main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was bringing back Maul a good idea?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CaptainRex115, Mar 16, 2013.

?

Was brining back Maul a good idea

1. Yes!

40.7%
  2. Nah

38.4%
  3. Not sure

20.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm not sure yet since Maul's story arc in TCW is not over yet (IMO). I'd like to see how it ends in these final episodes before I cast my vote. TCW practically has to do something like with this before wrapping up its chapter. So far I think Maul's return which was a lame idea on the surface has turned out fantastic. TCW desperately needed an effective, clearly motivated and scary villain on screen who could give the heroes trouble. It desperately needed to give a hero (Obi-wan) an arch rival. Maul provided this which up the stakes when he teamed up with TCW's other motivated villains the Death Watch and produced one of TCW's most outstanding arcs to date.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Which should not happen, in CW he rarely go by himself but when he shows his power it's just dreadful, both AV and GG got owned quickly. That's why people could accept Maul's return, because other villain are not threatening enough.

Amazing lines.

He is a jedi killer, why can't he take on so many together? He got his fan style so it's his advantage when taking on multiple opponents.

Dooku beat him in the lesson, and Windu simply Force Crushed his chest in the end.

That's the problem, Maul should not just be Obi Wan's rival and let everyone else step away. We already saw Obi Wan encountered in TPM.

3. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Maul is an awesome arc nemesis for Obi-wan. Every good hero in a cartoon show or comic book has one.

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, let Anakin or Dooku encounter him ,too, would be better because it never happened before. Maul is not just connected to Obi Wan.

5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I was excited about the idea of Maul coming back but also unsure if it was a good idea or not. I was pleasantly surprised though! The TCW Maul was at his best in the Mandalore arc though, three of my favorite episodes of TCW. Although....
    I'd be ecstatically happy to have this story be the conclusion to the Maul storyline!

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    In the TCW arc, Obi Wan

1)Got owned by Maul brothers, require Ventress' help to get away.
    2)Cut off Savage's hand but got Force Pushed by Maul, was in danger before Hondo came.
    3)Got owned badly by Maul's Forces and got Satine killed.

Clearly he could not handle Maul by himself, why TCW keep Anakin(possibly Dooku) aside? Stupid?

7. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    First and foremost, Grievous needs to be threatening as a commander. A strategist and tactician par excellence who outwits and bests the Republic time and again. As a warrior, I'm fine with him overwhelming clone troops and, on a good day, a Jedi Knight. Maybe even a Master, once in a while. But in a head-to-head fight, without the Force, he should be annihilated with impunity by someone like Yoda or Mace. There comes a time when the Force is simply insurmountable in a "fair fight" against one person who doesn't share it... or a nuke. No doubt TCW has failed him, but mostly as a commander.

Comparing Jango's performance against Trebor is silly; Trebor was clearly focused on Dooku and was caught off guard by Fett. Earlier in the film, we saw Jango flee from Obi-Wan, despite Obi-Wan's orders to bring Fett back alive and Jango using every weapon in the world plus a starship to even the odds. Against a Jedi Master not screwing around? Fett's mincemeat.

KenobiSkywalker and Valairy Scot like this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Sadly it's not what he is in CW and other EU, he is a Jedi killer, who chopped down 4 Jedi who were trusted by Shaak Tii. Even able to fight Mace Windu for quite a few rounds, nearly figured out his Vaapad style in LoE.

Sure he does not have the Force, but he has

Super agility

Super computer chip in his mind, which could let him move very fast, calculate enemy's moves and give counterattack, even something like Vaapad and manage to control 4 lightsabers.

4 arms with lightsabers.

Strong legs which could use as weapons.

Trebor did turn around to block the shots and did block the first one Jango Fett shot at him, but failed to do the later ones, which was not a surprise anymore.

9. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    All prior to ROTS and TCW, higher canon material, where Grievous is a mild challenge at best for Obi-Wan Kenobi. Mace would, and rightly so, eat him alive.

So do Jedi. It's a recurring theme that mere tech alone is no match for the Force; Grievous butchering less talented and experienced Jedi is all fine and good, but the higher ups throw Senate platforms like tennis balls. Without the element of surprise, Grievous should be nothing but a flying projectile to the real badasses, to be tossed to and fro for their own amusement.

None of which helped him against Obi-Wan. And I'm not sure how moving fast and calculating moves will protect you from being Force gripped and twisted into scrap metal.

Lightsaber fights aren't arithmetic.

So do all droids by virtue of being made of metal. Doesn't stop the Jedi from cutting through their ranks like a knife through warm butter.

Pure reflex and instinct. As I already explained to you, Obi-Wan had Fett running for the hills... despite the blasters, jetpack, missile launcher, wire, and starship. Imagine if Obi-Wan was fighting to kill. Force users aren't infallible, but on average, they'll eviscerate any mundane enemy in single combat.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, actually in RotS novel Mace Windu talked about the fight in LoE and admitted GG could respond his Vaapad with a single exchange, also could attack with all forms. He also said

He could run faster than those missiles the clones shot, few Jedi could do it.
    The rest are just your guess, he clearly showed he could dodge Force Push.
    4 does give people advantage, especially when against multiple opponents .

Those Droids does not have the strength GG's legs have, which could grab Jedi and throw them high.

He was no no longer in surprise after the 1st shot, Obi Wan is Obi Wan, different individuals.

That's against ordinary people, but not something like GG.

11. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Not going to bother sorting through the jumbled quote mess. Suffice it to say that Mace defeated Darth Sidious; General Grievous would prove no more of a challenge than an unplugged toaster. You're taking the microseries as the gospel even though (a) it's outranked by both TCW and the films and (b) it wildly exaggerated the prowess of its characters. Which is why, both times Grievous was confronted by someone like Dooku and Mace, he was disarmed or had his chest crushed. He's fodder for the big boys, sorry.

12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Remember this thread is about Darth Maul. But I would say Grievous is the strongest character, but not the most skilled with a lightsaber. If there was a fight with no weapons or the force, Grievous could beat pretty much everyone, but when weapons and the force are involved, he has a much better chance of losing, and yes, Mace Windu would own him.

And about that Jango Fett and Coleman Trebor scene, Trebor didn't expect shots to start being fired at him, so it was the element of surprise that made Jango defeat him, if it had been a proper fight, Trebor would have owned him considering he was a Jedi Master on the Jedi Council.

KenobiSkywalker and Sable_Hart like this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Nobody said he was stronger than Windu, but he also gave him a short fight in LoE and he owned many other Jedi Masters, such as Mundi, Shaak Tii and Adi.

No Trebor noticed the shots, turned around and blocked the first 2 but could not block more and got killed. Mundi also used Force Push to ambush GG but he got away with it.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I can see why bringing back Maul was possible. Sith can come back to the living but I do not like Maul coming back to life during the Clone Wars. Cheapens Obi-Wan's victory over him in TPM.
    If he somehow survived onscreen in TPM and was seen in AOTC and ROTS I would not mind that but TPM ended what 11 years before he showed up again? No, just no.
    Come up with someone new!

Valairy Scot likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Last year TPM 3D was released, so I guess that's why they brought Maul back.

It would be cool if Savage tried to be his brother, disguise as his brother.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    When I first heard that Maul was back, i was like WTF WHY?????????? Then saw the episodes he was in and I thought, he is now officially awesome!!

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    TPM still premiered back in 99. Too much stuff has happened since then for me to see that one happening.
    Savage as Maul? That could work.

18. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    I voted no, mostly because his reappearance made Savage redundant. They built up Savage as this Jedi destroyer who was a friggin' Mack Truck with a lightsaber and then Maul comes back and Savage gets demoted to just following around Maul and asking, "What do we do now, brother?" every five minutes.

It just felt like they created Savage, didn't know what to do with him, brought back Maul and didn't know what to do with him either. Just pair them together! That'll fix things!

If anything, Maul was a decent nemesis for Obi-Wan, but I thought Grievous fit that role pretty well both in RotS and TCW. I thought it was cool that Anakin had Dooku and Obi-Wan had Grievous.

19. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    This show got exponentially better and more enjoyable when Maul came back. Suspect his story will be finished in the upcoming bonus arcs.

Maul and Obi-Wan's dynamic was amazing, probably one of the better parts of the series. The dialogue between the two was well done, and so was the story.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I agree with KED12345. Show needed another villain to mix it up. Should have been a total OC but we got Maul. **** happens then you die (unless your Maul). He was an improvement.

22. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    Not really man. this is a clone wars forum. who goes onto a forum about a show they hate just to post bad about it. Seems like trolling to me. When I dont like something, i just dont watch it... i certainly dont watch it and go online to "complain" about it.

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Coming into the TV section just to hate is like going onto a Nickelback forum to hate on that band and to tell folks Chad Kroger should throw himself off a cliff. That's genuine trolling and that isn't really what goes on here. Fortunately most of the folks who make negative comments here don't just hate, they contribute to meaningful conversation. All opinions are welcome. I've hung out on quite a few fandom based forums like this one. There are always people who tend to heavily criticize the shows on all of them. Hell, one of my haunts is the Awesome-O forum for South Park and there is a dude on that forum who continuous complains South Park has sucked since the 6th season. That would have been back in like 01 and the dude still watches the show and hates every single episode. And that is freaking South Park we are talking about. I personally wouldn't waste time in my life watching something I didn't enjoy, life is to short for that but that's not my decision to make for other. People are free to post what they want.

Now lets keep this thread on the topic of 'Was bringing back Maul a good idea?' not people who don't think the show is all sunshine a lollipops should get out of my pool while giving the so called gushers' the finger on the way out. Those labels sucks.

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    While I think they did a good job once they brought him back, I cast a "Nah" vote because it would have been better for them to deepen existing villainous characters or,better yet, create a new nemesis instead of falling back on fan service.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    This one would be perfect.

[​IMG]

A'den Skirata and TrandoJedi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.