main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Anakin convinced at the beginning of ROTS that his Dreams were prophetic or.....

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by halfwits-r-us, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    .......Did Padme's urging of Anakin to reveal his dream, and her reacton to finding out that it was about her and the Baby, Cause a greater urgency in Anakin than it might have been?. was Anakin still trying to determine if it was a Vision , or just a dream?. and did her fear over hearing it concerned the baby kickstart his Quest to prevent it?.

2. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    I think Anakin knew it was more than just a dream. He?s had the same visions before and they turned out to be true. With that said, I don?t think he ever second guessed himself about the dreams/visions of Padmè's death being false. Did Padmè?s concern kick start his quest? I say absolutely.

3. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    Also an interesting parallel is how she was there when he went to save his mother, not that she kick started him but she certainly didn't stop him.

4. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    i think it was slightly prophetic, i mean with order 66 at hand and emergency powers, sidious could hav destroyed the jedi order at any time.

5. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    I'm not entirely convinced Anakin was absolutely 100% positive that his dreams meant Padme was going to die . i think he really wanted to convince himself and her that it was " Only a Dream " as ObiWan said " Dreams pas in time " perhaps he saw it as a cooincidence. as he said it was like the dreams he had about his mother. he also had dreams about going Back to tatooine and freeing the slaves. that did not come true. Anakin seems to have lots of dreams, and if i recall the Novel , it states something like not letting things take their natural course , and trying to prevent them from happenning can actualy cause them to happen. I think at first Anakin thought they were just bad dreams, and tried to accept them as such , but seeing how much it scared Padme to hear it concerned the baby, gave him more of a sense of urgency.

Good question Halfwits

6. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    It's that reality shock that the possibility of his child and beloved wife could die, really set him forward. It is important although not really mentioned, but Anakin probably sees himself as being a father, like the father he never had as something that he also can't live without.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin knew the minute he woke up, what it was that he just saw. He's seen them before and is convinced that they will always come true, no matter what. He is forgetting the fundamental rule of sensing the future. The future is always in motion. Though we only see one example of this, Anakin's constantly bombarded with the vision, everytime he closes his eyes to sleep or meditate.

8. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Anakin has seen many things before. even as a Child he had Visions and dreams .and not all came true. it was likely he knew that there was a real danger in this one , but he appeared to be trying to convince himself otherwise. I think there is some Merit in Padme's reaction , that caused the urgency to resolve them. but the Irony IS that by his trying to Prevent it , he is actually the cause of it.

9. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005
    I don't think we can really know if Anakin believed all of his visions will become true, sure the fact that his mom died adds creedence to his visions, yet Yoda did tell him to be careful of the future. I just think he didn't want to risk the vision becoming true, not that he believed it was true or not.

10. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    quite the contrary.

i think we can safely assume that anakin took the dreams for real. the trauma of the last one lingers: he feared for his mom's safety and so he will do the utmost to prevent this one, because the last one came true.

it is beside the point to discuss that even the last dream he had was caused by fear, it doesn't really matter to him anymore.

i find the line quite telling: (what is it again?) 'we will not worry' which is of course what he can't stop.

anyway, i haven't really made up my mind whether the jedi were often telling him that he's the chosen one or not at all. if he was told often, he'd think of them as prophetic, but then i guess he would expect a reaction from yoda accordingly. and yoda is just sort of neutral.
    so, if he isn't told he just quietly and desparingly assumes that these dreams that he has *always* come true and that this time he isn't going to let it happen.

11. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    The thing one is that Anakin thought that Padme was going to die. What he did not know was it was going to be by his hands. If he would have did what Yoda said Padme would not have dead. Becasue in the end the problem that Anakin has is that he can not let go of those that die. Yoda wanted him to be happy not about the fact that they dead. But that they became one with the force and that they lead a good life. It took him years to understand that part.

12. jedi_jacks

Jul 17, 2005
    i dont know, i think padme wouldve died no matter what anakin wouldve done, i mean order 66 was there, things were on the brink.

13. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Not so sure jedi_jacks.

ROTS novel pg 182

And yet the great prophets of the Jedi Order had always taught that the gravest Danger in trying to prevent a Vision of the the Future from coming to pass is that in doing so , a Jedi can actually BRING it to pass-as though if he's run away in time to save his mother he might have made himself somehow responsible for her death.
    As though if he tried to save Padme , he could end up-blankly impossible though it was , Killing her HIMSELF

it is very possible that Anakin was trying to avoid this by telling himself it was only a dream , but the Danger to Padme and his child was too great to ignore or chance it. Hence the Irony that he cause it himself . so his not acting very well could have saved her.

14. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    so his not acting very well could have saved her.

but that's impossible, isn't it? not to act on the possible avoidance of trauma.

15. halfwits-r-us

Mar 27, 2005

It happens every time someone gets in a car and crashes after drinking alcohol to the point of enebriation. Not to take my own thread off topic, just pointing out a truth that happens alot..

16. jedi_jacks

Jul 17, 2005
    DUGGY
    it is very possible that Anakin was trying to avoid this by telling himself it was only a dream , but the Danger to Padme and his child was too great to ignore or chance it. Hence the Irony that he cause it himself . so his not acting very well could have saved her.

ya, i hav to agree with that. anakin did hav the power to save padme now that i think about it, she wasnt absolutely doomed. if anakin when he had his saber to sidious' back, if anakin had struck sidious down right there and did kill him, that wouldve probably saved padme, now that i think of it.

17. Han-my-boogie

Han-my-boogie Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    IMHO Anakin's Dooku slaying was the beginning of the end for Padme. If Anakin showed Dooku mercy then the bad dreams would never have started. Anakin's un-jedi like act started his true descent to the dark side. Padme could never exist with Anakin as a dark side user. He starts down dark path - she dies. But the future is always in motion. If Anakin didn't have the greed to control people's fates he would have stayed a true jedi, and Padme would have survived. Anakin's dreams are really only based on probability; they show the likely outcome according to his actions of the time. It was always hard for Anakin to let go. Anakin is too possessive to let Padme die and too stubborn to hear Yoda's advice. So in answer to your question, Anakin's dream was a look at was to come and it was a consequence of his actions. He had the ability to change his actions hence changing his dreams but this was something he couldn't do, and affected EVERYONE!

18. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    He sure does. It happened to his mother, and he even tells us that he will become some powerful that he'll stop people from dying.
    Notice his words after this first scene discussing his dream. He doesn't say that he thinks or believes that she'll die in childbirth, he actually says that she dies in childbirth, as if it's a fact.

ANAKIN: You die in childbirth . . .

PADME: And the baby?

ANAKIN: I don't know.

PADME: It was only a dream.

ANAKIN takes PADME in his arms.

ANAKIN: . . . I won't let this one become real, Padme

19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    One of the main rules of the Jedi is to not have attachment,and Anakin having the dreams is one of the reasons why.

Because he's close to Padme, like he was close to his mother, he can feel their pain whether it be future or present. Anakin knew his mother was in trouble in AOTC, he even said Jedi's dont have dreams,they have visions. After he loses his mother and slaughters tusken raiders,which he knew was wrong, you think he's going to risk letting Padme die,too?

He says its a dream,like the one he used to have about his mother right before she died. Watch the way he says it,its very unemotional,like he's trying to forget it but the dreams of Padme brings it back. He promises he wont fail his mother again,so I guess thats what initially got him so determined to save Padme [Aside from the fact she's his loving wife whose carrying his child.]

Padme didn't seem to worried about it,she seemed more worried about the fact that it could be a possibility,but she was more concerned for the baby. She even says later 'Is that whats bothering you?' Almost like he shouldnt even be thinking about it still,because it was probably just a dream.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  20. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Not so sure jedi_jacks.

ROTS novel pg 182

And yet the great prophets of the Jedi Order had always taught that the gravest Danger in trying to prevent a Vision of the the Future from coming to pass is that in doing so , a Jedi can actually BRING it to pass-

Ahh, so Yoda and Anakin are illiterate/ignorant in the teachings of the great phophets of the Jedi order or choose to ignore them. :p

21. jedi_jacks

Jul 17, 2005
    hmmmm, interesting voodoopuuduu, how does yoda do this? [face_thinking]

22. EwohEkim

EwohEkim Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2005
    I just realized- there was a moment like this in ESB, when Luke had his vision on DAgobah, that he had to rescue his friends. It was an impulsive decision, and like Anakin, Luke was foregoing everything to save them.

Though in Luke's case, he had no desire for power like his Father, Luke just moreso wanted to protect those he cared about. and in doing so, Vader sensed this and tried to use it, muh the same way that Palpatine did on Anakin. Though in Luke's case, when his taunting Dark Lord started to get personal (if you will not turn to the Dark Side, then perhaps, she, will), he snapped and went all out at his father.

23. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    It happens every time someone gets in a car and crashes after drinking alcohol to the point of enebriation. Not to take my own thread off topic, just pointing out a truth that happens alot..

not sure what you mean here, halfwits, could you elaborate for my sake?

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The prophets quote from the book refers to the fact that if Anakin took active steps to prevent it from happening, her death will happen. But by doing nothing, which is what Yoda tells him to do, it will more than likely not come to pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.