main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was AOTC Better Than Plan 9 From Outer Space?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by rsterling78, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002
    rsterling78, [face_laugh]

Your post on AS GOOD AS IT GETS may well be the most incisive post on the basher issue I have ever seen on theforce.net

I confidently predict it's brilliance, common sense and wisdom will be unfathomable, invisible and incomprehensible to bashers.

The title of this thread is absurd.

2. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    "Modern women. They've been like that all down through the ages."
    -Jeff Trent, Plan 9 From Outer Space

3. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    As Good As It Gets is not the fifth film released as part of a saga of As Good As It Gets films. I didnt like AOTC, but i still collect star wars merchandise, and visit star wars sites, and watch star wars films.

this is a board for discussion of star wars, the saga, and the films that are part of that saga. it is also a place for people who are fans of that saga to discuss many things about said saga, including negative reactions. sorry if you cant handle that.

and guess what? some people saw the humor in the topic of this thread, and some also saw that there actually may be comparisons between the films.

if you want to live in a vaccuum where no one contradicts you, or disagrees with your opinions, best of luck to you. unfortunately this is not that place.

4. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "Death...is even more of a shock when it comes unexpectedly and without warning."

5. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

[face_laugh], see, I was right!

6. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    i knew he would say that.

i bet SNJ replies!

and if he doesnt reply because he wants to prove me wrong... even better!

7. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    "As Good As It Gets is not the fifth film released as part of a saga of As Good As It Gets films."
    Who said it was? Irrelevant.

"this is a board for discussion of star wars, the saga, and the films that are part of that saga. it is also a place for people who are fans of that saga to discuss many things about said saga, including negative reactions. sorry if you cant handle that."
    The "shift" key will allow you to capitalize letters at the beginning of a sentence. The apostrophe key will allow you to make verbal contractions such as "can't."

"and guess what? some people saw the humor in the topic of this thread, and some also saw that there actually may be comparisons between the films."
    The humor stems from the fact that the films have no comparison. AOTC was a very well done, albeit not perfect, film. P9FOS is an amusingly atrocious film. Don't these sentences look good with capital letters?

"if you want to live in a vaccuum where no one contradicts you, or disagrees with your opinions, best of luck to you. unfortunately this is not that place."
    Actually, there are probably two shift keys on your keyboard. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with both of them. By the way, there is only one letter "C" in the word "vacuum."

8. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    thanks for the spelling and punctuation lesson. it has nothing to do with the content of my post.

i have a friend who has won several emmys for writing. his spelling is awful and his grammar could use help.

since you chose to ignore what i was saying in my reply to your post, perhaps it would be time for you to take a reading class to help you actually absorb what was said and perhaps adress the content.

"Was Anakin's "I wish I could just wish my feelings away" an homage to Wood's "Visits? That would indicate visitors." remember when you poted that?

9. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "As Good As It Gets is not the fifth film released as part of a saga of As Good As It Gets films."
    Who said it was? Irrelevant.

since you seem to need it explained to you more clearly, i am saying that your As Good As It Gets analogy has nothing to do with this site, since As Good As It Gets is not one of a series of films like the films being discussed on this board. nor is it part of a saga of films like the saga being discussed on this board.

if anything was irrelevant, it was your analogy.

10. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    thanks for the spelling and punctuation lesson. it has nothing to do with the content of my post.

What content? You hate AOTC. Fine by me. Why are you on the AOTC message board in the middle of the night?

i have a friend who has won several emmys for writing. his spelling is awful and his grammar could use help.

Really? What's his name? Here's the link to the most recent Emmy Awards: link. It shows only 2 Emmy categories for writing: "Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series" and "Outstanding Writing For A Comedy Series." You said your friend won "several" of these awards, so it should be a fairly simple matter to confirm or deny this.

since you chose to ignore what i was saying in my reply to your post, perhaps it would be time for you to take a reading class to help you actually absorb what was said and perhaps adress the content.

Let me see if I can be of some help here. On my keyboard, the left-handed shift key is below the "Caps Lock" and to the left of the "Z" key. The right-handed shift key is below the "Enter" key and to the right of the "/?" key. I hope I did a better job of addressing the content this time.

11. monkeynugget

monkeynugget Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2002
    rsterling78,

I saw AOTC and enjoyed it greatly. I do not feel, however, that it was the greatest movie of all time, that it was even a "great" movie, or that it needs to be defended 'til I'm blue in the face. You may feel otherwise...

...and that's where the problem lies-- you are allowed to feel however you wish about this film, and so should anyone else who wishes to do so. If Dr Evazan desires to post on a thread that was crafted (rather well, I might add) as a humorous look at the film and add to the banter, he should be allowed to do so.

I thought, like a few others did, that you were making a gentle stab at AOTC. That was pure comedy BTW! ;)

It appears that this thread has turned into a :)[face_sigh]:) basher/gusher discussion that is nowhere near necessary. The thread was pretty fun until folks with thin skin took offense to jokes made about the movie.

12. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    "It appears that this thread has turned into a :)[face_sigh]:) basher/gusher discussion that is nowhere near necessary."

I'm forced to agree with you (sighs), except that I'd call it a "basher/fan discussion."

AOTC is by no means a perfect film, but I think it's good enough to stand up to a parody like this thread.

There are plenty of threads around here about the flaws in the film. I've started a couple of them. The problem is people who seem to despise the film utterly, yet, for some reason, feel compelled to point out that they despise the film utterly over and over again.

Could Tor Johnson be Sifo-Dyas?

13. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "Really? What's his name? Here's the link to the most recent Emmy Awards: link. It shows only 2 Emmy categories for writing: "Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series" and "Outstanding Writing For A Comedy Series." You said your friend won "several" of these awards, so it should be a fairly simple matter to confirm or deny this."

my god, he has won them over the course of years ok? i was making an example. its not like i have to reveal his identity to prove that it happened. he won them for comedy writing... does that help?

i dont know if you are aware of this but there is a thing called spell check that comes in very handy when its important to have everything spelled and punctuated correctly. also there are the writers assistants and script supervisors that take care of the spelling so the writers can worry about wether or not their jokes are funny and if the story makes sense and not have to worry about spelling.

14. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    [image=http://www.retrocrush.com/monsters/tor1.jpg] [image=http://64.227.26.45/Grilled-Sarlacc/c/clones/54_beacon_curve.jpg]

They're using a Swedish wrestler named Tor Johnson to create a clone army!

15. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    i wish! then GL could add a stormtrooper that stumbles out of a grave next to the one who bangs his head on the door. i cant wait for the Extra Special Editions!

also they would all have that sexy swedish accent!

lewkk sirr, drroidsa!

16. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    Hey, Dr. E, I've been meaning to ask you something. Isn't that Jed Porkins you have as your icon? Wait a minute! That's a fake beard! Come here, you (struggles with Dr. E). Give me that helmet, too.

[image=http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/08/02/ebert.interview.idg/ebert.jpg]

GOOD LORD!

17. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    i just checked that emmy link and was reminded one of my friends (paul) was nominated and my other friend alex is the one who won.

but neither of them are poor spellers as far as i know. i wasnt talking about them.

now ill get attacked again for bringing up the fact that i might possibly know REAL TV AND FILM WRITERS! WOOO! i might even be one myself!

dont tell anyone but i also know the guys who wrote ed wood, which is finally coming out on DVD next month!

i love that movie, but it seems alot of people dont.

"Pull the strings! Pull the strings!"

18. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    poor porkins. he never had a chance.

19. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    "Take a can of your gasoline. Say this can of gasoline is the Sun. Now you spread a thin line of it to a ball representing the Earth. Now the gasoline respresents the sunlight, the sun particles. Here we saturate the ball with the gasoline ? the sunlight ? then we put a flame to the ball. The flame will speedily travel around the Earth, back along the line of gasoline to the can, or the sun itself. It will explode this source and spread to every place that gasoline, our sunlight, touches. Explode the sunlight here, gentlemen, you explode the universe".

-Eros, P9FOS, "explaining" why humanity cannot allowed to develop the deadly solaronite bomb

20. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    hahaha! that line is an anti-masterpiece!

21. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    Here's a link to the entire script (well, transcript) of P9FOS for your perusal.

Plan 9 transcript

Enjoy.

22. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    "You can't really blame DrEvazan for not remembering an unmemorable line. It's not worth remembering!"

Uh-huh. Which is why critics and bashers go on about that line ruining the entire film but can't remember what the line actually was. Don't you guys ever get tired of being wrong? :p

As for Plan 9, it's the best anti-nuke sci-fi film ever made. And as Criswell says:

"CAN YOU PROVE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN?"

23. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    "Better" is such a vague word... this thread should be retitled "Was AOTC More Entertaining than Plan 9 from Outer Space"?

One major difference between Plan 9 and AOTC is that Plan 9 is not obviously so self-aware of itself as a movie. AOTC is so self-referential and brimming with cameos, homages, and inside jokes that... ahh, you know where this is going.

24. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    god, I really dislike those posts "if you don't like AOTC then why are you here?" They remind me of those guys in the Eighties that would tell you "Why do you criticise the government? If you don't like it then go to Russia!".
    Basically they're the death of any intelligent discussion

The most basic principle of discussion is that you discuss what's worth discussing. According to those people verybody should only discuss things they love. Discussing something you dislike is forbidden.
    So no point then in discussing the September 11th attacks. I didn't like those attacks so I'm not allowed to talk about it. Good night intelligence.

So how can somebody be a Star Wars fan if they dislike AOTC or TPM? Well, if you're a fan of the Chicago Bulls and they lose 5 games in a row and you absolutely dislike the way they currently play does that mean you're not a fan anymore? If you're a fan of Buffy but you don't like the last episode screened does that mean you're no longer a fan?

Do some of you want a SW message board that goes like this
    "I really love AOTC"
    "Me too"
    "same here"
    "I love it all"
    "OK, so we all love it"
    "Yep"
    "Good"
    "Great"
    "Super"
    "It's really great to have a good discussion, isn't it?"
    "Yep"
    "Yeah"

25. rsterling78

May 26, 2002
    god, I really dislike those posts "if you don't like AOTC then why are you here?" They remind me of those guys in the Eighties that would tell you "Why do you criticise the government? If you don't like it then go to Russia!".

Yes, and that was a very good point in the 1980s. Don't like America? Leave. See how easy that is? Same thing applies to AOTC. Once again, please keep in mind that common sense is public domain. Everybody can use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.