main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Anakin's life of a Jedi REALLY better than his life as a slave...?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by --Skywalker--, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    I think not. Here are the facts:
    AS A SLAVE
    -Anakin had his pod, friends(Kitster,Jira,etc), and Mother
    -he works a few hours a day,everday
    -Anakin had his podracer which was one of his few leisures
    -Anakin could love

AS A JEDI
    -Anakin had Palpatine as a friend, and a "brother" to Obi-Wan but they were quite different from each other up until RotS IMO
    -Anakin works 24/7
    -Anakin cant even see his old friends or mother
    -Anakin cannot love(although we all know what THAT leads to...)
    -Anakin cannot even hate, so therefore not being able to love OR hate sounds inhumane

of course this is only my opinion

2. Edel-Ien

Edel-Ien Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Well, it sounds pretty good (being a slave), now that you've laid it all out, but slavery might have been misconstrued in Qui-Gon's mind. See, people in the Republic were probably brought up to think slavery was SERIOUSLY INHUMANE, with masters beating, abusing, etc., their slaves. But Anakin and Shmi actually had it better than most: Watto, as stated in the TPM visual dictionary, was a much nicer slave owner than most. An example: Jabba. It probably would be better for him in the long run...But his midi-cholrain count is so high it can't possibly be ignored, so his life is better as a Jedi. Why? Because his dream is to save his friends and others from slavery. He might have gotten blown up if...ahhh, my opinion is weak on this...

3. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    It doesnt matter how good of a life he had, the whole reason he was made was to destroy the sith no matter how miserable he is. It was his destiny.

4. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    But as a Jedi, he gets a lightsaber.

Done. Where do I sign? :D

5. Ashton

Ashton Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    Wasnt it his dream to see all the planets or something in TPM? As a Jedi, thats what he was able to do.

6. --Skywalker--

Oct 3, 2004
    yes, but my point is that I dont think being a Jedi was what Anakin expected IMO.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    No, I think imagined he'd get the girl and be invulnerable like all kids do when they wanna be a hero. But he had to face reality.

8. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Where would we be...without FREEDOM!?

9. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Jedi are allowed to love

Also, you forgot a minor tidbit

Slave:

- Has a bomb planted somewhere in his body

- O_F

10. --Skywalker--

Oct 3, 2004
    Actually Anakin said that they are "encouraged" to love.

11. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    Which means they're allowed to love, otherwise they would've made sure nobody would be "encouraged".

"The Jedi are trained to let go. They're trained from birth," he continues, "They're not supposed to form attachments. They can love people- in fact, they should love everybody. They should love their enemies; they should love the Sith. But they can't form attachments. So what all these movies are about is: greed. Greed is a source of pain and suffering for everybody. And the ultimate state of greed is the desire to cheat death."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith, page 213

- O_F

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Life as a Jedi isn't easy, but he chose that path. He has no room to complain, in my opinion. Jedi are servants of the people. They aren't meant to have actual lives because that would take away from their concentration.

13. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    There's an EU JQ book where Anakin wonders to himself if becoming a Jedi was giving up one form of slavery for another.

So maybe he thinks being a Jedi is sometimes equivalent to the life of a slave. He is always calling someone at some point "Master"

14. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    he was never free, would the jedi have helped him be free and let him go his own way if he had wanted?

15. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I don't think that the Jedi are allowed to love because it leads to attachment.

love=A deep, tender feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship or sense of oneness.

attachment=the act of attaching or the condition of being attached. A bond, as of affection; fond regard.

These definitions I've found on the college dictionary show that love and attachment are the same because both rely on affection for a person to be drawn to other people which tells me that the Jedi are being hypocritical with their no attachment rules. You can't love someone and not be attached to them at the same time because it doesn't work that way or else Yoda wouldn't be clutching his hand on his heart after sensing his fellow Jedi being killed off across the galaxies. That shows that he had an attachment to those Jedi because he trained them since their births and he should have known that those rules are the reason that Anakin is so greedy and mentally unstable.

It's also why Anakin had a better life as a slave despite that he had no freedom but he still had his mother that loved him very much.

16. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    Hmmm, let's see, slave on a backwater planet or powerful, elite, galactic hotshot...let's just say I didn't see Anakin ever ask to leave the Jedi order and hop a transport back to Tatooine.

17. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    Well, according to Lucas; greed and jealousy lead to attachments, not love. Different authors - different definitions. And George even says Jedi are allowed to love there, so of course they can. Loving someone without being attached to them is exactly what saves Anakins soul, "I've got to save you father" "You already have Luke", he's willing die - because he loves Luke unconditionally, but he's not attached to him. It's the same with Obi/QuiGon in TPM, whereas Anakin/mom/Padme shows, instead of healthy love, a man thats attached to his loved ones.

- O_F

18. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    But what Lucas failed to realise is that greed and jealousy are the results of not being allowed to love because when a man wants to date girls and his Christian mentors tell him that he can't, that makes him greedy and resentful of his mentors for not giving him the free will to do what he wants.

That's why Anakin resorted to marrying Padme in secret and for what transpired in ROTS.

If that were true, then there was no reason for Anakin to keep his marriage a secret.

1)If Anakin/Vader wasn't attached to Luke, then he would never had sacrificed himself trying to save him because he feared death so much and 2) he became attached to Padme and his mom because he wasn't allowed to see either of them.

19. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005

Let me guess, you took this from Matt Stover in ROTS? Because he brings up the same point in the book.

20. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    There are different definitions and aspects of love. I was sad to learn in the PT that the Jedi were supposed to be celebate. That didn't make sense to me, they are, afterall, Jedi Knights, not Jedi monks. I'd rather be a slave, allowed to have adult, sexual relationships, than any "free" man prohibited from this; I think most married people, or people in serious loving relationships would agree. Anakin was far to young to have an opinion on this when he became a padawan, and this has deadly ramifications for the galaxy. Knowing what he later knew, he would rather have been a slave, Padme would have bought him and freed him and they could have been happily married and that would have been the end of it.

21. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005

That's interesting... and suppose watto lost him in another bet, and sold him to a hutt, who decided to use this special little human, as rancor food[face_laugh]

Just because TPM depicted slavery from the POV of a 10 year old, doesn't mean slavery is a good thing

22. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    I guess no one is interested in arguing that anakin was better off as rancor chow[face_laugh]

23. poker

poker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2005
    ...as a 9 years old kid

24. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005

yes, as a 9 year old kid, and with no information other than legends on what the life of a Jedi would be.

I can't help finding these posts going "after all, it was his choice" rather cynical, and I'd really like to know what "choices" these posters have made at the age of nine on the basis of zero information that determine their whole life, and they are still happy with.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to add: A "choice", with the alternative to remain in slavery.

25. am-pm

am-pm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    Yes, he made the choice at a young age, but the point is that he could have left the Jedi whenever he wanted to. I don't believe I ever heard Yoda and Obi-Wan discussing the "Hunt-Down-And-Kill-Anyone-Who-Does-Not-Want-To-Be-A-Jedi" rule. He is the one that wanted to be a Jedi even as an adult, in fact the most powerful Jedi ever, and a master, and on the council...oh AND Padme. If he'd wanted a simple married life far away from it all, he could simply have done that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.