main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was bringing back Maul a good idea?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CaptainRex115, Mar 16, 2013.

?

Was brining back Maul a good idea

1. Yes!

40.7%
  2. Nah

38.4%
  3. Not sure

20.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I agree he and Mara were overused by Zahn later, but if we just look at the trilogy he's a very cool character.

As a fanfic writer myself, I understand most of the writers favor some characters.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's natural, but a good writer should be able to hide from the audience which character he or she favors. If he or she can't do so, I lose interest in the work very quickly.

3. CaptainRex115

CaptainRex115 Jedi Padawan star 3

Jan 11, 2013
    IMO all the post ROTJ EU was the worst. The clone wars EU, dark times EU, pre-TPM and post TPM EU was all pretty solid. But the post ROTJ EU was soo unbearable to me. I dislike Mara Jade as well and all the dumb skywalker kids lol... At least disney is not following that EU...

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Some post RotJ stuff are cool as individual works, but yes, if we look at the post RotJ EU as a whole, it's just major threat after major threat, the authors just throw in everything they could think of to let the big 3 fight.

5. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    [​IMG]

The idea of a Sidiousless Star Wars should be truly terrifying. This guy redeemed the prequels; proof enough that he's the quintessential villain. Palpatine must return; he must save Star Wars.

6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I love Sidious but bringing him back would just completely ruin the end of ROTJ. Introduce a new villain or don't make a new film.

7. Nickster79

Nickster79 Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2013
    Completely agree. If the EU has taught us anything, it's that there are plenty of great ideas and characters out there (along with the people who create them) to come up with something different.

I'm fine with solid links to the OT, but there's no need to simply rehash it.

8. Graves101

Graves101 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 28, 2013
    Sidious is never coming back again. His soul is permanently banished in the worst part of hell itself.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is more than one way to write a "quintessential villain". Sidious definitely was one but let dead characters lie.

10. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Bringing back someone who got bisected was controversial enough but bringing back someone who got blown up in a place that was itself blown up moments later, in outer space of all places, would be downright stupid.

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I also like Palpatine a lot but NO, no need for him to return, Dark Empire is bad enough already and I hope it get retconned.

Random Comments and 07jonesj like this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Not just that, quite a few EU and the RotS novel said clear about Maul died on Naboo.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    On the whole, I don't think so. It would be an even worse decision if they don’t get to finish off his story (which, by the looks of it, they might not get to do).

Darkskar95 likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Who says Maul can't still die on Naboo? [face_devil]

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  15. TheMandalorian115

TheMandalorian115 Jedi Padawan

Mar 7, 2013
    Not, Maul was a coward in ''The Lawless''

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I assume everyone realises Sidious did come back in the EU? And Lucas loved it (reportedly).

To the OP; yes, I think it was a good idea if only because it gave us a brand new direction for the Clone Wars. Sure, we know where everyone in RotS will be, but it gave us a set of villains who we didn't instantly know would survive the war, and it even tied in neatly to our various TCW characters. The Maul Saga introduced Savage and Talzin, gave Ventress a new lease of life, linked into the new pirates and bounty hunters of the TCW, and even tied up the New Mandalorian Arc in a neat bow. As the Main Plot of the TCW arc, it connects the whole era very well, and was a story we never thought we'd see. So it gets a medal for not being predictable as sin.

17. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    You neglected to mention the arc's greatest facet: watching the Big Bad himself throw down.

Togruta and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I could have swore I read in a few interviews that he hated the idea..

Ani501st likes this.
  19. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Please let the ST have a new big bad.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    He gave it away as a Christmas present to his staff, and billed it to them as 'what he would have done'.

21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I guess that Christmas wasn't like the Bonefish Grill commercials.

22. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Source?

23. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I loved Darth Maul in TPM. Honestly I had expected him to be the physical threat for the entire PT and was disappointed when he died. So, yes, brining Maul back was a solid, well rounded idea. And I was further pleased that his resurrection delivered some of the best stories in the series. Reviving a character shrouded in mystique is quite the gambit, and luckily, it paid off! I was only upset that we were not allowed a proper conclusion to his arc, but that's not the team's fault. It was Disney's choice.

24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    My answer to this question is now definitely "NO"! After what they did with the cancellation of the series, its was a bad idea. Now we have this dude lying around the galaxy when he should be dead. From the indications that we got (which ain't many) that stuff won't get resolved with the extra content. So now what? A comic story to end it? Please don't bring him back for episode 7.

25. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    There are unconfirmed rumors that a Darth Maul movie might be in the works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.