main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Chewie's death done well In Vector Prime?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca of Kashyyyk, May 8, 2001.

?

Was Chewie's death done well In Vector Prime?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2012.
  1. Yes, it was done well.

66.7%
  2. No, it lacked something for me.

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoda_does_dallas

yoda_does_dallas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    Chewie should have died in a big shootout against incredible odds,
    it is about time there was an evil character with good aim

2. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    "An evil charater with good aim" That would sure be nice to see, in not only SW but in ALL fiction. I never could figure out how a big target like Clint Eastwood or Jahn Wayne was so hard to hit.

3. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    I hated the way they did his death I don't think it was bad to let him die but to drop a MOON on him? please they could have let him be slaughterd by Nom Anor thus setting something up as a personal quest for revenge for Han not this death to all YV thing he's going through..

4. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Actually, the moon was dropped on Sernpidal, not on Chewbacca. Chewbacca was there saving lives. Like a firefighter who loses his life saving people from a building set to flame by arsonists, Chewbacca died in a way that's different from perishing while saving lives during a firefight, but no less heroic.

5. Dark_Luke

Dark_Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2001
    I think that Chewie did die well, in a blaze of glory, protecting Anikan. I can't see why he would give his life for that damn kid, but, anyway. It was done well, but the answer is still there.

CHEWBACCA SHOULD NEVER HAVE DIED

6. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Chewbacca of Kashyyyk Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 1999
    This just amazes CoK!! Three pages on this topic again. Just goes to show how droll the NJO has become (Balance Point being a welcome exception).

Maybe in the next book they should kill Han!!!

They can do it by having him swim in the ocean which is 1000 feet deep. Then a dovil Basil can come and instantly suck out all the water. Han will fall to his death and land on spiky coral.

7. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Well, all of the old characters are going to have to go at some point and as I understand it the non-Jedi don't live as long as Jedi. So that might give one a hint as to who may go next. As far as Chewbacca is concerned I think he died in the best manner anyone can, saving lives! Also, I for one have faith that the new authors will make our up and coming heroes as memorable as the ones that have to fade away as the ages pass...

8. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Chewie's death was handled very badly. I mean, when a character like him dies, you should at least have a few tears, or some mourning. But Chewie?s death as so fast that I didn't really have time to grasp it before they moved on to the next action sequence. That really screwed things up. So, in answer it your question, no it wasn't done well. In fact I know people in the Fan Fic section that could have done better.

9. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I think VP did it well, but the DT duology ignored it too much

10. Draco_Starcloud

Draco_Starcloud Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    I don't think Chewie should have died that way, but the way it was written was alright.

Chewie vs. Tosi-Karu!

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Chewie didn't have to be developed.

He was the big Little John type figure to Han Solo's Robin Hood. He was an Archetype of the Sidekick whose strength lies in a big body and a big heart....

The circle is broken and will never be repaired.

As for how I accepted Chewbacca's death there simply is no way around the fact that R.A. Salvator henceforth known in literary circles as "The Dark Elf guy who killed Chewie" couldn't kill Chewie any other way.

I want you to BLANK YOUR MINDS and realize nothing has happened in the NJO past the pages immediately before Vector Prime's grand scene....

* Chewie dies fighting a group of Yzzumng Vong

* Chewie dies taking a blaster bolt for Han

* Chewie dies kamakaze style flying a bomb into the Vong base...

Simply put NOTHING in the above for me works. Chewie seems to be too strong for anything that isn't short of a grand ending like a moon dropping of a duel from Darth Vader etc.

A moon exploding left NO room for doubt Chewie was dead and gave the audience the knowledge there was no way to bring him back.

12. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Chewbacca of Kashyyyk Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 1999
    Moons do not fall like that! They would have had time to vacate the planet way beforehand. It was rediculous and poorly thought out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.