Characters Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady - NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC Is Padmé a Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by leia_naberrie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    I would pay good money to see Padmé/Ahsoka interacting on screen especially if their interaction has nothing to do with Anakin. There was a horrible article on Yahoo!Movies about Ahsoka is a better romantic interest for Anakin than Padmé because she?s boring. Now, I have a lot of strong opinions about that ? (sexualizing a 14-year-old girl and pairing her up with her pseudo-father amongst others) ? but the one that is most directly related to the Padmé discussion is how the article infers that only women who fit the boys? fantasy of a kick-ass, smart-mouthed tomboy stereotype are the ones that count. One of the things I?ve always liked and admired about Padmé was that she was a cool character without fitting into that stereotype. She can and does fight ? but in battle, she?s more of a general/strategist than a warrior and I personally believe that her greatest strengths are her brains and her diplomatic skills. In many ways, she?s Palpatine?s opposite number in everything non-Force and non-combat the way Anakin is Palpatine?s opposite number in the Force.

Anyway, enough about what I think. This is the article: Vader love triangle? New chemistry in 'Clone Wars' . Read it and discuss. And please be mindful of the boards? spoiler policy and black out any specifics about the new movie.
  2. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't read the article yet, but Ashley did mention in the podcast (without any prompting) that there was absolutely no romantic feelings between Ashoka and Anakin, that it is more of a brother/sister relationship.
  3. Lisbev Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ahsoka a better match for Anakin? BITE ME!!!! :mad:

PADME was one of the BEST characters in all three of the prequels. What I admire about Padme is that she is smart, diplomatic, dignified and strives to be lady like despite the adversity surrounding her. She personifies a strong, RESPECTABLE female. She's a far better role model for young girls than that bratty, mouthy, kriffing MarySue kick-butt padawan they've created as an afterthought just as an attempt to revive the Star Wars franchise.

YEESH!!! I'm gonna be soo peeved if the Clone Wars series tries to pull an unrequited love thingy between Anakin & AhSUEka. Not only will this tarnish Anakin & Padme's love, it will make Anakin a dirty old perve. YUCK how gross is that?
  4. Katana_Geldar Force Ghost

star 8
    From the film you can clearly see that the relationship between Anakin and Ahsoka is entirely different from the one he has with Padme. And Ahsoka is cool, I'd love to do some fics about her and look forward to seeing more of her in the series, I hardly think she's a Mary Sue.

We talked about Padme/Ahsoka in the CW board, saying that Padme may tell Ahsoka (and vice versa) all the embarrasing things about Anakin as often happens between wifes/girlfriends and the sisters of the husband/boyfriend.

Oh, and it is okay if I post here, isn't it?
  5. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Padmé has a feature role in next week's episode of Clone Wars, so keep an eye out for it.
  6. BloodRaven77 Jedi Knight

star 2
    OMG Ahsoka and Anakin as a couple!? O_x wow and people say my tastes for odd pairs is off this one definitely takes hte cake. I'm sorry but eww? She's what did Lucas say? 11?? he's 20!? >__< All I can say is wrong, wrong wrong!
  7. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
  8. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    I haven't seen the latest episode, but I'm happy to see a active Padme in the series. As has been discusses ad nauseum, she was useless in ROTS. I look forward to seeing more of her.
  9. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    Need a quick save from the locker!

So, what does everyone think of how Padmé is being portrayed in the Clone Wars series so far?
  10. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    Now that I've watched the movie and a few episodes, I can answer this question with some authority.

I'm not impressed with the running theme of Padmé-as-hostage that the show had adopted. One of my favourite Padmé moments is actually the episode in the 2-D cartoon when she goes on an adventure with Yoda. She doesn't end up doing much but at least, she wasn't cast as the damsel in the distress.

On the other hand, Padmé isn't acting as a damsel even when she is in distress. She was very proactive in her own rescuing in the Malevolence series of episodes; and in the movie, she ended up saving the day after all.

So far, my verdict is: mixed bag.

Any thoughts? And what would we Padmé fans want to see our character do in the next season?
  11. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    I do like the fact that she's usually able to get herself out of trouble on her own, but getting into trouble seems to be a bad habit of hers. :p Hopefully there will be a few episodes in the next season where she doesn't get caught/captured/taken hostage/etc. Padmé is just the type of person to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Personally, I blame Palpatine for everything. He's just manipulating the situation to get Anakin in a darker mood for when he can finally bring him over to the darkside. Getting Padmé into trouble is sort of a sadistic Sith training tool of Palpatine's.
  12. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    You may have something there. Padmé the Danger Magnet - Many Galactic Senators live boring lives. Not Padmé Amidala. Be it her penchant for dangerous assignations or even more dangerous men, she?s always living life on the edge. Coincidence? Or is the prim Senator from Naboo a secret thrill-seeker. [face_mischief]

That makes a lot of sense. Does that actually happen on the show - do we see Palpatine scheming about this?
  13. Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it was very strongly implied in the episode where Padme gets captured by Grievous on the Malevolence
  14. Knight-Ander Jedi Master

star 4
    There really wasn't any hint to Palpatine's scheming during the series, although I'd like to think that he was a little annoyed with what happened during the season ending episode. And not to take things too off topic, but I'd really like to see an episode of a day-in-the-life of Palpatine manipulating things to go as he has "foreseen." The Obi-Wan or Padmé or someone will foil his plans at the end and we'll get to see him mopping in his office, saying something like, "Curses! Foiled again!" :p
  15. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    besides Wookiepedia, is there a source somewhere that summarizes details of Padme's life between Ep 1 & 2 and 2 & 3?

16. celera Jedi Knight

star 2
    Getting into trouble seems to run in the family. Just look at Luke and Leia.
  17. Reihla_RS77_leia-n Force Ghost

star 1
    I really don't know but please if you find one, can you post a link here? :D
  18. Lady_Skywalker87 Force Ghost

star 4
    How come I've never come across this thread before?:oops:

The only thing I'm not happy about Padmè in the CWS is how much emphasis the writers are putting on how she feels about Anakin in order to show that she does love her hubby...that makes it seem to me like she's just as bad as Anakin in regards to hidding her feelings .
    for example in Hostage Crisis when she knelt down beside him & pleaded him to wake up...I bet it wasn't hard for Bail to put 2&2(or any senator who was whatching her suspect suspect something) together after that. there are mamy moments in the season where she's quite "open" about her feelings.I'd expected something like this to be in the Siries but not as early as season 1; I'd expected it to be more of a gradual proses. In AOTC she went through a gradual proses before admiting her feelings to Anakin. I always thought she would try to be strong as well as an example for Anakin so I wanted to see more of a gradual in regards to her controlling her emotions in difficult situations...other that Padmè still rocks![face_love] :D

She still does a far better job than Ani though!:p
  19. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    Good point. The way the Clone Wars shows it, their marriage is a very open secret. I've never felt very comfortable with that either --- but maybe the idea of a Jedi and a Senator is just so radical that no one in the GFFA can pick up the clues. Or maybe others will just assume that they are having an affair, not actually married.
  20. Padlei Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought this thread was dead... :eek:

They're both not discreet indeed... But even though I like joking about it, I find it sweet. Even Padmé can't hide her feelings.

I agree that seeing Padmé getting captured every time we see her is a little bit tiresome but I like the fact she's no damsel in distress. She's always the one getting into trouble herself and most of the time she acts and tries to get out of there herself.

I guess they thought it was the only way to show Anakin and Padmé together without breaking from the action. *shrugs*
  21. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    How could you? Sometimes it sleeps but Padmé will never die. She lives on in our hearts? ;)

But even though I like joking about it, I find it sweet.

I have that reaction, too. Also, I rationalize that since there?s a war going on and everything, and the Jedi are already taking on the unconventional role of soldiers in the Army, the Council is more willing to over-look Anakin?s attachment than it would have in normal conditions. Also, since George said that Jedi don?t have to be celibate, perhaps the Senate won?t be too shocked that Amidala has a Jedi lover. A husband now, is something entirely different but there?s no way of knowing that.

I agree that seeing Padmé getting captured every time we see her is a little bit tiresome but I like the fact she's no damsel in distress. She's always the one getting into trouble herself and most of the time she acts and tries to get out of there herself.

That definitely improves the situation. :) And more A/P is always a good thing, regardless of the causes. :p
  22. Danaan Jedi Master

star 4
    Or maybe it's just a result of how the director treats the format of the show - maybe he don't trust that the audience will be able to grasp subtle signals in such a short timespan in a show primarily focused on action, and so he makes everything VERY explicit, so he can be sure that the audience won't miss that they are lovers.

Which would explain why the surrounding cast don't seem to see the not-so-subtle hints: they are aimed at the audience, not the other characters.

But this is of course a less than generous interpretation. [face_devil]
  23. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    I am planning a diary/journal fanfic (not the Dear Diary challenge) of sorts that tells Padme's life with her own words and deals with events from Ep 1-3 (until she leaves to find Anakin) and the Clone Wars series and I need some help filling in the blanks. I have Ep1 and 2 on DVD and the Queen Amidala Journal to help fill in SOME blanks, but not all...

Is there a really good source that can help me, especially with anything between Ep1 and 2 and to fill in the Clone Wars series parts?

Its basically a journal that Luke and Leia were given by their Aunt Sola (who had the box it was in) in a short fic of mine called "Destination: Naboo". They decide to read it one day. So, I need some help with the Clone Wars parts. I know some of the stuff, but not all. And I don't watch the series on CN so I have no clue what's been going on.

IF anyone can help me......much appreciated!
  24. LadyNomad Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think that the Jedi Council ignored Anakin's relationship with Padme because they don't want to lose him. He is the Chosen one and the strongest Jedi (in terms of sheer potential) they have. Of course, they cannot admit out loud because attachment is wrong and they are afraid of the other Jedi following suit.
  25. Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, the Council was using Anakin, which is why he had to destroy them and slaughter their younglings.

no, wait...
  26. Jedi_Liz Chosen One

star 6
    Isn't there anyone who writes Padme anymore? This poor thread....
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.