and not AOTC-Padmé when I read the story.
  18. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I kinda thought that was the case. I also forgot to point out she wasn't exactly a slouch in TPM, either, carrying that blaster ans shooting away when they got back to Naboo. :D

I just wish they wouldn't have made her such a wuss in RoTS. Shoot, if my husband tried strangling me, he'd have my foot in his face in no time! I don't care how much I loved him! But then, there may be a good reason I'm not married. :p
  19. moonspinner Jedi Padawan

20. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    Good points there. Padmé's always been portrayed in the movies as a risk-taker. Of course, since she didn't fall in love with Obi-ewan Kenobi, some naysayers tend to forget that.

Poor Padmé. Everyone expected the non-Jedi expectant mother of twins in her third trimester to duel with the Chosen One while Super-Spy Sydney Bristow got to waddle in peace. :p
  21. MotionWright Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I'm glad you guys have revived this thread. I don't have much to say except to thank everyone who contributed to the incredibly rich and educational discussion in this thread. It has greatly improved my understanding of Padmé's character.

You know what I find funny? It's when people start a ship war over the Ani/Padmé versus Obidala debate as if Anakin and Obi-Wan are the only imaginable candidates for Padmé's affections. I've made it my mission to prove them wrong. [face_mischief]

Kudos to you. I totally agree ... but maybe that's why I'm not married either. :D
  22. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Shall we start a new Ship for our dear Padmé?

Typhodala, perhaps? [face_thinking] :eek: :p
  23. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    That's a great idea. I could see Captain Typho and Padme together... furthermore I could see Lando being their child.
  24. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    A forbidden love unheard of... until now. :p
  25. MotionWright Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    [face_laugh]

That's not a bad idea. However, I had the impression there was something between Typho and Dormé, so it would probably be a love triangle ... no, rectangle. ;) See how easy it is to forget about Anakin?
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.