main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady - NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC Is Padmé a Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by leia_naberrie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Yeah, still alive, and on rare occassions, even kicking.

Haven't seen any of the deleted stuff. I watched ROTS exactly once, when I saw it in the theater.

2. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh, the irony![face_laugh]:p

No, because Anakin believes in Palpatine as much he believes in Anakin.

Like I said, She has not been treated fairly since TPM. I actually didn't mind the new side of her but when I saw how much she was butchered in the editing room I was really frustrated.

...[face_worried]
    Please, don't think I HATE her...I'm completely frustrated with TCWS in regards to her.

*Raises her glass of Ginger-Ale* Cheers!:D

Agreed! in fact, all that was PANS should have been left in inducing the scenes that did not made it to the PT DVDs and one only hears or reads about...Hopefuly the Blue-Ray release will surprise us.:cool: [face_praying]

3. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    No, I don't mean that at all. The opposite, as a matter of fact. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Discussion on this topic seems to have run its course... does anyone have ideas for another topic or should we try a new challenge?

4. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
  5. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
  6. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Umm, I thought we could Boleynize her since I didn't like Nat's Anne but I don't know how difficult might be for others.

A couple Q's:

What're some good Padmé characterization EU books?

What was Padmé's relationship with Winama like?

I always got the feeling that she might of been closer to her dad's side and I'm curios since there's not much on Winama Naberrie on the wiki.

Hope everyone had wonderful Holiday & New Year's!!!!:)

7. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Karen Miller did a fantastic job with Padme in her series of Clone Wars books: Wild Space, Siege and Stealth. Showed her political brilliance (to the point that Bail suggested that she would make an excellent Supreme Chancellor one day), her relationship with her fellow Senators and with the Jedi, including her respect for Obi-Wan; and her very deep love for Anakin. Miller's Palpatine is creepy and bone-chilling, and shows how much Palpatine used Padme to his own advantage.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  8. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Ohhhhhh, how cool!!! I've always thought so too! Palpatine recognize the potential danger and used Anakin, among other things, to keep her in his sights ... I believe that A/V's intent was to let his wife rule while he did the enforcement behind her back if someone didn't comply what she'd decree... [face_devil]

Anyway, thanks anakin_girl!:) They sound a great read, I'll have to look for them.

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I like that insight and agree with it. Also, I love how this is explored in By the Grace of Lady Vader and Ascension of the Queen.

10. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    I have stumbled across those before but never actually read them... perhaps now is a good as any, thanks.:)

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Those authors understood Padme better than Lucas, IMHO. :p But I always want to see Padme as less of a gamepiece.

12. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    At this point, I believe anyone understands Padmé better than Lucas or Lucasfilm for that matter. Have you seen TCWS lately?[face_sick] ...quite sad really.

Even I, with my humble posting believe did a much better jod.LOL.

HERE

Tell me what you think?

13. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Two of the earliest fan fics that I read, over 10 years ago. Outstanding pieces, both of them, and I think they're both in the archives? By the Grace of Lady Vader is by far the best ESB AU I've ever seen.

I think you all are right that Vaderkin intended for his wife to rule (as Empress?) while he played the Bad Cop to her Good Cop. His comments on Mustafar seem to indicate this, comments which of course horrified her.

I'm writing Chancellor Padme right now and thoroughly enjoying it; I was actually inspired by Bail's comment in Clone Wars Gambit: Siege. No Vader and no Empire though.

I haven't seen the most recent Clone Wars episodes; the last one I saw was Pursuit of Peace and I thought Padme was well-portrayed in it.

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Both are on the Archives. I've only tried a post-ROTS Padme/Vader combination once and it was really fun to explore the psychology of what she was doing. BTGOLV put it down to insanity, but I took a different tactic. Now I want to go back and finish that story.

15. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Cool! Let me know when you post it. I'd love to read it!:)

While the pacing wasn't terrible, the episode itself made little to no sense, making Padmé look more foolish than ever & certain elements of her character that should have been there from the beginning were suddenly added as to "redeem" the inconsistencies committed...too little, too late IMHO. I'm not fond her characterization among others in TCW in general; fanfic writers can do better.:p

You should! Is it posted?

I've my "what if" in the works, though not insane, definitely not the same woman she used to be. I want to finish all my loose fics first, my PC has crashed quite a few times & have had to start working projects from scratch. IT SUCKS!

16. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Mine is posted, link is in my signature and my bio. :) It is a sequel to my AU to ROTS, but I don't think you'll be lost if you don't read that one first.

17. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
  18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    http://boards.theforce.net/T/b1/18081499/?175--The Ties That Bind. Warning: Was written pre-ROTS.

19. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Hi, guys. I generally lurk more than I post here, but the topic's really interesting. Since when did Padme get on the list of potential Sues or did she ever? Anyhow, I like her character and don't think that she's a Sue.

That sounds like interesting fanfic material. Do you know of any good fanfics where this does happen? If so, I'd love links! Thanks in advance.

20. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    It's clearly not the opinion that anyone here holds, but I've heard it bandied around in the interwebz and wanted a sounding. Glad to know that it's not a popular opinion.

You should check out Fernwithy/Alderaan/Ami-Padme's Lady Vader series on the TFNET Fanfic Archives. If you need help getting the link, I'm sure someone will post it up.

21. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Bump so this doesn't get autolocked in a few days.

22. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Thanks! Too bad discussion here seems to have died down but there are some great takes in the archives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.