main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Amidala's name symbolic of Anakin's fall?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by adamlee, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamlee

adamlee Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 12, 2004
    I wonder where Palpatine is from.Yeah if anyone has a clue where Obi Wan and Qui Gon came from,let us know.

2. JFKIII

JFKIII Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    I'm just guessing, I have nothing to back this up, but what do you do when you encounter someone/something that strikes fear in you? Your heart usually beats faster. In other words, you heart increases palpitations (spelling?) And since palpatine is supposed to be the most evil and fearsome entity in the entire saga, perhaps his name derives at least part of its origin from that? Like I said, I'm just grasping. If anyone has any concrete info, it would be appreciated.

3. JFKIII

Mar 23, 2005
    Double post.

4. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    good call JFK! I guess Luminara's name come from luminate,as in she was a point of light for the Jedi.And Kit Fisto was a good fighter?

5. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    Shows just how far this board has fallen.....

6. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    I wonder where Palpatine is from.

Well, Palpatine might be that hes more "palpable" to the palate than Sidious.

7. Hou-nom Jek

Hou-nom Jek Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2000
    Not a character name, but there is a governate (similar to the US version of a state) in Tunisia called "Tataouine". Very close to Tatooine. Tunisia is the country in Africa where all of the Tatooine scenes were filmed in the saga.

8. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    I always wondered about the word 'Sith' and what it came from or represented.

One possible meaning, according to Wikipedia:

"Cait Sith is a spelling variation of Cat Sidhe, a cat-like demon appearing in both Irish and Scottish Gaelic mythology."

If one looks up 'sidhe' (pronounced 'Shee' in Gaelic, In the same fashon as Sh? in Japanese), this definition is provided:

"The daoine sídhe (people demons) are a supernatural race in Irish mythology ? quite distinct from humankind. There are a number of different types of sídhe who can fly through the air and shift shape at will, sídhe who walk the earth at dusk, the guardian sídhe of the lakes of both Ireland and Scotland and many more."

9. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    Sidious T,go home and cry about it okay?"SHOWS JUST HOW FAR THIS SITE HAS FALLEN?" Are you Lucas's advisor?No.You are a fanboy just like the rest of us.Others enjoy the thread.So please flame somewhere else.Nobody wants to hear the sarcasm.Good find by the way on the find about the Sith,sorry forgot your name.

10. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^
    No problem, adamlee -- but in the future you can click 'show last 5 replies' below your message area (where you type) and you'll be able to see the most recent replies as you conjure up your wise and witty posts.

Now, back on subject -- someone earlier wondered where Yoda originated. Wikipedia (not definitive, but a decent source of relatively reliable info) states:

"Like many names in Star Wars, the name "Yoda" has been supposed to be etymologically derived from some ancient language - in this case possibly from the Sanskrit yoddha ("warrior") and/or the Hebrew yodea ("one who knows")."

11. aden

aden Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2005
    u guys no that anakin means warrior and luke means light? thought that one was pretty interesting.. but its weird because leia means weary..

EDIT : also.. i wonder where porkins came from? :p

12. MasterEnder

MasterEnder Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    I searched baby names and I got some pretty cool results. Sidious means to ensnare, Jinn means tenderness, Anakin means warrior, Padme means goddess, Luke means light, and Leia means weary.

13. aden

Nov 30, 2005
    hehe see my post?

14. JFKIII

Mar 23, 2005
    To MasterEnder and everone else interested, just to let you know babynames.com (which is where I'm assuming you got those definitions) put up those names AFTER star wars established them in the pop culture lexicon. Like for instance, the name beyonce is now on babynames.com and I think they list it as meaning beautiful, but it was not there on the site until destiny's child came into prominence.

15. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    "Pork" from the Latin, porkus, meaning pig.
    "Ïns" from the English, inside, meaning inside.

Hence, Porkins means a man with pigs inside him, denoting a very fat man.

16. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    Obi Chron posted:
    No problem, adamlee -- but in the future you can click 'show last 5 replies' below your message area (where you type) and you'll be able to see the most recent replies as you conjure up your wise and witty posts.

Is there some secret society all of you are a part of?Please just chill out and let's get along.Geez.Was anybody even talking to you?No, so thanks for playing.

What is Boba Fett or Lando Calrissian about?

17. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    DarthDuckie -- thank you for that amazingly informative interlude! My only reply to that is: That cat is on the roof. I'm hungry! Tomorrow it may rain, or it may not!

adamlee -- Dude . . . don't be so rude! Tis you who was quoting my post and then said you forgot who posted it, and I merely told you how to see through the fog of your blinded mind, courtesty of the webmaster (this is a relatively new feature), to view the last five posts. Don't be so sensitive and hostile -- the mods take exception to that. Learn to give help when needed and take it when offered. Lashing out only alienates and offends, and you will be ignored.

Back on subject: Agree that the SW related baby names were entered into the lexicon because of the popularity of the saga, and absolutely not because the saga names were taken from the popular lexicon!

GL thinks like a chess master, so deep on so many levels. He embroiders his movies with characters and places that have some deep level of meaning to him, so important personally that he relays them on to us -- sort of like a gift.

As the philosophical apprentice to Joseph Campbell, GL recreates the power of myth, the essentials of myth throuhout the SW saga. We may not read Greek Mythology or understand Shintoism, the Samurai or Buddhism, but GL translates that for us in the saga, providing the essentials in a very far out scifi setting, but not so far out that we cannot identify with all of the important elements.

Oh, and Luke does not mean 'light,' it means "bringer of the light" -- Padmé most closely means lotus, a flower believed to heighten meditation and enable dreams (ironic) -- Anakin's name is rumored to come from Ken Annakin, one of Lucas's friends and a fellow director -- George Lucas went to high school with someone called Gary Vader (coincidence?) -- Count Dooku most likely got his name from the Japanese word for poison, Doku. Christopher Lee confirms it: "Not many people realise that dooku is Japanese for 'poison' -- which is very appropriate, really, because he's lethal" -- The name of Anakin's mother is taken from Lakshmi , the Hindu goddess of wealth, light and fortune, known as "the mother of the universe ."

18. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    Obichron,the wise and witty posts thing was not meant to be helpful.

as you so eloquently put, BACK TO SUBJECT

Good post on the names Obichron.

19. Bob0_Fett

Bob0_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2002
    I'm basically coming out of retirement to bring this up, but this is the first thread that's caught my eye in a long time. So bare with me...

Palpatine's first name is evidenced (though disputedly so) to be Augustus. This can be assumed by the fact that the title to the final track on the Phantom Menace soundtrack is titled "Augie's Municipal Band and End Credits." Now in this track the vocals are the same, albeit sung more brightly and happily, as the lyrics in Palpatine's theme from Return of the Jedi.

So as part name origin, and part theory justification, I bring to your attention that Augustus was a Roman Emporer that...
    *Took control after Caeser's untimely murder
    *Formed the Second Triumvirate, an explicit grant of special powers and supported by law
    *Set in motion proscriptions in which three hundred senators and two thousand equites were deprived of their property and, for those who failed to escape, their lives, going beyond a simple purge of those allied with [Caeser's] assassins (which he vowed to destroy)
    *Note that equites is translated as Knight, and in the Ep. III deleted scenes mention a coaltion (or something) of 2,000 loyal senators that are, as we know, eventually "relieved" so to speak.

So thanx for reasding all that, I hope it made sense to somebody, as I've been trying to make sense of some of it for a while now.

20. adamlee

Mar 12, 2004
    great find, since Lucas is a history buff.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Your sarcasm isn't warrented in this thread.

22. aden

Nov 30, 2005
    lol
    So anyways .. when i asked what Porkins meant I was only kidding.

I wonder what Han Solo came from. Maybe a friend of George's?

23. UPwind-ooooh

UPwind-ooooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2003
    ^^^
    Some have speculated that the character was based upon Francis Ford Coppola, GL's friend and fellow director.

Taken literally, "Han" is an archaic English, Dutch and Czech form of "John," which means "God is merciful" or "God gives." The "Han" derivative survives in surnames like Hanson and Hancock. "Han" is also the 25th most common last name in China. Zhou Wu Wang made his youngest son the duke of Han, in charge of what became known as the Han kingdom. Most interestingly, in old German, "Hahn" from Middle High German hane or ?rooster.' "Hahn" is hence a nickname for a conceited or sexually active man.

Solo means "alone" or "loner" and is also defined as a flight in which the aircraft pilot is unaccompanied. Similiarly solo can mean a musical instrument performing unaccompanied.

24. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    So Han Solo means "a conceited, sexually active and unaccompanied aircraft pilot?

If he's sexually active, but flies 'solo,' then Han evidently 'chokes the chicken' -- or more accurately, the 'rooster'? Who knew?

25. JFKIII

Mar 23, 2005
    Lol at Obi-Chron :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.