main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Anakin really happy about having a child?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Lars_Muul, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I'm curious about what you think. Did his reaction to Padmé's "I'm pregnant" convey happiness, doubt.... what?

I'm not sure, really
    /LM

2. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    "Oops"

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Yeah, that's a nice one. He is happy, but initially afraid of what it means.

Anakin wants kids
    /LM

4. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Anakin's look doesn't really display happiness at first, but I think he's shocked and worried about what might happen; it won't be easy to hide the pregnancy and the Jedi Order will most likely take the children away from them. When he pushes those feelings back, I think he's genuinely happy. After all, he says that it's the happiest moment of his life and I believe he's being truthful.

5. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I think he's just shocked. He was worried that something bad had happened to Padme, and she drops that bit of news. In a way, this is his excuse to leave the Jedi. In the EU he talks about after the war leaving the Jedi to live on Naboo with her... and having a child would be exactly the reasoning he needs. Of course over the movie he does a total 180, all because of a dream.

I love Hayden's performance here. It's by far the best interaction between he and Natalie in either movie. He gives her such a devilish little smile and you know she's his entire world. His surprise at the news is obvious and understandable. And she's still worried even when he says it's wonderful, which is a great response. Hayden's convinction to the emotions is what sells me on all their scenes, despite some later awkward dialog.

6. Blyte_the_Noghri

Blyte_the_Noghri Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    Being a father and having my wife say those words to me, the first reaction is a mix of shock, happiness, and being a dad, fear. How will we pay for the future? Will I be able to handle it, etc? Anakin has to know his career as a jedi is doomed at that moment. He either has to leave the order (forced or not) or not spend much time with his family who would have to be hidden. That is a lot to face in a nano-second. He is thrilled, but is busy trying to figure out what to do in the same instance. This is part of the reason he is so adamant about ending the war quickly. Hayden played his reaction very well.

7. TheUnknownSyn

TheUnknownSyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2003
    "and the Jedi Order will most likely take the children away from them"

What makes you say that? Because they're force sensitive and are to be trained? Now of course the Jedi Order takes in children but I doubt they can actually force it without the parent's approval. I really doubt Anakin would allow it.

I guess the question is what the JO would do if Anakin actually attempted to train the kids.

8. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    I think what he really wants is a normal life. That is one thing he has never had. From being a slave to being padawan to a jedi knight in a war he has never had a normal life. This is his excuse. There is a good chance he will now be expelled from the order. And padme can't be a senator now. So they will have the chance to go back to naboo, where it is nice, and live as a family.

I think Anakin would have serious reservations about letting his child become a Jedi. Look at how he chafed under their rules.

9. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    I think the natural fear and shock a typical dad would have would get multiplied with the consequences of being a jedi, and him knowing that Padme would probably get the child taken away when it's identified as force sensitive.

10. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    I think that he really was. If you watch his face, his first reaction is joy... but then he thinks of all of the consequences and after he does he decides he doesn't care and he is excited. This is one of my favorite scenes in the movie and probably the best Anakin and Padme scene (with dialogue at least)in any of the movies.

But you can also tell he is happy because he mentions the baby in some of their other conversations. "our baby is a blessing."

11. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    What makes you say that? Because they're force sensitive and are to be trained? Now of course the Jedi Order takes in children but I doubt they can actually force it without the parent's approval. I really doubt Anakin would allow it.

I just assumed that since the children are force sensitive, the Jedi Order would take them. I didn't think it was up to the parents to decide. If it is, I believe you're right. Anakin would never let them take the children away from him or Padmé.

12. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    My thoughts are basically that he was thrilled but yeah, his first thought was, oh my god, now I have to hide the fact I'm having a child(ren)and how is that going to just slip under the Jedi Council radar. But then he realizes, hey, once the war is over, I can have my family and be done with the hiding, the Order. Not everyone seemingly has the best first reaction to having children.

But gosh yes, Hayden's smile. It would melt the frostiest of ice caps. Oh, did I let that slip out? Pardon me. [face_blush] [face_love]

13. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    ^^^ aaaahhh yeah. =P~ I'll agree with you there!

14. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
  15. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    PUHlease, the fanboys in 3SA are much worse than us.. always going off on Twi'leks and their boobs.

16. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    It wasn't like I didn't contribute to the topic. But I couldn't help but make that comment. And I don't make many like that but Hayden is the exception for me and he is nice on the eyes in ROTS. I know I'm not the only one that feels that way. I think it's perfectly acceptable to make comments here and there as well as being on topic.

Back to topic.....:D

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I acutally couldn't read his reaction that well in this scene.

I mean, the facial expressions and things were fine, I guess. But the score got kind of sinister when Padme made the revelation, so I wasn't certain if he wsa uspposed to be, well, angry about it, or something.

18. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I don't think he was terribly happy about it. Just one more thing to get in the way of his obsession with Padme. And you'll notice he doesn't really ever talk about the children or mention them again. He continues to obsess over Padme without concern for his children.

I just don't think he cared all that much one way or the other. He cares first and foremost about himself, and secondly about Padme. Everything else is secondary.

19. leelee

Jan 4, 2003
    He does too talk about their baby again. "I came to see if you and the baby were all right."
    "Our baby is a blessing."

20. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    At first I wasnt sure, but the more I saw it, the more I think he does seem happy.
    Obviously shocked (who wouldnt be), but happy.

21. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    About the sinister part with the music, I think that was meant to convey that the pregnancy will be another issue, that Anakin would have to come to terms with, with the Jedi. Another doubt that enters Anakin's mind, which will make it a more confusing state for him.

He's pleased about it, but he's not very comfortable on how the Jedi may admonish him.

22. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    I just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with the general consensus that he's happy, but shocked and afraid about what's to come. I also feel that Hayden did a particularly nice job in conveying the emotion of the moment in that scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.