Was 'American Graffiti' any good?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by dolphin, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CountBakufu Jedi Knight

star 2
    Personally I think it's one of his best films and a great film period. Definitely worth a rental that most I know end up going back and buying.
    They just had a one week run at one of the local theaters here. It was treat to see it on the big screen!
  2. Palpateen Jedi Master

star 4

I watched it for the first time recently because of this thread.

I was impressed with the movie. I didn't think George Lucas could make a movie like that. It was so different than SW or IJ.

A+ I can see why it was so successful and I can see why they let him make STAR WARS after American Graffiti.

If you haven't ever seen American Graffiti,
    I HIGHLY recommend it. :)
  3. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It was many years before I saw it. In fact, I finally looked at it last year, and cried. It was so good, that great. Oh, the growing pains of teen years emerging into adulthood. and those hot cars, the cruising brought back many memories. :D :D :D
  4. Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Master

star 4

I think anyone who has only seen the STAR WARS films is usually shocked when they see Lucas's previous work as a director on this classic movie. It's funny, heartwarming and poignant. I love it!
  5. Morgan Solo Force Ghost

star 1
    This is one of my favorite films.

The license plate on Milner's coupe is the first "easter egg" THX 138.

I wish that Lucas' later characters could be as well developed!
  6. Morgan Solo Force Ghost

star 1
    Here is something to consider;

Later in their careers;
    Richard Dreyfuss won an Oscar in the Goodbye Girl

Ron Howard won an Oscar for directing a Beautiful Mind

Kathleen Quinlan was nominated for a Oscar for Apollo 13

Paul Le Mat and Cindy Williams won Golden Globes for TV roles
  7. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    Personally its one of my favourite films, and i do rate it above the Star Wars films, its just a pure fun film (if that makes sence). I got the sequel the other day, i have started watching it but so far is not that good
    -----
    Comic Book Guy
  8. qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Got the DVD a couple of days ago, and it`s GREAT! And what a great soundtrack...My favourite scene was in the end of the movie when they`re gonna do the race. The cars cruising out to the sounds of Booker T & the MG`s..."Green Onions" Bloody great scene! :)
  9. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Possibly the best teen comedy ever.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  10. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I just got through watching this on TV and I was reminded of how great this movie is. I really need to pick up the DVD.
  11. Tayschrenn Jedi Master

star 4
    AMerican Graffiti is a fantastic movie. I've loved it since I first saw it and everytime since, it is definatly worth seeing if you haven't already.
  12. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's a timeless story and has a kick-ass soundtrack. It's one of my favorites.
  13. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Unlocked and upped (to prevent autolocker kickin in again overnight) by request.
  14. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Well dolphin, did you ever see it?
  15. DarthLazious Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I liked it and I am gonna get it on DVD this Holiday.
  16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I heard somewhere that the actors completely ad-libbed the scene after the race. They had no script to go by at all. Can anyone else verify that?
  17. Morgan Solo Force Ghost

star 1
    I read that too. IMDB.com mentions it. I love it when Toad yawns and says "what a night" as the sun is coming up behind them.

The movie was filmed in sequence. This scene was the next to last to be filmed. Lucas shot it this way so that the actors would look more and more tired as filming went on, therefore the charecters would look as they have been up all night.
  18. Ganwick_Trag Jedi Knight

star 1

Anybody that thinks Lucas can't direct actors oughta watch this film.
  19. Darth_Elu Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes, it was an awesome movie and i live in the town where most it was filmed which is really cool. :cool:
  20. appleseed Force Ghost

star 4
    Ganwick, that is so true.
  21. Blur Force Ghost

star 4

Yes, this is a great film. I just started watching this on DVD for the first time (previously I've only seen this on VHS), and it's fantastic so far.

And, to respond to someone else's post, "American Graffiti" is 100 times better than the wretched "Return of the Jedi" (though I can't say it's better than any of the other SW films).
  22. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    One of the best movies i ever seen
    It compared to, Go, Pulp Fiction (exluding the violence) and other great movies.

Makes you wonder what films would have been created if Gary Kurts and George Lucas never parted after SW.
  23. CountDoofus Jedi Knight

star 1

I've been a big Lucas fan all my life, but I actually never saw American Grafitti until last week! I was reading Lucas' biography "Mythmaker" and some of the antecdotes made me want to rent it, so I finally did. Not only was I impressed with it, but it actually made me mourn the fact that he's spent most of his life in a galaxy far, far, away... I mean, I love Star Wars and all, but... What genius would this man have been capable of had he stuck to making grounded films like Grafitti?

Oh, and then I rented Howard the Duck. Bad, bad idea. I'd heard it was bad, for many years, but I figured it's Lucas, what the hay. Never... Ever... Again. These negatives need to be burned along with the Star Wars Holiday Special and both Ewok movies.
  24. hansen Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, the Ewok movies are okay!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.