Wars Stories

Discussion in 'Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    Well after waxing poetically and LONG about the showing of the revised ROTJ or "Jedi" in Hollywood, I thought how cool it would be to have a thread where I could just go on and on about the old...

Er, ahem.

Okay, serious biz now.

This thread is for fond memories of Star Wars experience, not just mine, but yours too.

So share your memories here of things connected with the Saga.

Maybe we can even make this a sticky.

2. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    I remember running around with my friend on Friday nights in the summer. We were young and bored and waaaaay single (still in High School, still the BIG V's).

I don't remember what we were SUPPOSED to be out doing that night, or the reason we were out, might have been to see Star Wars for the tenth time, might have been mini golf or to play Space Invaders at the local pinball arcade.

What I DO remember is that we bought the cheap plastic flashlight "lightsabers", one green, one red and were having a ball with them, pretending to fight with them like Obi Wan and Darth Vader.

My bud had a Ford Pinto, a few years old, his brother showed him how to keep it well tuned, it was nimble and quick as a fox on acceleration. For some reason we started driving up behind cars on the open road, turning off the lights, then whizzed past while waving the lightsabers out of the windows and shouting the Star Wars theme, "Da da da da DA DA, da-da-da-DA DAH...".

As I said, young and bored.

Most occupants pointed and laughed or just stared at us. However, one car set chase to us, a Cougar, and we wove around town like complete reckless idiots. Once we got enough of a lead in a residential section that we parked, cut the lights and ducked down as he zoomed past, then got behind him and with a shout of "We have you NOW!" hit the lights and waved the sabers again. As he braked, we hit the brakes and shot off down a side street where we pulled the same trick AGAIN. We were laughing so hard we almost dropped the sabers... almost. Finally he got bored chasing us and took off into the night.

Ironically my friend years later grew up a bit more, got married and ended up working for the Highway Patrol.

Other nights we stood in line to see Star Wars at the local mall and he did his best to embarrass me around girls. I used to be deathly shy most of the time. My humiliation was a hobby of his, he loved to see my face turn red, eyes bug out, armpits sweat, teeth grinding and neck cords standing out. He did Python silly walks, was shout obnoxious things and then point at me, made odd faces all while I tersely whispered to him to "COOL IT, the ladies are LOOKING". Which only made him work it that much harder.

Ironically years later I too grew up a bit more, loosened up a bit, became a bit of a showoff myself and through that met the woman who eventually became my wife. The woman who said she fell in love with me because I could make her laugh.

Irony is fun, especially when you survive it.

I chat with my friend from time to time, he's on the other side of the country, got a family, a house, and responsibilities galore. Last I checked he was still into fast cars, but selling them was his thing instead of racing around the neighborhood.

3. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    *note: All ready posted on SF Board..but, like Sid, worth repeating here. (And EXTENSIVELY edited to make much more sense than trying to get it out during my non-existant lunch break today!) :D

I was at the ROJ Re-releaseshowing that Sid talks (See SFFF Thread) about AND saw (and "worked" the Chinese Theater promos for the original releases...

It WAS a magic moment. And Sid only hit one SOME of the lines that were being said...there was laughter, tears, the promise of the new films to come, the mourning of those that were no longer with us (but we knew that somehow they were still sitting there beside us... watching...) There was the rush I always got when seeing the Falcon fly...(and still do)...and the obligatory meeting and feasting across from the Chinese Theater at Hamburger Hamlet.

What has been interesting is that despite the passage of soooooo many years, those of us that were there for that first time seeing a Star Destroyer pass over head, meeting a stubborn and headstrong Princess, a naive farmboy, a "stuck up, scruffy looking Nerf-herder",his best friend, "The Walking Carpet," a couple of fussy droids, a Dark Lord who's imagined appearance was unlike anything we had ever seen, the most BEAUTIFUL "Hunk of Junk" in the universe...(and that was one ship that I fell head over heels in love with the moment I first laid eyes on her.... the second being The Black Pearl) and stormtroopers (human..nonhuman...didn't know)...

BUT after all that and all those years... those in the SW Family are still just that ...FAMIlY..yes there were friends at the time who moved on...but those that were family are still just that, and we are still just as close, still there for each other though love, laughter, marriages, children, graduations, heartbreak, tragedy, life and ..even death. Those that, no matter what,...this universe created by George Lucas brought together a bonding and creating of "Tribes" that is unique in any other fandom.

Now, like any true family ...new additions have been added, and those are welcomed and loved just as much as those members that have been part of our Tribe from that very first screening in May so long ago.

This series has had such an effect on me...insipired me to have the guts to leave an extremely abusive marriage, and an eventually leave an long-term toxic "friendship." ("Search your feelings.") The films and their messages also inspired me to take the leap into professional acting and then gave me the inspiration to going back to school, and obtain not only my BA, but working on my Master's and continuing to take risks. I use SW references daily in teaching..because "truth is truth." And, most important, I have never forgotten how to play, or the look in a younglings eyes when they see you. Doesn't matter if you are wearing a blaster or holding a saber. The magic is always there. That's the secret of SW, in my opinion, it is much more than costumes, promos, who has the biggest lightsaber, or who has the best costume or, even who is better than who...That's not what it's all about..and those who think it is..just don't get it..and unfortunately never did and never will. It's about family, friends, and believing in what one lone person can do to make the universe a slightly better place. Even WITHOUT the makeup, the spirt of SW comes through (as I discovered last weekend). At times, it's watching a terminally ill child's eye's light up when Vader enter's a room, it's watching not only a small child experience the magic when they hold a lightsaber, but that same magic in the eyes of the parents when they too get to hold it. It's holding on to a group of people you love at the end of the film and crying, for WHATEVER reason your heart takes you at that moment. To quote Yoda, "It's in the rocks, the trees, all around you."

It's trusting in the Force...completely and totally and learning to listen with your heart.

Now, to all of you, from our original family members to our newest ones... May The Force Be With You in the truest sense of the word! T
  4. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Request put in, Sid!
  5. TionneHawk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What a great thread! I have so many stories I could tell about the greatness of spirit I have found in my fellow fans, my Other Family. From Day 1, they have showed me nothing but kindness and openness. I guess when you're a geek you know what it's like to be sneered at and so we have a common bond. But when that bond goes beyond conventions and movies to helping out when a member (maybe someone you've never even met) is in trouble, that's when you know you've got something truly special.

From mourning the passing of a friend, to celebrating births and marriages, to helping me grieve for a life I had to let go. You have all been there for me and I will continue to be there for you. That's what family is about. Sometimes we forget that with our blood relatives (I know mine certainly have).

You are my family in the Force, all of you. Every time I forget that or take it for granted, you turn around and show me something new and precious that I keep with me wherever I go.

Until next we meet. May the Force be with you. :)
  6. GreyJediPathfinder Jedi Knight

star 1
    For me, growing up in Montana, there was never lines to see the OT in the theaters. But I remember seeing ESB in San Jose when we were out there on vacation. It was in a curved screen theater (I'm sure those who live out there know which one it is, I have no idea). The thrill of the chase through the asteroid field. Ducking when the Falcon, engines screaming, flew right at the screen (and my head) and was gone deeper into the field.

I did get to see the Re-releases, all of them on the same day in fact, 9 hours in the theater with a friend.

For me the magic started when I was young, and has continued to this day. I remember many nights, getting off of work, going home to a lonely house (cats are great pets, but they can't talk!), and turning on the Trilogy, usually 'Jedi' as it is my favorite among them all. I remember seeing 'Phantom' (2pm of it's opening day) just hours after I got fired from my job at an animal shelter. And seeing it again and again until it left even the $1 theater (19 times to be exact). Seeing 'Clones' here in Denver after I moved here and got my own place. One day I dressed in my 'Jedi's' just for giggles and went to see the movie. I was getting napkins for my butter popcorn when I felt a little tug the back of my tunic and heard a little voice, "Excuse me." I turned around to see two younglings, about 6 and 8, staring up at me with awe in their eyes. "Can we have our picture taken with you?" the oldest ventured. "Of course." I replied and looked up to see their grinning parents across the lobby, I nodded to them, the younglings crowded close and a picture was taken. "Thank you!" from both of the younglings as they rejoined their parents, nods from both parents in thanks. I will remember that forever, the looks in those younglings eyes was magical.

Star Wars has a magic that is very unique, a lot of it because of the closeness of the 'family' of fans (something other fandoms have never quite been able to duplicate). My RL family (especially my mother) doesn't understand that this is more than a 'fad' for me, that I'm NOT obssessed with Star Wars, that I've found something here that is important to me, and it is the bigger 'family' of friends that I have in the SW universe.

So, May the Force be with you, Always!

GJP aka Master Shan

P.S. Kim, you are the big sister that I never had growing up! *HUGGLES*
  7. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    I went to college a long time ago... in Phoenix Arizona. A crazy hot place that hovered for months with the temperature over the century mark. Yet despite the rising heat of May, the melting pavement, the concrete radiating the heat from below at night, at the Plitt Theater across the parking lot from the school there were lines around the building to see the Empire Strikes Back on its first run. Rumors ran strong everywhere about what the reviewers called ?the biggest shocker in a motion picture since this decade? (Don?t remember the exact quote but it was something like that).

Most people were just stunned that there even WAS a sequel, and that they had been able to get tickets for the opening day. Ticket scalpers were having a field day, it was the hottest event that year, even eclipsing Pink Floyd's The Wall in L.A. The surreal feeling of being in such long lines, the longest line I?d been in for a film ever, some four hours, added to the dizzy feeling of the 90+ degree heat.

Eventually we were ushered into the theater past huge models of star destroyers (must have been six feet long) hanging in the lobby, everyone energized, excited and anxious. As the dehydrated people raced for seats a calm voice in a Mr. Rogers imitation came over the speakers. ?Can you all just stand up and move to the center to fill up the seats in between? thank you, I knew you could?.

The screen was a massive curved thing, far bigger than any I'd seen at that time. As the lights dimmed the crowd hushed then screamed with joy when the words followed by infamous crawl started across the screen. People gaped at the sheer size and magnificence of Vader?s Super Star destroyer and of the frenzy of the opening battle.

The movie was one long amazing roller coaster ride.

Then the shocker happened, the one NO ONE expected or suspected. And then too soon the film ended.
    People roared, ?THEY CAN?T END IT THERE!!! THREE YEARS TO FIND OUT? AHHHHHHHH!? As that show?s audience shuffled and stumbled out the exits, out of the air conditioning and into the oppressive heat, blinking, cursing, shell shocked, people in line looked anxiously at us, worried at the expressions of dismay and wonder. ?Was it good?? Most just looked at them and with a dry throat croaked, ?Yeah, yeah, but you won?t believe?? then they choked on the words not knowing how to explain it all and just walked on. The few that tried to spill the beans were shushed up and shouted down by friends and strangers alike.

The next day I was in class and before class started the instructor looked out the window and mused, ?Wow, look at that line already forming for the noon show, and it?s just 8 O?clock. I don?t know how you get tickets for that now... anyone here managed to see it yet?? I was the sole person to raise his hand, I?d got lucky, heard it coming out and nailed tickets within the first hour they went on sale. His eyebrows arched up a bit and he said, ?Well, stand up and tell us what you thought of it, if you can without telling us telling us too much. Was it good?? The entire class turned and looked at me in anticipation, waiting.

I stood up and gazed out the window at the theater and the line snaking around the back and said somewhat numbly, ?Yeah, it?s good, really really really good, best movie I?ve ever seen?and shocking? you just? well, I can?t say anything else...but it was the most amazing thing I?ve ever seen in a theater.? I could feel the interest in the class as I sat down, many there were whispering to friends about sneaking out that moment and trying to get tickets, about who would take turns to stand in line, planning their entire weekend around trying to see the film.

It was then that I really became aware of the growing all encompassing phenomena of Star Wars, how it had made it?s way into our popular culture, how not just hard core Sci Fi fans wanted to see it, but how the everyday person knew the names Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Darth Vader. Okay, maybe they were a bit on the geek side, this was a tech school and i
  8. LadyCieone Jedi Knight

Oh, wow. So many memories, so little time.

My first memory of Star Wars: I was at the Van Nuys drive in theater with a bunch of my friends, to see the last Planet of the Apes film. I don't remember much about that film, but I DO remember seeing the "coming attractions" (what they now call trailers) and one of the films being promoted was a little sci-fi flick called "Star Wars." I remember thinking "Wow, that looks like it will be great!"

Little did I know that it would change my life.

I didn't get to see Star Wars right away, because it came out in May and I graduated high school in June. You can imagine how busy I was with finals and planning and all. I remember hearing a lot of buzz about the film, and was looking forward to it. I was very fortunate that the first time I saw it was at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. It made the experience an EXPERIENCE. The first time I saw the Star Destroyer on the screen and it just kept GOING ... I was hooked.

And then Obi-Wan talked about the Force. And suddenly, everything gelled for me. For years, I had held my own personal beliefs, rarely spoken. I had discovered that my beliefs were inconsistent with any known organized religion, and yet, combined factors of many of them. And then I saw this film and there were my beliefs, in a nutshell. Something just resonated.

I started going to conventions. There I met people who shared my beliefs and my passions, and many who would become my family. I remember a saying I once saw that meant a great deal to me and applied to the people I met because of Star Wars: "Rarely do members of the same family grow up in the same house."

Many of those people I met so many years ago are STILL a part of my life, and I am closer to them than I am to people I'm actually related to.

I knew that if I ever got married, it would have to be to someone who shared or at least understood my passions. A fellow fan geek. Lucky for me, I met Sid. [face_batting]

I used to joke around and say, in a Southern-preacher-hellfire-and-damnation-voice: "Star Wars changed my life!" Little did I realize how true that would be.

I used to write plays (with a co-writer) for conventions. One of the plays we wrote was entitled "United Misfits," and it was about the feeling of camaraderie and family one can find with like-minded people at conventions. How many of us who attended conventions found the acceptance that was so lacking in the "real world."

I can safely say that my life would be completely different today if not for Star Wars. I probably would never have met my husband or the majority of my friends.

So let me take this opportunity to thank George Lucas.

And those people who I love and who have come to be my family. You know who you are!
  9. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    Awww, gosh, *blushes* Ahm the lucky one, although Sid would say, "It was your destiny..."

10. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    Twenty nine years ago this month I was going for the sixth time to see Star Wars. The lines had not gotten any shorter, in fact it just seemed the movie was never going to run out of draw.

It was hot, I had a car that worked like crap, the thing burned more oil than gas, but still got me to the movie and back. I had the soundtrack on 33 1/3 vinyl and was already well on my way to wearing it out, I think I listened to it every night.

Collecting figures was for "little kids" back then, but I was looking for model kits. Don't think those came out for a while longer though, and then the first was Vader's ship and the 12" X-Wing. About a year later they came out with the huge Estes flying model rocket version of the X-Wing, it's wingspan was about 24", it was the same size as the models used in the film supposedly. Well, I never finished it, I wanted to take my time and perfect it to every detail.

When we moved this year, I found it again, still have it intact, still not painted, but in great shape. I'm going to finish it this year and I'll bring it to the next Baycon we go to along with a hanging Death Star to decorate the room.

It brings back fond memories of the time when there was very very little of Star Wars to collect, when I flew model rockets and roller skated my weekends away, of an innocent time when I had no clue what the next day would bring, it was a magic time when time was endless, never did I say, "I don't have the time for that", it seemed that I always did have time to lie under trees, to do all the things I wanted. But never enough time for homework, ironically, heh.

The place I went to see it was new back then, the Citadel Mall was an artistic marvel, decorated with faux Aztec carvings and walls, it was AIR CONDITIONED and the place to be. It's still there I hear, but rather run down and antiquated now, much like myself.

But still I remember going to see the film when it was clear and unbroken, the colors were vibrant, the images a true marvel of technology and movie magic.

11. DarkLordSid Jedi Master

star 4
    (moved from another thread, this is the right place for it)

I collect (among other things) interesting Star Wars T-Shirts, particularly the ones with stunning colorful artwork, many with tie-dyed backgrounds, and wear these most frequently on the weekend. When in Monterey Saturday our merry band of tourists were using the elevator in the parking structure, and four people walked in with us, three young but mature women of Indian or Middle Eastern descent, dressed in hooded silk dresses or the like, and a handsome swarthy man with a short well trimmed black beard and dressed in a long embroidered and pleated cream colored silk robe. He had the look of a man of wealth and confidence, likely someone very well to do where he was from. Not only was I somewhat surprised to find they all spoke perfect English, but he grinned and pointed at the Star Wars shirt that I had picked up at CIII and exclaimed, "I love your shirt!" One of the women who looked over and said, "Ooooh, Darth Vader?" to which the man rolled his eyes and said, "No, no, that's Darth Maul and that's Darth Sidious!" The women oooh'd and aaah'd, and he grinned broadly and said that he loved Star Wars. Now we were in a bit of a rush to get along, so I didn't have a chance to chat, and we all went our own ways.

I don't know for sure what country they were from, although I'd suspect it was India, maybe Pakistan. Where ever they were from it gave me a grin the rest of the day thinking about how he was such a fan boy pointing out the characters with such enthusiasm to his "harem", and how such a thing as a movie could cross international boundries and put us all on a common ground.

Pretty amazing.
  12. AboutaSith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I remember pulling my Dad's Navy gas mask out and putting it on my head all the time cos it sounded like vade when i spoke/breath through it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.