main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady - NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC Is Padmé a Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by leia_naberrie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Bant

Jedi_Bant Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2004
    do you think *Padme* would step into an arranged marriage? she's too forward thinking and independent for that, imho!

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Let me say this about chemistry. I told my husband that we would be married one day and I told him this on our first date. The poor man turned pale and told me he wasn't getting married for at least 5-6 years. But, less than a year later we were married.

I think that Padme feels that connection with Anakin that tells her, no matter the difficulties, he is the one for her.

3. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    You're a very forward woman, VaderLVR, but I'm sure you've heard that before. ;)

Okay, my opinion on a Padmé/Bail relationship:

The thing that kills that idea starts with the casting of Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa. He has got to be, what, at least 20 years older than Natalie, right? So I assume that the age difference between their respected characters is similar. Sure, I'm as in favor of older-man/younger-woman relationships as the next guy, but due to their devotion to politics, I don't think it would work. If someone younger was casted in the role (Josh Hartnett, for instance), I could better see a romantic-relationship between Bail and Padmé.

That said, Bail Organa is married and devoted to his wife (as referenced in issue #61 of Star Wars: Republic). That issue also states that, after his wife's latest miscarriage, the healers had advised them not to try having children anymore. My theory would be that, as a good and trusting friend, Padmé would leave Leia with the Organas, knowing that they would love her as well as if she was their own, dissolving the sorrow brought on by knowing they can't have any children of their own. Padmé may recognize the true love, trust and devotion Bail and his wife have for each other, wanting her daughter to grow-up in a household that can provide her with that love, something... well, something she and Anakin would not be able to provide, I'm guessing. [face_plain]

4. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    You're a very forward woman, VaderLVR, but I'm sure you've heard that before.

LOL!

Bail's marital status certainly puts him out of the running as a possible beau for Padme... his age doesn't really pose a problem. Padme is so mature that she'd get along with an older man. Anakin makes her young and playful and that's part of his charm...

5. nadenaberrie

nadenaberrie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    I don't think the age difference is a big issue. As leia_naberrie said, Padme is very mature for her age. (and look at our world- I mean, come on, Celine Dion?) And considering the twist of fate that I'm suggesting (Padme not meeting Anakin), who says Bail's wife has to be part of the picture? Had he and Padme been planning an arranged marriage, who's to say he would have met his wife in the first place?

I think too much. [face_blush] :)

6. Jedi_Bant

Apr 13, 2004
    Honestly, I prefer Padme/Bail pairings to Padme/Obi-Wan anyday. There's something almost incestous about Obidala. ::laughs:: And, of course, if fate is re-written so that Padme doesn't end up with Anakin, what's stopping her from ending up with Bail? I think this would make a good plot bunny.

7. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Hey, l_n, I need a slight clarification on the Holloween Challenge. You said it should contain Ryoo or Pooja. Can it contain both?

I'm starting to think that using only one of them would be more of a challenge (my current story idea has both of them in it), but I'll leave it up to you. :)

8. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Obi-Wan is so utterly devoted to the knighthood and its ideals, he'd never think of Padmé in that way. Even if Padmé were so inclined (and there's no evidence in the movies that she is), he'd ignore her.

If it weren't for Anakin, Padmé probably would have settled down on Naboo with a "nice guy" and had a mess of kids.

--MissPadme

9. nadenaberrie

Sep 12, 2004
    Ah yes, a "nice guy"... like Darred, perhaps? I find his character fascinating; he's hardly ever mentioned, though we know quite a bit about the rest of the Naberrie family. I think I'll tie him into my challenge story for this month, just to make things interesting. ;) (psst... anyone who knows who Darred is gets a gold star for expanded universe knowledge)

10. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Bant: There's something almost incestous about Obidala. ::laughs::
    I know what you mean. [face_laugh] And it's sort of appealing in a darkish kind of way. :p

Ander: Well it's called a challenge after all...[face_mischief]
    [face_laugh] Don't worry it can contain both!

MissPadme:
    Obi-Wan is so utterly devoted to the knighthood and its ideals, he'd never think of Padmé in that way. Even if Padmé were so inclined (and there's no evidence in the movies that she is), he'd ignore her.
    That would be pretty hard for any red-blooded male to do imho! :eek: :eek:

Oh I guess it would be unfair for me to tell y'all who Darred is. :D I don't see Padme settling down like her sister though. She says she wants to a lot in AotC. But until Anakin came along, she was all talk. I have a feeling that she would have kept on saying that for a long time if she had not met Anakin.

11. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Darred is Padmé's brother-in-law (can't remember her sister's name at the moment). :)

12. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    A gold star to Ander! :D

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Sola's the sister

14. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    A silver star to Ishtar!

15. nadenaberrie

Sep 12, 2004
    YAY for you guys! *applause* Sorry, I'm off on a tangent again... lol... but hey, people should know Darred's name if they're supposed to write a story about his daughters. :)

16. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    See, the thing w/ Padme is, like lots of you pointed out, things could change in TPM, and I think they might totally change her charector. Padme seems devoted to Naboo because of all the stuff she had to go through in the invasion.

If there was no invasion, I could see her going through her queen term, then taking her parents' advice and settle down. And, if there was no Anakin, and Obi-wan was knighted and somehow around, Obidala could seem possible. Same w/ Bail... if charector's the only way to keep them apart, a plot change could change that.

Maybe I'll attempt the challenge this weekend...

17. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Personally, in regards to Obidala I do love to read stories about this relationship whether its AU or etc. I do think its possible that in certain situations they could be a couple. No it may not be a passionate affair such as one might read in a romance novel, but not all romantic relationships are like that. There are relationships that are two people who have things in common are friends etc.

Also I really think that in the time frame somewhere between aotc and ANH that they would become friends share concerns over Anakin and after Anakin's turn they could develope that friendship into a romantic kind. Sometimes when two people are in a situation together its possible for feelings to develope. Obi-wan has always been one that I feel that underneath it all he has a heart of gold and would care deeply for a woman. And I think its possible that Padme who is very similar to Obi-wan in the sense that she cares deeply for her people as Obi-wan cares for the jedi. They both have a sense of duty and responsiblity that they both grew up with in ways. (hopefully some of this makes some sense) There have been a few stories here on the boards I think could show how its possible, The Cell and HOpe Sanctuary just being two of the many stories. They were just ones I've read in recent weeks so they were on top of my head and in no way do I mean any offense to those stories I have not mention.

I do like the Padme and Bail aspect. Its possible depending on circumstances. Even with the current events they way they are in the movies. If you go by the movie circumstances, I would say a political type of relationship that would develope during EpIII or the time between that and ANH. It would be a way to unite two of what could be considered two powerful worlds. Now if you consider AU and changed events in either tpm or atoc it would be very interesting to see how things could play out. But yes this is a possible and realistic pairing.

If there could be a pairing where the OC had some of Anakin's passion, Obi-wan's charm, sense of duty, caring, and Bail's title, postion etc, that I think would be the perfect guy for Padme because all three of these guys have a little of what Padme needs I feel.

Okay I hope that makes some sense and I could right an entire paper on the subject but I really don't have time and these are only a small summary of my thoughts. NO offense is intended. :)

18. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    nadenaberrie:
    people should know Darred's name if they're supposed to write a story about his daughters.

good point. ;)

Maybe I'll attempt the challenge this weekend...

you do that, bobilll. :D

CrystalKenobi:

Personally, in regards to Obidala I do love to read stories about this relationship whether its AU or etc. I do think its possible that in certain situations they could be a couple. No it may not be a passionate affair such as one might read in a romance novel, but not all romantic relationships are like that. There are relationships that are two people who have things in common are friends etc.

Definitely, if the events of the saga are altered accordingly, in Anakin's words, "anything is possible". ;) I've only read one Obidala that was really convincing and that was obaona's The Cell. :) She put the two in a situation where it was completely realistic for them to fall in love.

19. Jedi_Bant

Apr 13, 2004
    *Definitely, if the events of the saga are altered accordingly, in Anakin's words, "anything is possible". *

Well, shouldn't the characters still be in character? Even if the events of TPM are changedd so that padme never meets Ani, does that mean obi's *personality* as a devoted Jedi knight will also change? I've alwats felt that it is *because* the two are so alike in character that they can never be more than good friends. They'd rub each other raw.

20. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Hi! I hope nobody minds if I crash in here for a moment.

I can remember "Obidala" rumors floating around the net back in 1997 before Amidala even had a name, and I believe (though I could be wrong) that ol George actually intended to go that route up until the last minute.

As Obi-Wan's character stands now, there's very few "realistic" circumstances that I could actually see them getting together under, but I would have found it quite believable for a teenaged Padme in TPM to be a little mooney over a young, cute Jedi.

21. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    If I remember correctly, I read that, very early in the writing of TPM, Padmé was suppose to develop a crush on Obi-Wan (tagging after him when he goes into Mos Espa) when the story featured just him as the Jedi ambassador, before Qui-Gon was added to the story. Without Qui-Gon, I would think Anakin might have been casted a little bit older for that movie, maybe 12 instead of 9 years old.

22. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    If I were on that ship, I would definitly be dreaming about Obi-Wan. And I can bet all the handmaidens were too ;)

~aeryn

23. TheNabooSenator

TheNabooSenator Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2004
    would they really? I remember Obi-Wan in TPM as being very aloof, snobbish and rather condescending to everyone from Anakin to the handmaidens - "don't reply any of the messages". If I were a handmaiden, I would have liked his looks at first but after listening to him talk, I would probably have been turned off big time.
    I don't think George ever intended for a love triangle to happenin TPM. What I heard although I may be wrong, was that part of the reason why Qui-Gon's character was introduced was to eliminate the 'speculation' of Obidala in the prequels. Not that that helped of course! [face_laugh] And frankly, Amidala was too worried about her planet and too focused on getting help for me to imagine her mooning over anyone in those circumstances. And what I know for a fact was that George cut down Anakin's age from 12 to 9 to emphasize further the tragedy of him losing his mother at such a young age.

24. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Aeryn I've always said that the single most unbelievable momemt in TPM is that a fourteen year old girl would leave her friends and the hottie behind in order to follow the old dude and the gungan because she was curious about a desert. I predict....sand. :p

25. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    don't reply any of the messages".

Okay, what would some else have said? It was obvious that message was sent so the TF could find their location, and send Darth Maul after the Queen. Obi-Wan would have been a bad Padawan if he told them, "Oh yeah, you should respond." That's careless and stupid. It's not being condescending.

There was even a conversation afterwards between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon:

OBI-WAN : ...the Queen is upset...but absolutly no reply was sent.
    QUI-GON : It sounds like bait to establish a connection trace.
    OBI-WAN : What if it is true and the people are dying?
    QUI-GON : Either way, we're running out of time.

Obi-Wan has a dry sense of humor. What you think of him being condescending (TPM), it's not.

~aeryn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.