PT Was Anakin Skywalker a "bad" Jedi?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Charlie512, May 28, 2013.

Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. MOC Yak Face Moderator, Classic Trilogy

Manager
    star 4
    [quote

Would this inter personal training include leaning back and catching each other?

[/quote]

Yep, and if you cheat by catching your partner with the force you're expelled from the order!

Seriously though, to what extent are the Jedi Council obliged to do anything with Anakin. If they deem him unsuitable for Jedi training, isn't that it? They didn't select him. Qui-Gon is essentially responsible for him being there. If he isn't selected, he's Qui-Gon's responsibility.

As it was, I think they knew that Qui-Gon, and then Obiwan, would've trained Anakin regardless of their position, so they decided to go against their better judgment and at least keep him close to the fold. A couple of people have already suggested this.[/quote]
    Last edited by DarthDuckie, Jul 3, 2013
  2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost

star 4
    Was Anakin Skywalker a "bad" Jedi?

A bad Jedi? No. A Jedi that didn't follow set rules? Yes, indeed.

I think Anakin, in the end, didn't believe in the Jedi Code and therefore did not want to be the traditional Jedi Knight like everyone else was. Yes, he liked the power that came with it, and the adventurous life, as well. But deep down he didn't want to be tied down with rules that inhibited him in helping others, so therefore he wasn't devoted to being like other Jedi, which was total obedience to the Jedi Order and its dogmatic views. He instead steered away from his beliefs in the Jedi ways and took his own path, and I believe this new outlook on life happened right after his mother died.
    Last edited by DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR, Jul 4, 2013
  3. MOC Yak Face Moderator, Classic Trilogy

Manager
    star 4
    I think it would be fair to say that Anakin didn't really want to be a Jedi, but rather a very powerful force user who chose how to use that power himself, rather than following a restrictive code laid down by someone else. Conveniently enough, that's pretty much what a Sith is.
    Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. Darth Dominikkus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    But as a child he always said that he wanted to be a Jedi? He had dreams of him coming back to Tattoine as a Jedi and rescuing slaves. I feel like as he got older though, he started to feel restricted and wanted to learn more about the force himself and not be restricted by the Jedi code. So I feel like your point could work.
  5. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    He only said that because he didn't know what being a Jedi meant. He didn't really know what a Jedi was. He just thought it was cool guy with a lasersword that got to travel the stars.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. PiettsHat Force Ghost

star 4
    I think Anakin likely didn't understand what being a Jedi entailed when he signed up. He was nine years old -- how many of us at that age have a full understanding of what our dream job will really be like?

I would tweak your definition of a Sith though -- I'd say a Sith is defined primarily by the fact that they are willing to exercise their power at the expense of others, not just for themselves.

Anakin, I think, wanted to choose how to use that power himself, but I do think he wanted to help people as well. He became a Sith when he allowed his lust for power to supersede the welfare of others.
    DarthDuckie likes this.
  7. Rachel_In_Red Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Padme was queen of a planet as a teenager, and Major Payne had a full-time job at six years old.
    DarthDuckie and CT-867-5309 like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    True, but I still don't think Anakin had any idea what the hell "being a Jedi" meant. Case in point: he had the dream about freeing slaves, and Qui-Gon specifically said they weren't there to free slaves--there was no real "WTF?" moment on Anakin's part after that; I think he still thought that he could come back and free slaves ("I will come back and free you, Mom"). He also looked out at the stars and said he wanted to see all of them.

Star Wars may have some kids in abnormally mature situations, Padme included, but Anakin, other than being a slave, seemed like a pretty normal 9-year-old to me. And I've been around a lot of 9-year-olds.
    DarthDuckie likes this.
  9. MOC Yak Face Moderator, Classic Trilogy

Manager
    star 4
    I agree that Anakin didn't know what being a Jedi really involved as a boy. It was all laser swords and fruit levitation. As an adult, though, I don't think things changed all that much. He still liked the laser swords and levitating fruit, but not so much the subservience to authority, discipline and restraint elements.
  10. Darth Dominikkus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    He had the physical traits and only wanted the looks of being a Jedi it seems. He seemed to throw away or care less about the virtues that came with the role.
  11. Michael McKean Jedi Knight

star 1
    He
    He may have been a bad, disobedient Jedi but he was a good human being. He cared for others, especially Padme, and yet he still found the good in himself to remain committed to the Jedi Order. I think that few could withstand that pressure, especially considering marriage was forbidden within the Jedi. He also had a true passion for the Republic and wanted to help others as can be seen in The Phantom Menace when he questions why nobody helps each other and states that it is the biggest problem with the galaxy. He then helps Qui-gon acquire the credits he needs by risking his life in a potentially treacherous pod-race. It is a shame that all these amazing qualities were taken advantage of by Sidious. I feel that Anakin was such an unruly Jedi because he was such a passionate and true human being.
    lbr789, minnishe and d_arblay like this.
  12. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    He also thought that Jedi were invincible, so yeah... he really had no clue.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Michael McKean Jedi Knight

star 1
    This is true. He was incredibly, dangerously overambitious and it got him into trouble on numerous occasions such as his defeat at the hands of Count Dooku on Geonosis. Moreover, he was very ungrateful toward the decision to put him on the Jedi Council. Anakin, you are the only Jedi in history to have been put on the Council at such a young age, even when you aren't a master; and yet you complain? Seriously! In the original trilogy, we see the same overconfidence flowing through the veins of his son Luke, such as when he chooses to go on a rampant personal mission to Bespin rather than heed the advice of Masters Yoda and Obi-Wan: the only remaining Jedi beside himself and two of the most experienced even at the time of Order 66.
  14. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4
    Frankly, I have doubt that the other Jedi had a grip on their fears and emotions. I rather doubt it, judging from the actions and beliefs of the likes of Yoda, Mace and Obi-Wan.

Their handling of emotional attachments has never struck me as adequate. Instead of teaching their acolytes on how to face and deal with emotional attachments in the right manner . . . or even acknowledging that distancing oneself from attachments takes time, the Jedi merely imposed a rule upon the Order's members and failed to realize they had formed an attachment to the Order itself.
    Last edited by DRush76, Jul 13, 2013
    minnishe likes this.
Moderators: Bazinga'd