main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Amidala's name symbolic of Anakin's fall?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by adamlee, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob0_Fett

Bob0_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2002
    One more thing about Palpy- the suffix -tine was not only quite common in Ancient Roman times, but the name Palpatine has an even more explicitly Roman origin. The seat of the Roman Imperial Government was at PALATINE Hill, in Rome. Another leg of support for the Roman Augustus thing.

2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I apologise for my Porkins post. I was just being silly and didn't mean to detract from the impressively intellectual tone of this thread.

3. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004

Feel free to ban me anytime Sinister

4. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    Ani & Ami

Dala in swedish means "going down"...

In other words the fall of Skywalker.

Hayden Christensen has swedish roots so there you go!

Falling for Amidala is not exactly hard
    but landing after that fall might just
    be a little bit harder.

5. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    it just occurred to me that i haven't answered the thread's question! so here it goes:

no

:D

her name seems to foreshadow more of her personality and her capacity of understanding and letting go.

6. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Windu's name seems to evade having a defined meaning, at least as far as I can find. Mace is obvious -- a spiked war hammer.

Ironic that he was tossed out a window and into the wind -- could 'Windu' perhaps be a play on words as to his demise?

If that were true, he would then be 'wind hammer' or 'hammer like the wind'

Perhaps 'hammer through the window'? [ducks head and runs]

7. UPwind-ooooh

UPwind-ooooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2003
    ^^^^^
    You'd think that if SLJ had such influence over GL, like the purple light saber thing, the brutha would represent. Sounds like he's got bad gas . . . . that's just wack!

8. Darth-Bone

Darth-Bone Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    I always thought it was him being in Coruscant, the heart of the republic, the heart of the jedi, the heart of the darkside, creating, something like "PALPAtations" in the force.

9. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    D-Bone, RE: Palpatine -- according to Wiki -- GL discusses the nature of democratic decay and Nixon, Abe Lincoln, Julius Caesar, Octavian, Napoleon Bonaparte and Emperor Constantine are cited as suitable inspirations for the character. Lucas, in the DVD commentary on Attack of the Clones, directly compared Palpatine to Adolf Hitler. "Like Hitler, Palpatine gains power after the Chancellor of the government is removed from office, and then limits the freedoms of the people, claiming these measures are necessary in order to find and eliminate threats he claims exist in their government. However, unlike Hitler, whose political ruthlessness was fueled by fanatical nationalism and Anti-semitism, Palpatine seems to be completely dispassionate and very Machiavellian, calculating all possible outcomes from a situation with the sole aim of increasing his power."

10. Darth-Bone

Darth-Bone Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    Not really sure where you were going with that toward me.
    i was just simply saying I personally thought the name Palpatine may or may not have been derived from being a palpatation in the heart of the universe

11. JarJarPlagueis

JarJarPlagueis Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 24, 2005
    Brilliant! I love it! [face_alien_1]

12. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Well, Padme does mean lotus...and lotus tend to die after they've bloomed...aka, after it reproduces...

Sounds like Padme to me...

13. Obi-Chron

Nov 11, 2003
    JarJarPlagueis posted:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

adamlee posted:
    I know this may seem stupid but hear me out before flaming on.
    Many of the characters in the saga are based on roots of words symbolic to their character

Darth Sidious-Insidious
    Darth Vader-Invader
    Darth Tyranus-Tyranny
    and so on and so on

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some have noted that "Vader" is the Dutch word for "father" and that the German word for "father" (Vater) is also very similar. So the name "Darth Vader" could easily be read as "Dark Father" except for the interesting fact that in the original working scripts for Star Wars, the name "Darth Vader" was given to a normal Imperial general officer. Only after several rewrites did Vader became the helmeted Imperial baddie we know and love.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Once Lucas heard about the Dark Father owing it's roots to the Dutch language, it became official. But before that, it was named after a guy he knew named Vader.

15. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    There's a little-known English word that I assumed Lucas used for Palpatine's name (note the lack of a second 'p'):

Pal·a·tine
    The most important of the seven hills of ancient Rome. Traditionally the location of the earliest Roman settlement, it was the site of many imperial palaces, including ones built by Tiberius, Nero, and Domitian.
    a. A soldier of the palace guard of the Roman emperors, formed in the time of Diocletian.
    b. A soldier of a major division of the Roman army formed in the time of Constantine I.
    2. Used as a title for various administrative officials of the late Roman and Byzantine empires.
    3. A feudal lord exercising sovereign power over his lands. Also called palsgrave.
    adj.
    1. Belonging to or fit for a palace.
    2. Of or relating to a palatine or palatinate.

I've edited this way down to the relevant parts. You can find more here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/palatine

16. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    Wowsers. That's a good one there.

17. adamlee

adamlee Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 12, 2004
    JARJARPLAGEUIS, thanks for the compliment.

And kudos to everyone who has cracked their brains to figure out all the names.The above me has an awesome post.So not to make it a lovefest but great job guys and girls

18. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    More than likely, the name Anakin was borrowed from the first five books of the Bible.

Just before the Hebrews are about the enter the land given to them by God (modern day Israel), most of the people become frightened by a race of people already living there called the Anakim.

The Anakim were a race of tall and intimidating people; referred to as giants in the Bible. They were seen as being very powerful in the eyes of other civilizations. Even though the Lord promised the Hebrews that he would grant them victory, the people operated by sight instead of faith and refused to enter the land because of the fear of the Anakim.

19. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    never heard of those guys. interesting.

20. Darth_Infernous

Darth_Infernous Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
    That's such a good point I'm sure her name has some meaning, adamlee that's great you picked that up I never would have thought about it myself! =D=

21. Bob0_Fett

Bob0_Fett Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2002
    Wow. Palatine. Gee, see my earlier post, why dontchya? JK I ♥ u all anyway.
    Well it seems these forums don't support more obscure characters... oh well you can google &#9829 if you care.

22. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    I wouldn't put it past George if that name really is symbolic in some way. Most stories with make believe languages are really just Latin words...Harry Potter for one.

23. JFKIII

JFKIII Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2005
    JediPrettyBoy, that was very interesting about the anakin/anakim connection. I have to look into that.

24. inkswamp

inkswamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Ah, I didn't see it first time around. I don't always read all posts in a thread, but I do scan to make sure I'm not repeating. That post slipped by.

25. oliviagoddess

oliviagoddess Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2005
    I did a little research The SW Names FAQ, Version 2.0 (C) Julie Lim, May 1994:

Loki, the Norse god of mischief, was also called "Loptr", which is sometimes translated as "Skywalker". Loki was punished
    for rebellion against the gods by being bound to a rock, where a serpent dropped burning venom onto his body. This presents a
    possible link to Anakin's lava bath. "Anakim" [sic] is one of several names in the Old Testament for a race of giants, "the sons of the gods [who] lay with the daughters of men" [Genesis 6:4]. ("Anakim" is actually plural.) This may refer to Anakin's great height, as Vader's size was not installed with the armor. Intended to evoke "dark father" Vader is the Dutch word for "father," but is not pronounced the same way as the name. It carries various other echoes (invader, evader, etc.), mostly from the Latin "vadere": "to go / advance." The phrase "vade mecum" ("come with me"), also from this root, was formerly applied in English to a manual or guide. Another Latin word, "vadum", means "shallow place or ford" but also "depths or the sea".

"Coruscant" is "flashing, shining, scintillating". From the Latin "coruscare": "to quiver or flash."

"Palpatine" seems to come from the Latin "palpare": "to stroke, press, or flatter" ( <- palpate, palpitations), with "Palatine", one of the seven hills of Rome, on which several emperors resided. By extension, the adjectival form "palatinus" acquired the meaning "imperial"; the Latin name of the hill itself "Palatium", is the root of "palace".

"Sith" is an archaic version of "since,"

"What is thy Body but a swall'wing Grave,
    Seeming to bury that Posterity
    Which by the Rights of Time thou needs must have
    If thou destroy them not in dark Obscurity?
    If so the World will hold thee in Disdain,
    Sith in thy Pride so fair a Hope is slain."
    [W Shakespeare, "Venus and Adonis", stanza 127]

Visually resembles the Irish name for Faerie, "Sidhe" (pronounced "she"). An especially tenuous link can be drawn from the Arthurian view of the tril, in which Leia, as Luke's sister and love interest, fulfills the role of Morgan le Fay; Leia is
    hailed in Zahn as "Lady Vader," the heir to Vader's Sith honorific (Sith = Sidhe = Faerie = Fay).

So, a playfull giant gets punished for being himself and is "saved" by an ingratiating lord in a shining city and has "since" been evil. I would say Padme's name has nothing to do with Anakin going bad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.