main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Atlantic ~was anyone else affected byThe Great Blackout of 2003~

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2003
    well, the biggest blackout in american history just happened... and actually, is still going on as i type this...
    now, knowing that not everyone who posts in ACG is actually from AC... i am curious to hear if anyone else had any power problems.

as for me... my hometown in michigan DID get an affect... but it didnt last long at all... kinda like most power failures in this part... the power will go out for like 5 seconds, and it is back on.

i was actually in a car with my best friend, and we were listening to the radio, and all of a sudden, none of the radio stations worked... and they are from all over... none... as we got closer to my home city, we saw the stoplights blinking... it was rather odd... lol first the radio... now the stoplights... i had originally thought that there was like a disturbance in the electical fields in the atmosphere... lol.
    anywho... i guess that i am glad that i am getting that cable job in detroit in november, instead of originally planned (i would be there right now if i had gone with the original plan)... because my cousins are all without power now... energy people are saying that it could be as long as 3 days before all of the power in michigan and ohio are back in order.

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    <delurk>

Niagara was sporadic as well. Where I live in St. Catharines we never lost power. Just a block away though it was out. Most of the city was out for at least a few hours. Chris (YoungJediNiagara) had no power for about 3 hours.

Mind you I had power but my ISP didn't, so I was without internet until midnight!

As I write this, there are still pockets without. Not sure how extensive. I'm waiting to see a map to see what cities and towns were hit and which weren't.

I can tell you that parts of Toronto must still be out. One of my ISPs based there is still giving me failures trying to get e-mail.

3. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Well, we weren't really affected here in Northern Maine. The only thing that was affected was the TV schedule! That's all that was on CBC last night (yes, northern Maine really is part of New Brunswick...I get CBC but not FOX!!!)

4. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    No, us Eastern Canadians had power...unless we had a thundershower. It didn't affect me...although I do have an uncle in NYC.

5. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I was not affected. :cool:

But that's because I don't live on the east coast. ;)

6. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I had power, and thus was able to watch the TV, which had lots of shots of New York without any lights on.

How do I know they weren't just broadcasting a black screen? Well, I don't, I pretty much have to take their word on that, but yeah, it seemed silly :p

7. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    I was without power at work for a few hours. Then the power came back on as I was on my way home.

I had to laugh at the suggestion that the electicity plant was hit by lightning. Where I live I can see the mist from Niagara Falls (20 min drive away). There wasn't a cloud in the sky for miles around.

8. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Nope. No power loss here. Sorry. [face_blush]

9. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    yeah, it was odd how the shape of the failure went... my city was affected... but not "hit", we only lost for like 5 seconds... but seemingly all around us... well, east, west, and south, were affected... and i was for surre that i was going to have to change my job title from zamboni driver to lifeguard... lol... the power was out at the rink (2 sheets) for approximately 10 hours... but, when i went in today for my check... ther still was 2 normal looking sheets... no long term or significant dammage.
    my grandparents, and cousins are still without power...

10. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I didn't, but my grandparents did.

11. THE_GREAT_SPANKSTA

Jan 2, 2003
    one of the members of my band had an interesting side affect from the blackout... his heater (when power was re-gained) was stuck on full heat... for 2 days, it was like 95 degrees (farenheit of course) in his apartment... then, when he called the repair guy, he said that he wasnt able to fix it until monday (this being on friday), but reminded him that he had the breaker in his apartment, so, he could just turn off the power to the heater...

12. DarthSmurf

DarthSmurf Jedi Master star 5

May 10, 2003
    I had my power during the entire blackout, but I did watch everything on CNN :p My uncle in Ottawa was out of power and my friend in Toronto was also out of power though.

13. Bucket

Bucket Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    out here in the wild west...well, we had power. and we laughed at those who didn't. it was funny.

14. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    No power loss in BC. :p

Oh BTW. USA, you owe us some money...pay your power bill or we'll cut you off. [face_plain]

15. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    *gives 3PX some money*

16. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    More... [face_mischief]

17. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    we went broke.