Was AOTC Better Than Plan 9 From Outer Space?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by rsterling78, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tukafo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    sorry, but you're (thankfully) in no position to tell other users to leave this board. Especially when they tend to discuss issues in an intelligent manner
  2. Sithchilde Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Tukafo posted the following totally off topic point:

"god, I really dislike those posts "if you don't like AOTC then why are you here?" They remind me of those guys in the Eighties that would tell you "Why do you criticise the government? If you don't like it then go to Russia!".

To which rsterling replied:

"Yes, and that was a very good point in the 1980s."

rsterling, I have to ask, is that a quote from Plan 9?? I mean, you can't seriously be suggesting that people who criticised the American government in the 1980's should have moved to Russia instead??

I mean, seriously, that was like, a typing error or something, right?

I don't want to drag this thread any more off topic than it is, but that's just...scary.
  3. Luminara_Undo-me Jedi Youngling

No.

planninefromouterspaceisthebestmovieofalltime
  4. darth_pooh Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I love Tukfao:

god, I really dislike those posts "if you don't like AOTC then why are you here?" They remind me of those guys in the Eighties that would tell you "Why do you criticise the government? If you don't like it then go to Russia!".

That was awesome!!!!! The amount of times people said that to me in the 80's...I f&^#ing hated those people! No, I didn't want to live in Russia and obviously don't now!

If ever I complained of our governement (back then), I was expressing my god given right to complain under our Constitution. AND that is important because our God Given Right to Complain is what makes this country great...makes "active" people contact their Senators and Representatives and want to make change for the better here!

Thomas Jefferson said that the tree of liberty is fed by the blood of tyrants and that our Constitution ought to be rewritten every generation or so to bring it up to date...should he live in Russia? He probably would have gotten along with Tolstoy! :D

We live in a Republic, not a "pure Democracy" (where we would directly vote on the laws ourselves). That means that we have to complain to our Rep's!

Perhaps Alexander Hamilton was right. People are a "great backed beast" (like a Leviathan of Revellations), they only want to be ruled by a tyrant, so why not take all their power away! SHeesh.

rsterling...I'm surprised.

I think you view complainers all wrong. Some people complain because they have such a stake in the franchise, so much respect for its original message, that they want to have the good parts of it back! The magic, the visions, etc...Then they wonder if some other people could be woken up to see it that way! WHy not? Why don't some people wake up and see that this movie had pretty serious flaws? I honestly don't know what GL is doing anymore...I don't understand where he's going with this (Anakins' Death, I know), and although I love Star Wars...I don't respect GL's recent "creative touches"!

Yes, the OT was terrible too. But that didn't stop me from watching ESB 27 times!

Perhaps I am not open minded enough to see that GL has a "new vision." Fine. I just can't understand how his visions and my vision could differ. That's not because I'm arrogant, that's because watching the OT made me feel that he understood exactly what was magic to me!!!! I don't know if I fell in love with the right person. Get it?

This site draws complainers because all of us who grew up with the saga have it as our subconscious memory. Like a parent we can't exorcise from our memory. SW forms some weird understanding of the world in my subconscious. ANH is the first movie I can remember seeing ever! at the age of 4! As with a parent, the older I get, the more I can't believe how ridiculous my "parent" really is! How his behavior is atrocious.

Back on point:
    Plan 9 was great because Wood couldn't control his "inconsistency." He was crazy and his movies reflect that from scene to shining scene. People think Lucas shares elements of "camp" with Wood. Wrong. Lucas has gotten old and started to do "timed jokes" like Jay Leno. But his timing is off! His inconsistency is under control. He doesn't let his hand run free with the pen and he's hemmed into a very, very, serious story! It's this "franchise" that cannot help but take itself to seriously that I feel sorry for.

:p
  5. rsterling78 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Thanks for setting me straight, folks. I've been doing everything all wrong!

I recently quit a job I didn't like and moved away from an area of the country I didn't care for. What was I thinking? I'm going to close down the successful business I've started in the wonderful area I now live and move back to that rathole I was in for some "intelligent debate." After all, it's my constitutional right to make bad decisions, isn't it?

I also think I'll find a movie I don't like and watch it a few times so as to be able to quote whole sections of dialog verbatim. Then I'll find a message board for said movie and see how the fans react to my insightful posts about how I was vomiting in my popcorn bucket during the whole cinematic nightmare.

Thanks for helping me escape my self-imposed prison of logic and reason. The burden of common sense has been lifted off my shoulders.
  6. Tukafo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Rod Sterling, let me give you a little analogy

You obviosuly don't like this thread. Then why do you keep coming back to it? Why do you keep discussing this? Your common sense should tell you that you should only visit threads you totally agree with 100%. So why don't you do it?

You come back here to this thread you don't like for exaclty the same reason some of us that didn't like AOTC are coming back to discuss the film

7. darth_pooh Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "After all, it's my constitutional right to make bad decisions, isn't it?"

Be I never said Constitutional Right to make bad decisions.

OF course rationality and desire ought to be part of our decisions.

It's a false analogy to say: Going on a website to "struggle" is similar to going to a part of the country you don't like...

Better analogy...going back to a neighborhood that you grew up in that you loved. Finding that neighborhood to be unpleasant. Nevertheless finding some people who actually still love the neighborhood anyway as it now is. Then, asking them questions about why they like it so much when you think it has changed for the worse! That's more akin to SW lovers/critics!
  8. Sithchilde Jedi Youngling

star 1
    rsterling said:

"Thanks for setting me straight, folks. I've been doing everything all wrong!"

there then followed a whole load of stuff nobody mentioned before, before he ends with:

"Thanks for helping me escape my self-imposed prison of logic and reason. The burden of common sense has been lifted off my shoulders"

rsterling, did you actually read what you wrote before you posted it? Did you read the replies? When Tukafo

"god, I really dislike those posts "if you don't like AOTC then why are you here?" They remind me of those guys in the Eighties that would tell you "Why do you criticise the government? If you don't like it then go to Russia!".

YOU replied:

"Yes, and that was a very good point in the 1980s."

NOBODY said ANYTHING about your job. Nobody said anything about "setting you straight" What I and others objected to was your endorsement of the idea that people who criticsed the American government of the 1980's should have left America!

So, whilst you may feel you sarcastic reply has addressed something, it most certainly didn't address the questions I and others raised.

9. Only_2 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Tuff-guy or Tuffako or tuffyucko

rsterling78 started this thread, as a humorous idea.

that's why he's still here, to try and point out the humor in your fruitless argument.

It is everyone's right to air their opinion of AOTC regardless of how skewed it is for good or bad. but...

This is a humor thread, and humorless posts ruin threads that start out funny. I would like to thank you for killing what little humor value this thread had.

I don't care if you hated AOTC, in this thread people are making fun of Plan 9 and AOTC, your serious opinion on AOTC has proven to be far clunkier than the dialog of either movie.

Dr. Evazan. I don't want to argue with you, really. You seem to have a good sense of humor about you, even if you disliked TPM and AOTC. but...

Do the rest of us a favor, stop telling everyone that you are a writer. We don't care what you do for a living. And since you've brought it up a number of times, I get the feeling you think it brings some higher level of validity to your posts. In, fact I feel the opposite when I see that posted. I see a higher level of bias and pretension in even mentioning it.
  10. rsterling78 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Why do I keep coming back to this thread? I created it, chief! I hoped it would be a lighthearted comparison of AOTC and uber-shlock film Plan 9 From Outer Space. Then some bashers came along and stirred up trouble. One or two actually thought I was being serious about comparing the films!

Now we've got folks bringing in Reagan-era America and their constitutional right to remain in a country even if they don't like it to the thread.

Oh, God, why did I create this monstrous thread? It was supposed to be a thing of beauty, not this abomination!

(collapses to floor)

EDIT: I've PM'ed the AOTC forum moderator and asked him to lock this thread.

11. Tukafo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Only 2, I don't reply to insulting posts. I'm too old to waste my time with that drivel

RSterling, I realize you started this thread. That was not what I meant when I said "Why do you keep coming back to it?". What I meant was "why do you keep coming back to this discussion (meaning the gusher/basher discussion which this thread has become) ?" I mean, you could change the subject or simply ignore the posts. Yet you keep coming back. And before you reply let me tell you that I think it is a good thing that you're coming back as this is the whole point of a discussion.

As for a note in your last post about people not liking this country - please ever make this mistake that every right-wing politician seems to make: Just because you criticise something does NOT mean you dislike it. I can love my country dearly but still complain that not enough money is being spent on hospitals.
  12. rsterling78 Jedi Knight

star 5
    "please ever make this mistake that every right-wing politician..."

I assume you meant "never" which means the opposite of "ever."

Give it a rest, folks. This thread is over.
  13. Tukafo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    OK, Rsterling, you're right. If we now need to discuss typos and dissect those then we're really finished with this thread.

It was fun though
  14. Only_2 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Only 2, I don't reply to insulting posts. I'm too old to waste my time with that drivel

yet you seem to have no problem in questioning other people's motives, incorrectly, I might add. Is that any less drivel?

This was a humor thread. It isn't now. thanks.
  15. Tukafo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Only 2, that's life. Discussions and conversations evolve in different directions depending on who's discussing and what's on their mind. If people wanted this to remain a humour thread it would have stayed one

Never started a conversation with your friends in the pub about the weather and you ended up talking about politics?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.