main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Amidala's name symbolic of Anakin's fall?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by adamlee, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamlee

adamlee Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 12, 2004
    I loved the first matrix.great film.and i know something the wachowski brothers love the sound of too.It goes Ka-ching! of course we have no right to mock them.given Lucas's love for the cabbage.

2. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Indeed -- I readily admit that I read the deus ex machina bit online in a Matrix movie review and that title for Neo immediately caught my eye -- realizing that the Wachowski brothers intentionally laid a huge double entendre on the audience (one which I failed to catch in the theater). So I simply borrowed from the brothers and applied their use of the title to Lord Vader. He is truly a devil/savior, a tragic god/machine.

3. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    wow an interesting thread? That hasn't happened here in a awhile, there was a names thread way back in the day and I authored a symbolisim thread with help from Sidious t too (shameless self promotion) But I am not so sure if Lucas planned all of the names, maybe just the major characters, I would love to see his explanation.

4. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    i was thinking the same thing.I wish Lucas would talk about the use of all the names.And yeah after all that has happened,it is virtually impossible to create an original thread.Even this one has it's predecessors. And by the way, you didn't fail to catch The Matrix Revolutions in the theater.You were spared.lol.

Wonder what Jar Jar means in sanskrit? Annoying ripoff of a retarded Bob Marley?

5. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    How bout Yoda?

Doe she mean anything? Must be something with wise or powerful

6. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Yoda's a dude...

7. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    But I am not so sure if Lucas planned all of the names, maybe just the major characters, I would love to see his explanation.

There is a little bit of the name explanation on one of the dvd commentaries. It seems the marketing people have a lot to say about the names.

8. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    really? that sucks.So I guess Lucas is like okay I want a new character, I am thinking Darth BabyKiller.Yes? And the marketing people are like...Umm how about Sir Kittyhuggins?

9. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Wouldn't shock me or anything. GL has a way of sliding in little plays on names all the time. Some of them are just more blatant than others.

10. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    AdamLee I did a paper too, many years ago before the PT came out on Star Wars in my philosophy class in my softomore year of college! Too funny. The instructor loved it and even let me read his work on his PhD dissertation which was on the rise of Darth Vader! I still have it. I guess we are all silently star wars geeks. Thats okay with me.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Darth Vader is Dark Father. Lucas confirmed that in 2005, though I don't think it was that way in the beginning. Vader is also the name of someone that Lucas knew growing up. Once he heard about Dark Father, he decided to use it. Yoda is the name of an actual Japanese philosopher that Lucas knew. Anakin/Annikin is based off the name of an actual film maker, I think it was. Luke Skywalker is said to be based off of LucaS, though I think that's more speculation than anything.

12. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    that is awesome.I like how detailed Lucas is.I am an aspiring writer and director.So I love to see people that I respect go to great lengths to give their work special meaning.Darth Sinister,thanks for the find.

13. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004

[face_laugh] Good one Darth Frared. There ALWAYS has to be a hidden meaning or symbolisim doesn't there?

14. darthmike29

darthmike29 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2002
    You dudes, are just taking this hidden meaning stuff too far!

Did you know that in Greek, amygdala means almonds (as in the nuts), and amygdalo means a single almond. BTW I'm not kidding.

Now I'd like you to find the hidden meaning in that!

15. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    ^^^^

Amen

16. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    really? that sucks.So I guess Lucas is like okay I want a new character, I am thinking Darth BabyKiller.Yes? And the marketing people are like...Umm how about Sir Kittyhuggins?

Yes, thats basically it, but give the marketing people just little bit more IQ credit. The action figures and other stuff has to sell. Lucas still has the final say of course.

17. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    your diggin to deep.

18. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    oh well.
    didn't look that one up.
    parts of our body are often named for resemblance to certain shapes. that's no big deal.

i'm still thinking the buddhist reference works best, especially in connection with 'padme', the lotus.

i think there is huge symbolism in words. especially in a work of art. and the symbolism isn't restricted to the origin of a word. it's also connected to sound and melody of a word. and SW is extremely rich in those. may i remind you of poggle the lesser and salacious crumb. i have no proper idea who or what is behind these names but they sound both otherworldly and very terrestric to me. just like SW tends to explore both space and our own tiny world, the words and names of the creatures do that.

so, no, i don't think we were overdoing it. i think we were just exercising our research muscles. :D and i for one love doing that.

19. Crazy_Old_Kermit

Crazy_Old_Kermit Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    Was that really what Lucas was leaning towards with Vader? Invader?

I know the whole Vader=Father and Dooku=Poison, but that's in our actual planet's languages I guess.

20. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    In response to the statement that we are digging too hard,nobody said you have to read the thread right? So flame off please.To the other posters,what do you think are some other cool names that have meaning?

21. UPwind-ooooh

UPwind-ooooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2003
    Sinister said: "Vader is also the name of someone that Lucas knew growing up."

That may be, but according to THIS SITE :

"It is interesting to note that "Vader" is the Dutch word for "father" and that the German word for "father" (Vater) is similar. Thus, it may be tempting to read the character name "Darth Vader" as "Dark Father". However, in the original scripts for Star Wars, the name "Darth Vader" was given to a normal Imperial general. Judging by the origin of the other Sith names, Vader may also possibly be a derivative of the word "invader." In the movie's novelization Darth Sidious conjures the name from the Dark Side?"Darth Vader" is supposed to mean him, supposedly a nod to his status as the Chosen One."

" Lucas took the name "Anakin" from his friend and fellow film director, Ken Annakin. "

22. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    To the other posters,what do you think are some other cool names that have meaning?

Well theres Aayla Secura. Secura would be secure, assured. Aayla is like pig latin for lay. :p

23. JFKIII

JFKIII Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    I hope I'm not making a mockery of this topic cuz I think it's really cool, but when saw the word amygdala I thought of that scene in the waterboy where the guy that looks like kfc's colonel sanders says (referring to adam sandler's character) "something's wrong with his medullah oblongata (spelling?) ! "

Whether or not gl made a conscious decision regarding amygala/amidala, that was a cool discovery.

24. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    JFKIII posted:
    Whether or not gl made a conscious decision regarding amygala/amidala, that was a cool discovery.

Thanks man.And no the waterboy reference wasn;t a mockery.It is funny.I wonder why Poggle the Lesser got his name.

25. JFKIII

JFKIII Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    Your welcome, adamlee. But THANK YOU for this topic. I agree very much with the other poster(s) who said that this is a thought-provoking topic. And the replies have been very enlightening as well. I didn't know that gl "officially" confirmed the whole darth vader/dark father thing finally this year. I seemed to remember him either saying it was a coincidence or evading the subject altogether. The reply about Bail bailing out Yoda and some others I can't recall at this moment are funny. Perhaps slj's character got his name because gl knew he would meet his end by going out a window, henceforth the name windu? ;) j/k I seem to recall gl having the mace character in some of, if not the first draft of the sw saga.

On a side note, Kenobi is a pretty bad@$$ name imo. Obi-wan is something that is sort of an acquired taste imo, but Kenobi is bad@$$. On the other hand, Qui-Gon Jinn is completely cool as far as I'm concerned. If anyone knows the history of their names, both storyline was and in reality, would be great to know. Maul was a bit of a let down to me. Nihilus (spl?) is cooler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.