main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Anakin Abusive

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Cyn, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    No...a first time offender probably, in most cases, deserves the lightest sentence allowable upon conviction. Morally, I'd wish to give the "stole for food" offender one "out" with assistance to find a job/whatever so that said person could afford food for his/her family. Legally, I doubt there's a distinction between "stole for food" and "stole for kicks."

But a thief doesn't deserve the same sentence as a premeditated murderer, assuming both are convicted. That's why the law doesn't have a "one crime charge" that fits all offenders, with one sentence for all convicted felons.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Damn. The entire board has turned into Sheldon Cooper lately.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  3. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    ? I don't get the reference (I know who Sheldon Cooper is - I think - but the reference?)

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Sheldon overanalyzed things to death. His world must be perfect and orderly.
    In one episode they were at a Chinese restaurant (I think it was) and was annoying Raj and Leonard because their order sizes didn't align perfectly since Howard wasn't there.

Sudooku likes this.
  5. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Anakin wasn't abusive, he was psychotic!

6. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Of course he was abusive. They made Anakin so unlikeable in the prequel trilogy that he's more likeable as Darth Vader.

Yanksfan, TOSCHESTATION and ElanMars like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

[face_laugh] Oh yeah.. Chewie was teaching Lando a lesson, but he wasn't trying to kill the latter. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Oh man. I haven't had a good laugh since high school. Oh wait. Perhaps this board is for high schoolers.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    One side is presenting arguments on why they feel Anakin's behavior is wrong, as well as counterpoints to the actual arguments in defense of Anakin, as opposed to posts directed at the people defending him.

The other side is presenting condescension, hysteria, and occasional outright personal attacks on people who believe Anakin's behavior is wrong.

Which argument would be considered more mature?

Since you're so sure Chewie is evil, I'm not sure why you don't want to discuss it in the OT forum. Why is a thread about Anakin the best spot for such arguments?

10. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    DRush76 - drop the faux outrage and the talking down to other users, unless you'd like to take a vacation from the boards. If you're so disgusted by other opinions regarding a fictional story, feel free to leave.

11. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    Sheldon Cooper is exactly like Anakin Skywalker.

strip off the earth like education, the alcoholic father, put in the force powers and a life as slave on a alien world.

Sheldon = Vader!

In one episode sheldon accepts to be the pet of a hyperintelligent alien race. He is ok with beeing a slave like Anakin.

12. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I just feel like he had a lot of mental and emotionally underdeveloped issues

He was a tormented soul

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

In the US, someone who steals food would get a light slap on the wrist so long as it was misdemeanor and not a felony. In some nations, you wind up with your hands cut off for it.

[​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given the whole "novelizations are part of the new continuity as long as they align with what's on screen" thing - a case could be made that every scene in the ROTS novel that isn't a movie scene with different dialogue, can be thought of as "offscreen events".

While Anakin's not as aggressive in the movie when he reunites with her (different dialogue) there's other scenes.

15. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Yeah, that's pretty much ROTS Anakin: Killing everyone EXCEPT the actual guy you should kill - Sidious/Palpatine. 8-}

16. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

My outrage wasn't faux. I do believe that Chewie tried to kill Lando.

What other scenes in the movie, aside from his attack on Mustafar?

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The "you're sounding like a Separatist" scene does make him seem just a little more threatening IMO.

Revanfan1 and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  18. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    DRush76- This again? Yeah, Chewie was trying to kill Lando, who could blame him? The difference is that Chewie stopped, and, more importantly, didn't then try to disembowel everyone Lando loved and cared about. The moment Leia told him to stop, he released Lando and that was it, save for a few growls directed at Lando on the ship.

Regading Darth Sheldon Cooper- I could totally see him as a Sith in future Star Wars movies. It would just be perfect! :D

19. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008
    I did not get any abusive Anakin vibe from this scene. I got a "Anakin is suspicious about Padme's views" vibe. Nor did I get the feeling he was threatening to use violence on her, just engage in an argument.

Yeah . . . this again. I blame Chewie. I blame him, because he was too stupid and too caught up in his rage to realize that Lando had to choose the safety of Bespin's citizens over Han. By allowing his anger to get the best of him, Chewie gave in to evil at that moment. Just because he's one of the "good guys" doesn't make him incapable of evil. And Leia was too stupid and too emotional to realize the situation that Lando was in, as well.

The only reason Chewie stopped is that the other idiot known as Leia finally realized that Lando might know how to save Han. And Lando would have succeeded if Chewie hadn't lost his temper in the first place, and if Leia had not originally bothered to stop him. So, yeah . . . I'm going to keep on bringing this up, whether you like it or not.

20. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    DRush in failing to understand basic concepts about scale and context shock

21. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    No one said what Chewie did was right. What he did was very normal, very...human. Evil? The more I think about it, maybe a little. Lando was clearly in pain as he was being strangled. Chewie is stronger than a human, as mentioned time after time again; it wouldn't take him that long to kill a human if he really wanted to. Maybe he did want Lando to suffer a bit. Evil? Stupid? Yeah, perhaps. But still, very human.

Why should we expect him to think about the citizens of Cloud City? He doesn't know them, he has no attachment to them. The only other person in that city with whom he had attachment and loyalty to was just tortured and sold to the Empire, all while Chewie was completely helpless. All because of this dumbass who is currently being throttled. Again, not right at all. If Spock were there, he would've concluded that Chewie was acting "most illogical, indeed". He would definitely have seen things in the grander picture and defended Lando. He might even have made an effort to physically free Lando from Chewie's grips while trying to reason with the pair.

Regarding Anakin and Padme: I don't know about you, but if my love suddenly accused me of working for the enemy, my heart would just about stop. It would signify to me that my love didn't trust me anymore. It wasn't an argument, it was him blatantly saying, "I suspect you have sympathy for the Separatists!"

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not one who found Anakin creepy in AOTC, although a lot of people did.

"You sound like a Separatist!" was creepy though.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    "Evil" to me is conscious intent to harm or destroy. So Chewie's act was wrong and came from anger, but it wasn't evil. All wrong acts are not evil.

The only somewhat "creepy" thing I got from Anakin was the way he stared at Padme, when she said "stop looking at me like that." He was invading her personal space. No, that wasn't evil, either, but such a focused, intense gaze from a relative stranger is unnerving.

25. Cunning Sweater Set

Cunning Sweater Set Jedi Padawan

Jun 5, 2014
    What I've always wondered is.. did he use the Force on her. Waved his hand at opportune moments, smoothed over her doubts and twinges about him. Made himself seem more trustworthy and sympathetic even as what he was saying was narcissistic and full of red flags. It would have started out slowly, tweaking her sympathies so he was in a better light because she wanted to see him that way. Classic manipulation. Then he would have gotten himself deeper into her emotionally and his use of the force to dull her perceptions of him and enhance her feelings for him would have become addictive. Eventually it would have been simmering along in the background of all their exchanges because why would he want an honest exchange with her when he can have her loving him and supporting him? Because love is good right, if we can just brush away those doubts and silly hysterics we will have more love.

Yes it only works on the weak minded but that is exactly what love does, especially when you're young. Makes us weak.

Yanksfan likes this.