main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Bail Organa a Wasted Opportunity in the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by lovelikewinter, May 12, 2015.

1. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Bail Organa is an interesting character. In Star Wars, we are introduced to him as Leia's father and are told of his connection to Obi-Wan, as General Kenobi served him in the Clone Wars. Bail needed his expertise to help him against the Empire and the Death Star. All very cool.

But Kenobi never served Organa. I don't think he was ever even shown on Alderaan. In AOTC, Bail has a few lines and just stands around during the political scenes. He doesn't get anything to do until halfway through ROTS, when he takes the Blockade Runner out to round up Jedi. Again, great but it comes across as too little, too late. Like the only reason he is there is because he needs to take Leia. His real meaty scenes in the film were deleted.

My question is: should Bail Organa and by extension Alderaan been a bigger part of the story? Obi-Wan does allow him to take Leia, which makes little sense if they aren't friends. Obi-Wan even said he does not trust politicians. I think having him a bigger part of the action, maybe with Obi-Wan as a leader in the Clone Wars instead of just talking a bunch would have been better.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think Jimmy's Bail was wasted, merely severely undercut and under used rather like Garrick's Biggs' in TSW. I do think Bail and Alderaan should've been shown more so people actually empathise with Alderaan in TSW (unlike Leia).

Though I don't think 'action' is the only manner of inclusion of merit.

3. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Well, certainly an underused character. He should have been seen a lot more IMO. We do get to see more of him TCW, and in maybe more in Rebels. Heck, Jimmy could,even get to,return to the screen in Rogue One... An ideal movie to show Bail as a Rebel leader.

4. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014

I consider action to be moving the plot along or being part of the plot, which he really wasn't until the Temple scene.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    For you perhaps.

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah he's a bit underused. Which is why his deleted ROTS scenes need to be put back in. Also like Padme, I'm hoping the character will get his own novel one day.

I do like the idea of Jimmy Smit being in Rogue One and he is around the perfect age.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He should have been used a bit more TPM and AOTC. The Rebellion scenes also need to be back in ROTS.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Was Alderaan underused? I'm going to say no. We do in fact see Bail on Alderaan at the end of ROTS. Meanwhile, it's not necessarily a major part of the Saga.

Bail Organa is another story. There was a bit of a false start with The Phantom Menace, Adrian Dunbar's introduction to the character would have sufficed, but we had to wait until Attack of the Clones to get a glimpse of the character. Though I do like the character's implementation in Revenge of the Sith. While the movies have little opportunity to show Obi-Wan "serving under him in the Clone Wars," I think a more sizable presence in Attack of the Clones would have done a lot.

9. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    You easily have replaced the role of Queen Amidala of Naboo with King Organa of Alderran with Padme being the senator from there instead. That's how it is in the original notes.

Obi-Wan serves King Organa during the Trade Federation invasion of his planet, prevents an assassination during the Clone Wars, and prevents multiple attempts at invasion during the wars too.

10. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    This. No clue why those scenes were removed.

11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Whenever the term 'underused character' comes up around here, Bail is the first one that comes to mind for me. I really enjoyed his limited performance in the PT and would've liked to have seen more of him. He was a strong human character who wasn't a Jedi / Sith and / or a member of the Skywalker family and I think as such added some good diversity to the films.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Because it took focus away from the story of the fall of Anakin or something. That's why they did away with Yoda arriving on Dagobah. Took away from the Skywalker family ending.

It really did.

Darkslayer and DarthSheev like this.
  13. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Bail could have been the Lando Calrissian of the PT. A charismatic senator who is able to get people on his side and works the political game for a noble cause, and is friends with Padme, but catches on to Palpatine's evil schemes and is able to still maintain his cover as a pro-Republic/Empire Senator because he's just that smooth. Someone for Han to remind Leia of her father after he's killed.

But, like most things in the PT, the basics are there, the bare minimum, but Bail Organa is essentially walking plot. They cast the right person for it, but he just comes off like a political robot rather than a real flesh and blood character. Definitely a wasted opportunity.

I don't think that Alderaan had to be Naboo, but I would have liked to see more of it. I can see why it wasn't used as much, though.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  14. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I thought he was wasted in AOTC, but not in ROTS.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    -shrugs-

He's a character from a different prequel trilogy, from earlier ideas/drafts, earlier conceptions.

I really dig Smits in the role, I think he adds a lot in a short period of time, but the Bail Organa that General Kenobi served under is just a different character from a different story. You could say the prequels were a wasted opportunity, based on that other story that people imagined after seeing the OT.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Sure, they could have explored Bail Organa in a more extensive way, but I don't see this as a missed opportunity. We can't make each character a main character and give them 80% of screentime, it's impossible. There have to be some priorities. The whole idea of Bail having or even needing a more prominent role is based on backwards argumentation because most of the people saw Episode IV first and people went on speculating about his past for decades, when - in reality - Bail was never much more than a throwaway character to establish a whatever-connection between Ben Kenobi and Leia. Obi-Wan serving him and the other Senators and the Republic during the Clone Wars is enough background to justify his mention in ANH.

He's a regular member of the Senate and it works fine like this, a seemingly unsignificant side character who moves up to a position of fame in one movie for only a short period of time because he helps saving a few of the last Jedi (Obi-Wan and Yoda). He doesn't have to be any more prominent and more connected with the other characters than this. The galaxy isn't a village after all, right? ;)

If I had to choose a characer I could give more screentime to, it'd be Dooku.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because movies have a limited running time and the focus on Anakin's story was more important for Lucas. He explains why he cut each of the deleted scenes in the DVDs.

Exactly. It's basic common sense.

oierem likes this.
  18. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I see this thread as just another attempt at lovelikewinter to PT bash (troll) in a more covert way.

Just as Samnz already pointed out, not every character can be a main character, and the PT wasn't a story about Bail Organa of Alderaan.

As far as Obi Wan serving Leia's father in the clone wars, Obi Wan did. The Jedi served the Senate, thus the Senators. Organa being a Senator, Obi Wan served him during the clone wars.

It may not be what people envisioned back in 1977 and the years after, and I bet Lucas changed it from even what he at one time meant it to be. However, the line from ANH still fits in with what we see in the PT.

Eternal_Jedi and L110 like this.
  19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Discussing perceptions that may not be favourable is not always trolling. Some want to act like PT or OT is without flaw, fine. But others simply discussing what they think may have been done better isn't bad, either.

20. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Once again Cushing's please save it for someone else. I don't need you acting like my moral authority on any subject.

This guy has a long history of starting trouble with PT bashing on these boards. He has been warned numerous times, over and over. My skepticism of his starting this thread is not without rhyme or reason. Our posts do not just live in a vacuum within each thread.

21. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014
    The Rebellion scenes aren't even that long either: less than 5 min for all of them and the film was shorter than AOTC. It would also have the benefit of giving Padme something to do besides give birth and die.

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That seems a bit simplistic, Winter but I do agree Padme being in those scenes and them being fully included may have helped not only her character but the flow of the film.

Vorax likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Would have been a nice set up for the Rebellion in the OT.

Vorax and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    There's only so much time for side characters given how much story there was to tell.

Eternal_Jedi, Chrisf001 and mikeximus like this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The beginning of the Rebellion sounds pretty important imo.