Characters Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady - NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC Is Padmé a Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by leia_naberrie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Also, a pregnant woman who is told that there is even a metaphorical possibility that she'll die in childbirth, will ask immediately about the baby. Pregnancy involves a whole new level of fear, at least that was my experience (and unlike Padme, I didn't have to worry about my husband being killed in a war).

In a later conversation, the one where she tells Anakin that he's been moody lately and he says something about finding a way to save her from his nightmares, she says dismissively, "So that's what's been bothering you." I really did not think she took him seriously beyond that brief second after he mentioned it. Maybe the PP is right and she decided she couldn't help him, so she decided to distract him. But as far as her getting him to ask Obi-Wan for help, I understood her to mean, "Maybe Obi-Wan can help us hide on Naboo long enough to have the baby and then we can both keep our jobs." Not that she thought Anakin should go to Obi-Wan because he had a prophetic dream.
  2. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    YIKES! That's going to be a lot of work... [face_worried] I'll see what I can do but I make no promises.
  3. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well, you've got to remember that in reading the novel you're pretty much exposed to Stover's interpretation which, in a lot of instances I consider complete nonsense...this is one of them. Why in the world would Padmè believe it's just a metaphor after what happened with Shmi??? It makes no sense! I stick to my movie interpretation.:D

Actually, she asks him "Is that what's bothering you?" and reason for that to me is that she can?t pinpoint what?s wrong with her husband? it is easy to assume that all she has is bits pieces at this point and tries once more to get him to open up to her. As far as OW goes as everything in SW(any movie or TV show) is matter of viewer?s interpretation which is why I find it quite amusing how people rip their heads off over them.[face_devil]

Fair enough.:) Thanks again!
  4. ida_dida Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok, i know this is -a bit- out of topic BUT i had to ask it!

In which month of her pregnancy was Padme when she went on Mustafar?I am asking this because after that scene she gave birth.I assume that the birth was earlier than it was supposed to coz if she was 9 months pregnant, she would'nt be running like that to go and hug Anakin...i remember my aunt when she 9 months and she could barely move,not run...
  5. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think twins are often born early anyway. I'm guessing she was about 7-8 months along? That's the earliest I think they could be born and not need additional medical care. Obviously they were fine, but she wasn't.

I never had twins, but I could run at the end of both of my pregnancies, at least as far as Padme ran to Anakin. I didn't necessarily want to, but I could. [face_laugh] I had to run after my first son while very pregnant with my second son, I know. :p Depends on how much weight you gain too, Padme looks like she would have gained exactly as much as she should, no more.
  6. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well, the ROTS Novel said that Anakin was gone 5 months right? and according to some his fall was during the course of a week so its kinda confusing for me but I agree with anakin_girl7 to 8 mon. As far as running goes I know women who wouldn't be still during their pregnancy & a running 9 mon. momma is not unusual
    for me.[face_laugh]
  7. darksideyesplease Force Ghost

star 4

But when they are having a serious discussion and Anakin gets angry and tells her to make a request in the Senate, she immediately deflects and doesn't want to talk anymore.

Just thought I'd point that out. I sort of group that conversation in with the other one.

Also she doesn't bother asking any real questions even though by her facial expression she wants to when he tells her about the assassination attempt on the Chancellor.

Even in their last scene together she is willing to put the idea of him committing mass murder for the second time aside and run away with him.

I think that was my main point. Just how she is a completely different person when she is around him... ah... love... a dreadful bond.
  8. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    ^ Fair enough. But the same applies to Anakin & like I said Padmè could only do so much...
  9. darksideyesplease Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, well I'm not suggesting that Anakin isn't mostly to blame here. He certainly is.

Padme didn't kill the sand people or the younglings. She didn't turn to the dark side.

PLOT BUNNY!

Padme turns in Anakin for killing the sand people and he stands trial or at least some sort of tribunal with the Jedi as murdering people on Tatoonie probably isn't illegal since slavery is allowed and is outside the republic. (could be "A Time to Kill" rip off! YES THEY DESERVED TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!)
  10. ida_dida Jedi Knight

star 1
    [/quote]

PLOT BUNNY!

Padme turns in Anakin for killing the sand people and he stands trial or at least some sort of tribunal with the Jedi as murdering people on Tatoonie probably isn't illegal since slavery is allowed and is outside the republic. (could be "A Time to Kill" rip off! YES THEY DESERVED TO DIE AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!)[/quote]

An A/P/V plot bunny from you??Great news![face_dancing]
    I missed your A/P stories...I [face_praying] you write sth about them again
  11. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I concur![face_hypnotized]
  12. darksideyesplease Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh]

I appreciate that. I don't think I'll be touching that story although it would be interesting if it was some sort of court marshal thing.

I have so much writer's block right now. Still trying to think of another entertainment piece to do for the Beyond awards. I just have no ideas right now and my current fic is at a stalemate because we don't know what to do so we are doing nothing. ;)

Maybe I'll throw a one shot out there someday though. But I can't see doing another epic A/P.
  13. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Indeed it would...and Padmè as an accessory to murder! [face_mischief] a particular Gal would love that![face_whistling][face_laugh] I saw a similar idea in the Role Play forum where he was tried as VADER for war crimes but never in Fanfic.

I'll take it!:D
  14. ida_dida Jedi Knight

star 1
    :_|:_|:_|:_|:_|:_|:_|
    Damn...i wish i was born earlier...:p
  15. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    Never say never. [face_mischief]

Jedi_Galadriel, ami-padme and a couple of other old-timers wrote a collaborative fanfic called The Penitent where a reincarnated Vader was made to stand trial for all the atrocities he committed as a Sith Lord. You can find it in Galadriel's site here or in the Classic Fanfic boards here.
  16. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    That's the one in which Leia's the judge. If you want a Padme survives, Anakin/Vader is tried, Leia's a lawyer, ask me how. One of the best things about writing my ultimate epic was writing Luke having a friendship/kinship with his mother and Leia learning to have something like that with her father.
  17. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Thanks so much for the link! Now I remember of a trail set in the after life in Helen_Taft's Purgatory but it wasn't the main focus of the story, intended to be for exposure & humiliation than anything else.

A family-angle trial...cool idea!:) But I think Leia would be better as a witness though...Padmè could be the lawyer![face_laugh]
  18. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I agree with Leia being a good witness candidate. I put everyone else on the stand, except Mara.

The thing I like best about writing Padme is her blind spots. Both in terms of Anakin and in terms of Palpatine. She is a very intelligent person, but is not omniscient.
  19. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I agree about Mara not being on the stand. I never understood what's all the hype about her but then, I'm not really into EU.

I believe that's a common misconception based on the fact that she's not properly treated as a character in general even Lucas himself... JMO.
  20. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Well, see, I believe that Palpatine said it right in calling her "young and naive." She evolves past that as the story continues, but her political idealism is so often a hindrance to her. We see her believe that a diplomatic solution IS possible on Geonosis. She is loathe to believe that Palpatine has gotten out of control because of her experiences with him as her ambassador. She is not predisposed to think ill of people.
  21. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Let me start by saying that on Geonosis she thought she "might be able to find a diplomatic solution to this mess.? science she?s not ?interested in getting into a war here.? while she?s idealistic she?s not a fool, she knows negotiations may fail but is not going to pass up the opportunity to try and solve the conflict peacefully; Padmé is a politician and was leading the opposition to the creation of the Republic Army because she view it as( and rightly so) as an open declaration of war. I don?t believe her idealism is not much of hindrance to as much as the fervent aspect of her being, her impulsiveness and her high self-worth which Palpatine takes advantage of but its also what makes extremely alert of her specially after TPM. Palpatine didn?t have solid means of manipulation with Padmé until he found her biggest weak spot & love-sick Anakin in her way.

I believe that this has to do with her needing to believe in the man she put into power and her husband?s mentor than anything else.

What I like about writing Padmé(yes,I'll be posting soon!:D ) is finding out how complex she actually is, how much alike she & Anakin are and just how much potential she has which why I'm often puzzled by how(from what I've gathered on the net)she's hardly used in the EU & so angry on how she's misused she is in TCWS.[face_frustrated]

BTW, I found this thread in the Live Action, Clone Wars & Classics forum if you guys need to vent your frustration with the handling of our favorite Lady in TCWS: Anyone else annoyed by Padme's character? The thread is intended for constructive criticism not bashing. Personally, I found it strangely comforting to know I'm not alone in this matter.

Let's keep the love for Padmé Amidala Naberrie Skywalker STRONG & ALIVE![face_love] @};- [face_love] @};- [face_love]
  22. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    *Mutters something about Padme in ROTS being neither strong nor alive.* :p I'll have to rewatch Clone Wars to comment intelligently.

And I agree with your comment about her need to believe. It's the same kind of thing as Anakin.
  23. Darth_Tim Jedi Master

star 4
    She started out as potentially the best character in the PT in TPM. Precocious, intelligent, something of a military genius, gifted leader (all at the ripe old age of 14...)

By ROTS she had been in my mind pretty much relegated to Anakin's Obligatory Love Interest and incubation vessel for Luke and Leia.

I remember I used to enjoy writing her, though. My portrayal (a lot of this was back in the day before AOTC came out) was mostly an extraction of her character from Menace and I often tried to focus on her as a soldier and politician in parallel with her developing relationship with Anakin.
  24. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, you're not alone. You will find that people who like/appreciate her character (as a character, mind, not a person) are few and far between. Most fans tend to have problems with her varying from mildly dissappointed to outright dislike. It always amuses me when I see "I don't like Padme" as an unpopular opinion because, it's not. :p It's a very popular opinion.

I'll drink to that.
  25. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    TIM!!! [:D] [:D] Long time no see old friend. :)

I agree with you about ROTS. If GL had left in the scenes with the Delegation of 2000 and the seeds of the Rebellion, it would have been different, but as it was...

TPM Padme would have opened a can of whoop-*** on someone on Mustafar--Anakin for turning to the Dark Side, Obi-Wan for stowing away on her ship, or both.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.