main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was AOTC Better Than Plan 9 From Outer Space?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by rsterling78, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    "The spaceships' are up there. The graveyard's over there. But we're here." ...or something very close to that.

"There's been a murder here...and SOMEONE'S RESPONSIBLE!"

:p

Plan 9 has THE funniest dialouge of any movie ever made! AOTC's romantic hack dialouge is terrible and could even give Wood a run for his money. But...

I know Ed Wood...
    I LIVE Ed Wood...
    You, Mr. Lucas, are no Ed Wood.

:D

2. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    [face_laugh]

i think the real question is:
    was aotc WORSE than plan 9 from outer space?
    is it bad enough to usurp the reigning champion of cheese and be considered the worst movie ever?

no

3. Darth_Terrell

Darth_Terrell Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    This must be the bashers thread. Ah how the Star Wars bashers group together in their own little thread. How cute.

AOTC rules. Plan 9 is a piece of sh**! Lucas rules! Ed Wood sucks moose-tool. Nuff said.

4. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    Oh grow up!

5. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "This must be the bashers thread. Ah how the Star Wars bashers group together in their own little thread. How cute.

AOTC rules. Plan 9 is a piece of sh**! Lucas rules! Ed Wood sucks moose-tool. Nuff said."

Darth_Terrell do you have anything to say about the opinions here or did you just come by to bash the people expressing them?

6. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "is it bad enough to usurp the reigning champion of cheese and be considered the worst movie ever?"

hahaha no way. a bad movie still has to be entertaining to keep that title. Plan 9 is way more entertaining in its badness. AOTC is just, well, bad.

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    This must be the bashers thread. Ah how the Star Wars bashers group together in their own little thread. How cute.

Oh, get a sense of humor. If you think rsterling is being serious, then you really need to take another look.

Now, now, DrE, let's not let this one turn into another basher/gusher war (not that I'm accusing you of doing that, it's just that things like this never lead anywhere good)

8. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    sorry chief, gotta call it like i see it.

9. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Ed-Wood certainly does not suck moose-tool. What a strange phrase. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Wood has a larger cult following than Lucas, for good or bad. I'm being serious.

10. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    This was NOT intended to be a basher thread! Comparing AOTC to Plan 9 is like comparing The Maltese Falcon to The Green Slime:

[image=http://www.norcalmovies.com/TheMalteseFalcon/mf-poster4.jpg] [image=http://www.eccentric-cinema.com/images/movie_pix_a-i/green_slime1.jpg]

It's a joke!

If you didn't like AOTC, please post your opinions in one of the other threads. This one's for folks who liked 'Clones' and appreciate the humor of comparing it to Ed Wood's unintentionally so-bad-it's-good "opus."

11. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    sorry bout that. i was busy scratching my head with the barrel of my gun and i noticed someone trying to start trouble.

nobody calls Ed Wood a moose tool sucker and gets away with it!

12. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "I've seen 'Clones' compared with LOTR, Minority Report, even Scooby Doo. How do you think it stacks up against Ed Wood's 1959 "movie" Plan 9 From Outer Space?"

silly me for comparing the two. and with a sense of humor even!

13. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I really hope this is a joke. :)

If not, then of course AOTC is better! Far superior!

If so, then YES! YES! Plan 9 IS better than AOTC! Far superior! :)

EDIT: Oh, I just read that it is. Ok: I can't believe people think AOTC is better than Plan 9! Oh my goodness! :)

14. professor_klump

professor_klump Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    When I first saw AOTC and heard some of the clunky dialog, I thought straight away how much it reminded me of Plan 9. It amazes me now, that I wasn't the only one, but in terms of which is better, I have to say that I never get bored with Plan 9.
    The Anakin dream sequence is definately a Plan 9 moment.

15. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    "nobody calls Ed Wood a moose tool sucker and gets away with it!"

Well, Leia got away with calling Han Solo a "laserbrain" and a "half-witted, scruffy-looking NERFHERDER!" And yet bashers of the PT let her get away with bad dialogue...

16. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    "Was AOTC Better Than Plan 9 From Outer Space?"

No, no it wasn't. It paled in comparison. It was a shallow attempt to try and capture the granduer and epic scale of Plan 9, but it failed in many ways...jk!

rsterling I like your use of pics. Makes me proud. ;)

17. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    Thanks, Lord Mauly Mall!

[image=http://www.badmovies.org/movies/plannine/plannine7.jpg]
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/kaminoan/img/eu_bg.jpg]
    Both films contained bizarre, otherworldly aliens.

18. Emperor_Kefka

Emperor_Kefka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    Uweee! Up we go!

19. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    How did Plan 9 do at the box office?

$1.50....But them's 1959 dollars!

ferelwookie, are you counting the Special Edition re-release where they fixed the Bela Lugosi problem by digitally replacing him with a guy with a cape over his face for the whole movie?

If so, the total gross should be $1.89 (in 1959 money...) 8-}

20. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

Ed Wood clearly is the weaker director when it comes to CGI. He has no talent whatsoever at using this fantastic technological tool of computer generated imagery which was of course developed by the Russians in the 1920s. None of the CGI used by Ed in Plan 9 was believable, nor was it seamlessly integrated into the story.

21. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Wood has a larger cult following than Lucas, for good or bad. I'm being serious.

Well, ol' Tim Burton DID make a movie on Mr. Wood. Maybye Joel Schumacher will make a great movie on Lucas a la Batman & Robin :)

22. Super_Nation_Jock

Jul 4, 2002

Someone already made a movie about Lucas.
    It was called LUCAS IN LOVE. It's pretty good.

23. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Oh yea! :p

Actually, I read an article a few months ago that the DVD for Lucas In Love actually sold more than the DVD for TPM in some places.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the DVD part--but I DID read that the independent film was more well-received by critics than the first prequel :eek:

24. Super_Nation_Jock

Jul 4, 2002

Yeah, I saw that same lie somewhere myself.

No, LUCAS IN LOVE didn't sell more units than TPM. It may have sold more units in one particular place, such as AMAZON, but that's not where TPM is primarily marketed.
    People can twist information out of meanness.

I saw it. It's a very well made short.

It even prompted a congratulatory letter to the writer/director from Lucas, who said he really enjoyed it.

25. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "Was AOTC Better Than Plan 9 From Outer Space?"

HELL YES IT WAS [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.