main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Anakin right about Padme and Obi Wan?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I think if Lucas wanted us to think there was an affair; it would have been onscreen in a very direct way; so that it perfectly clear. This works because Anakin can't see all the angles, but I think maybe he thought he could. So having him develop a hatred toward Obi Wan based on the idea that Padme joined his old Master against him shows the potential danger of possessive love. This point drives home even further when there wasn't any betrayal against him rather than if there was.

Also, I think for the OT to work with the PT story wise, it's important that Luke and Leia are Anakin's children. This sets up the correct motivations of the Emperor and Vader given that they can feel the power of the force in Luke. Obi Wan and Yoda were great Jedi but the potential of power was the greatest in Anakin and his children. This is partly why Luke is the New Hope. He has the potential to stand up against the Sith, and yet reach the good in Anakin that Padme could have reached had she force powers to ward off Vader. It's no coincidence that Luke was able to reach Anakin and Obi Wan was not. Family ties and blood is thicker than water.

2. Darth_Cerus

Darth_Cerus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2006
    Really? I must have missed the scene where Leia cheats on Han.

3. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    Hmmm...I didn't see that. I thought that those were the only thoughts that didn't come to him through the Force but only through his paranoia caused by the Dark Side's pull which clouded his judgement.

4. Minela

Apr 28, 2005

I like the way you think. Hmmm...

5. Darth_Cerus

Jan 10, 2006
    Doesn't anyone want to cite the deleted lines, like Palpatine telling Anakin that Obi-Wan's mind had been clouded by "a certain female Senator".

That's where Anakin's suspicion came from. It caused him to misread his visions.

Incidently the only vision that seemed to hint at something going on was Obi-Wan "coaching" Padme, which was actually filmed as Luke and leia's birth but later turned into a vision.

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    "But the film made it clear those things [thoughts about Obi and Padme] came to him through the force."

Hmmm...I didn't see that.

No, I was talking about the visions of his mother and Padme's death.

7. SuperShmi06

SuperShmi06 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2003
    lol when were they giving each other "gimme" eyes?

8. Minela

Apr 28, 2005
    I thought the deleted lines werer About anakin and a certain female Senator, not Obi-Wan.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    They're deleted. They don't mean anything in the final context of the film.

10. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I think the Jealusey between Obi-wan and Anakin really works because it can show more of Anakins Paranioa dispite the Fact that nothing was going on between Obi-wan and Padme.

11. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Its barely even implied, its not at all explored, and it has absolutely nothing at all to do with the consequences that occur . Either that or we're dealing with some of the worst acting ever .

12. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002

You're kidding, right? There has been no establishment that Padme and Obi-Wan was romantically involved. Is this thread supposed to be a joke?

Why would Padme refused to give up Anakin's destination to Obi-Wan in ROTS, if she and the Jedi Master were involved with each other?

And let's not forget at the end of TPM when Obi Wan and Padme give each other the "gimme" eyes.

Oh, for Pete's sake! It was Anakin and Padme who had exchanged smiles. Obi-Wan had simply noticed.

Nor were Anakin and Obi-Wan rivals for Padme's affections. If anything, both Padme (love and marriage) and Obi-Wan (duty toward the Jedi Order) represented as rivals for Anakin's loyalty.

13. Darth_Cerus

Jan 10, 2006
    True but I'm pointing out that Anakin suspecting Padme of having an affair with Obi-Wan was a subplot at one time that was later removed. Those scenes are intact in the novel BTW.

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    And the movie overrules the novel, so no, there's no basis for this.

15. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I never read the novel, and I never got that Ani ever thought that Pad & Obi were into each other, only that Obi was trying to turn Pad against him.

16. Chiss_Athena

Chiss_Athena Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2006
    I have read the novel by Matthew Stover. It only had Anakin suspecting an affair between Padme and Obi-Wan, but it only supports the paranoia of Anakin which is further intensified by Palpatine. The scene of "Obi-Wan" coaching "Padme" was taken out of context of the vision and misinterpreted by Anakin as an affair...that same vision is really Obi-Wan's concern at the end of the movie. It reminds me of Luke's vision in which his friends were being tortured and he thought they would be killed... the torturing was only to try to bring Luke to Vader...

To answer the question of the thread...No, Anakin was wrong about Padme and Obi Wan. Out of jealousy, paranoia, and with Palpatine's power of suggestion, Anakin wrongly believed there was an affair...

17. -Courtney-

-Courtney- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 8, 2005
    One of the twins belongs to Obi-Wan the other is Anakin's! Lol, that would mean there was only semi-incest going on in ANH! It is an interesting idea, one that many fanfiction authors have toyed with before. I think that kind of adds this whole new dimension and teh dramas to the story. How ever I seriously doubt it, Obi-Wan is a genuine good guy and even if he weren't a jedi I doubt a man like he would even think of betraying his friend like that. Yet Anakin still suspected it.

18. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    There is a triangle of sorts wrt Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme, but not in the obvious way hollywood does these things. I never saw Obi-Wan remotely interested in Padme in a sexual or romantic way, but both Obi-Wan and Padme's lives revolve around Anakin quite a bit. They are in competition of sorts with each other for Anakin. Obi-Wan is Anakin's master and still has plenty of sway, while Padme, the wife also pulls him in a different direction.

I agree with this assessment.

It's interesting that many want to ponder the possibility of Padme being caught in the middle between Anakin and Obi-Wan. But that seems so cliched to me. I think that Lucas' "triangle" ended up being more original and interesting. Anakin is the one who is really caught in the middle between Padme and Obi-Wan, yet he becomes suspicious of the two "rivals".

19. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    The idea that Obi-wan and Padme were having an affair was something that was originally in the script and filmed. It wasn't cut until the editing process and was cut b/c GL felt that it was too much and he had to keep it simpler (not b/c it was a family movie, but b/c he didn't want too many subplots). Because of this, certain aspects of it bled over into the film. It's fine that it's there and some people see it and some people don't. However the intent was to never have Padme and Obi-wan actually having an affair. It was simply a combination of Palpatine lying to him (in an effort to both compound his stress and help push him away from Obi-wan) and a misinterpretation of his visions. He keeps seeing Obi-wan being there during Padme's childbirth. This doesn't make any sense to Anakin b/c she's his wife and he should be there- not Obi-wan. In reality he (Obi-wan) was there b/c Anakin/Vader was smoldering on a table having just tried to murder his wife and unborn children.

20. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    It's curious that dishonest people are the least trusting. Anakin was living in deception by keeping his relationship with Padmé a secret, so he naturally saw deceit in others even if it wasn't there. Perhaps Anakin's greatest failing was not being able to trust himself.

21. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Oh yeah, like Obi Wan, the guy who has worked with hot single women like Aayla Secura and never attempted to make a move, would really make a move on a pregnant woman. That's using the brain, Ani.

22. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Obi Wan isn't stupid, he knew something was going on between them but at that time Anakin was his own Jedi knight and therefore would suffer the consequences himself. But Obi Wan finds out what he's done and he goes to confront the one person who would know exactly whats going on in his head and where he can be.

Obi Wan follows the order completely, he wouldn't be doing anything with anyone and especially not the woman of his once padawan, now considered brother.

The whole point of the love story is that its quite pure and typical. Two kids in love with eachother, they don't care about anyone else other than eachother, and that what brings the downfall in the end. Padme wouldn't do that to Anakin, he's her world as she his.

23. Haylo_Tau

Haylo_Tau Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2006
    In ROTS when Obi-wan learns padme's pregnent he says "anakins the father isn't he." the two were alone. if obi-wan were the father why would he say that? unless obi-wan was accusing padme of cheating on him WITH HER HUSBAND! geez the two didn't have an affair. anakin was paranoid.

24. E107_Theta

E107_Theta Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    In the movie, Anakin's paranoia wasn't really touched on at on (unfortunately) but yeah, in the novel it was implied that Anakin thought they were having an affair. IIRC, it was Palpatine who planted the idea in his head, too.

Were Obi-Wan and Padme having an affair? No. But the movie would have been a lot more interesting if they did, or at least if the movie at least said that Anakin thought so, even if they didn't. I personally think it would have been too difficult to develop an affair between Padme and OB1 in one movie though, people already complain that Episode III is too rushed.

The movie would have been a lot better had he cut all the General Grevious junk and left the affair scenes in. It would have made more sense, much like how in Episode II, had George left in some of the deleted scenes, Anakin wouldn't seem so much like a creepy stalker...

25. ObiWannaKracker

ObiWannaKracker Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Except if you remember that much of the OT was culled from other myths - including the Arthurian legend (think Arthur, Lancelot & Guinevere)

Was there an affair? - no.

Did Ani think there was - possibly/probably

but it can, in fact, fit into the amalgam of mythos that is the Star Wars Saga

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.