main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Was Anakin the chosen one?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Baghdad, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Baghdad

Baghdad Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    I feel like although this wasn't explicitly answered in the movies, when he killed the Emperor in ROTJ then everybody assumed the answer was yes. But I'm not so sure. Part of the issue is that how would we ever know when the Force is balanced? The prophecy is mentioned in the PT when there are more Jedi than at any other point in the films but apparently it isn't balanced. I have always assumed that "balance of the Force" meant equal parts of light and dark in the galaxy but what if that's not what was meant? Did he balance it in ROTS by going darkside or did he balance it in ROTJ by going lightside? Or possibly neither or possibly both.

What are your personal opinions AND what do you think was intended by the writers?

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    As intended by GL, he is. He brought balance when he destroyed the Sith. They were in control of the galaxy, which means that the dark side was in control. That's imbalance.

The dark side is part of the natural order, but it needs to be kept in its natural state. Dark and light are supposed to be equal opposites.
    The purpose of the Jedi is to serve the will of the Force and guard the balance. They, like everyone else, have a dark side, but they can't allow it to dominate their being. They must preserve their inner balance. That's why they can never be allowed to use the dark side; to act through it. It's simply too tempting to keep going. Before long, it will take control and corrupt them.
    As GL would put it, it's easier to be evil than to be good.

My personal view? I'll take it as it comes. With GL out of the picture, they might decide to put a new spin on it and as long as they have a valid reason for doing so, I'm game.
    I'm completely on board with GL's view, though.

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yes and it's not even a question. he destroyed the sith. that is balance. no sith. prophecy fulfilled. the end.

4. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    I think the whole chosen one is of the weakest if not the weakest element of the PT. Does it really makes sense to bring balance to the force. Only a generation later in the ST we already have new darkside users causing troubles,they may or may not be "Sith" but they use the darkside and are not exactly friendly people. If we look at the EU I think it gets eve worse with Sith all over the place. I don't see how anyone can bring balance and destroy the Sith. All it takes is a few midichlorians and a malicious intention and **** hit the fan for the galaxy pretty fast.

only one kenobi likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The dark side never went away just because Anakin destroyed the Sith. Nor was it ever said that a new threat wouldn't emerge. As Lor San Tekka said, without the Jedi, there cannot be balance. The Jedi had become not just the guardians of peace and justice, but they were the ones making sure that the Sith and those like them weren't disrupting the balance to the Force. If the Jedi were completely exterminated and there was no one else to keep the balance, then the balance would be destroyed. Anakin was needed because everything was reaching a point where the Jedi weren't going to be able to do it on their own and needed someone who could help them.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. Baghdad

Jan 1, 2016
    But there were probably still other darksiders like Snoke. And, if there weren't, then that's not balance. On the surface the answer seems obvious, but I have my doubts.

7. Baghdad

Jan 1, 2016
    Agreed. Who's prophecy was it anyway? Was that ever revealed?

8. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    this is what gl said it was. this sith is the imbalance not the dark side. snoke and the knights of ren aren't sith. the prophecy is fulfilled and done with. if people don't understand it and think it's a weak plot point that's their problem.

9. Baghdad

Jan 1, 2016
    Well, you obviously have all of the answers. Congratulations.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It's balance of the Force, not Force users. Lucas has been clear since he first explained it in 2000, it was destroying the Sith that brings balance. Not destroying the Jedi. We have the answers because Lucas told us the answers, sixteen years ago.

"The overriding philosophy in Episode I—and in all the Star Wars movies, for that matter—is the balance between good and evil. The Force itself breaks into two sides: the living Force and a greater, cosmic Force. The living Force makes you sensitive to other living things, makes you intuitive, and allows you to read other people's minds, etc. But the greater Force has to do with destiny. In working with the Force, you can find your destiny and you can choose to either follow it or not."

--George Lucas, Star Wars: The Making of Episode I, 1999

"If good and evil are mixed things become blurred - there is nothing between good and evil, everything is gray. In each of us we to have balance these emotions, and in the Star Wars saga the most important point is balance, balance between everything. It is dangerous to lose this. In The Phantom Menace one of the Jedi Council already knows the balance of the Force is starting to slip, and will slip further. It is obvious to this person that the Sith are going to destroy this balance. On the other hand a prediction which is referred to states someone will replace the balance in the future. At the right time a balance may again be created, but presently it is being eroded by dark forces."

--George Lucas, Cut Magazine Interview, 1999.

"The Midichlorians have brought Anakin into being as “the chosen one” who will balance the universe. The mystery around that theory is that we don’t know yet whether the chosen one is a good or a bad person. He is to bring balance to the Force; but at this point, we don’t know what side of the Force needs to be balanced out."

--George Lucas, Star Wars: The Making of Episode I, 1999

"I think it is obvious that [Qui-Gon] was wrong in Episode I and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The “phantom menace” refers to the force of the dark side of the universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the galaxy, but the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader—also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction and Qui-Gon are correct—Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor."

--George Lucas, Cut Magazine interview, 1999.

"The first film starts with the last age of the Republic; which is it's getting tired, old, it's getting corrupt. There's the rise of the Sith, who are now becoming a force, and in the backdrop of this you have Anakin Skywalker: a young boy who's destined to be a very significant player in bringing balance back to the Force and the Republic.

In the second film, we get into more of that turmoil. It's the beginning of the Clone Wars, it's the beginning of the end of democracy in the Republic, sorta the beginning of the end of the Republic, and it's Anakin Skywalker beginning to deal with some of his more intense emotions of anger, hatred, sense of loss, possessiveness, jealousy, and the other things he's coping with.

Then we will get to the 3rd film, where he is seduced to the dark side, which brings up to films four, five, and six, where Anakin's offspring redeem him & allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe."

--George Lucas, The Star Wars Trilogy VHS Boxset 2000.

"I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in Star Wars."

--George Lucas, Los Angeles Times interview, 2002.

"As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

"There is a hint in the movie that there was a Sith Lord who had the power to create life. But it's left unsaid: Is Anakin a product of a super-Sith who influenced the Midichlorians to create him, or is he simply created by the Midichlorians to bring forth a prophecy, or was he created by the Force through the Midichlorians? It's left up to the audience to decide. How he was born ultimately has no relationship to how he dies, because in the end, the prophecy is true: Balance comes back to the Force."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stone Magazine, 2005.

"It really has to do with learning," Lucas says, "Children teach you compassion. They teach you to love unconditionally. Anakin can't be redeemed for all the pain and suffering he's caused. He doesn't right the wrongs, but he stops the horror. The end of the Saga is simply Anakin saying, I care about this person, regardless of what it means to me. I will throw away everything that I have, everything that I've grown to love- primarily the Emperor- and throw away my life, to save this person. And I'm doing it because he has faith in me; he loves me despite all the horrible things I've done. I broke his mother's heart, but he still cares about me, and I can't let that die. Anakin is very different in the end. The thing of it is: The prophecy was right. Anakin was the chosen one, and he does bring balance to the Force. He takes the one ounce of good still left in him and destroys the Emperor out of compassion for his son."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 221.

11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    correct.

12. solrdzm

solrdzm Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Anakin was the chosen one, he fulfilled the prophecy and brought balance to the force.
    Anakin made a love sacrifice to save his son, he had compassion, he redeemed himself, he finally could understand everything , he remembered the reasons why he was a Jedi and why the Jedi were there to keep the justice and the peace in the galaxy,actually there some comments that the title of ep6 refers to Anakin returning as a jedi too, destroying himself Darth Vader and Darth Sidious(because I think that Darth Sidious unbalanced the force no with the numbers of dark users, just using it to control the galaxy for his own good only to have himself the power) Anakin balanced the force and let the way free to luke to restored the Jedi order and obviously luke and the future Jedi should keep it.

Enviado desde mi SM-A500M mediante Tapatalk

thejeditraitor and Evening Star like this.
  13. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Well Anakin was the chosen one...until he went to the dark side. Obi-wan pretty much screamed it in his face when he lay like a kebab on the lava lake. He was supposed to destroy the Sith not join them. So imho no he wasn't the chosen one. He begat Luke. You could say he really only brought balance to the Force indirectly. In the end he was redeemed by the love of his son. Luke saved Anakin. It wasn't the other way around.

I would suggest without Luke, Anakin would never have escaped from the Emperor's grasp.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he was still the chosen one after he fell. He was the one who destroyed the Sith, not Luke.

15. ImpreciseStormtrooper

Jan 8, 2016
    Yes. All true. I guess I've just never bought into the whole 'chosen one' concept. It's pretty weak when you think about it. Balance is achieved how? Via the genocide of the Jedi and then a last minute decision to throw Palpatine down a hole.

And 10 minutes later Lando pretty much would've killed Palpatine whether Vader had turned at the end or not anyway.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    By ending the cause of imbalance: the Sith.

The genocide of the Jedi only brought the Force more into darkness. Balance was needed before and after that happened.

You don't know that.

17. ImpreciseStormtrooper

Jan 8, 2016
    Balance is a Jedi concept to begin with. For them killing the Sith achieves this. But it's essentially unattainable as the Dark side never goes away. Ever.The Sith were supposedly extinct for a millennium. And the Jedi in all that time still believed in a prophecy that balance was something still yet to pass. No pleasing some people, hey? The Sith only have the rule of 2. So as long as 2 people in the universe are on team Sith balance is impossible.

Remains gibberish to me even years later. Oh well.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The dark side is part of the Force, it's not meant to go away. The Sith are not the dark side, but they are making the dark side take over the light, therefore bringing the Force out of balance.

Yes. What's the problem?

thejeditraitor and Evening Star like this.
  19. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    The Jedi thought the Sith were extinct, but there were always one or two continuing the line in hiding.

Like others have said, the dark side never goes away. It is perhaps more that the Sith cause an imbalance because they make the dark side envelop the part of the force a lightsider is in tune with. The dark side is always there (partially in any force user), but the Sith cause the dark side to pollute the pool, hence the "unbalanced" explanation.

If anything, the blame for the weakening of this concept falls on TFA. But at least there are no Sith in the new films.

20. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    How many times are people going to ask this? It isn't some subliminal NWO Illuminati ****

Yes.

21. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Been asking myself the same. I thought it was a well known fact that he's the chosen one.

thejeditraitor and Deliveranze like this.
  22. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Guess people really don't want Anakin to be a good guy lol it is like when people still debate whether Obi wan was lying or not in ROTJ....

23. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I get the feeling this question comes from the same people who can't accept the prequels are canon and pretend they don't exist.

Deliveranze likes this.
  24. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Honestly you're right. I just didn't want to get flamed for saying it. Lol

25. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    no that's not it at all. it's um, people that uh, don't understand things that well. (this is me trying to be nice.)

Deliveranze and Evening Star like this.