main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

was Darth Maul a padawan in Episode 1

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by master_ghost, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. master_ghost

master_ghost Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Was he a padawan or sith knight in episode one?

2. LordRevan19

LordRevan19 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2005
    I don't think the Sith have Padawan and knight rankings because there is only 2 at a time "Only a master and a apprentice"- Yoda

So he is Sids apprentice in TPM

Good Stuff

3. master_ghost

May 29, 2005
    For a padawan(maul) to kill a master (qui gon) is pretty impressive

4. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    He was an apprentice which is slightly higher than just a padawn.

Sids says "this is my apprentice Darth Maul" if you remember right.

5. master_ghost

May 29, 2005
    Actually I dont remember right cause I havent watched Ep.1 in a while.

6. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    i just watched it last night, so its still fresh.

they were talking about the naboo cruiser and how they can't find it and sids says" this is my apprentice darth maul he will find your lost ship."

7. DarkMauller

DarkMauller Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    darth maul was an aprentice to his master darth sidious. still it is quite impressive that he killed jedi master qui-gonn when a lot of people belive qui-gonn to be the best jedi. that is why darth maul kicks ass

8. Xhedias

Xhedias Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Hes a sith lord, while Sidious is the Dark Lord of the Sith. According to the amount of power, he is in the apprentice stage.

Just like how doku is a Sith lord...but still treated as a apprentice by Sidious, same thing with Vader.

9. MasterRuben86

MasterRuben86 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    Padawan is the Jedi apprentice...never heard the Sith say Padawan, only apprentice.

10. Darth_Spartan

Darth_Spartan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2005
    I think it's fair to say that he was at LEAST equivalent to a Jedi Knight.

Although he might be labeled "apprentice" his skills were equal and better than that of a Jedi Master in lightsaber skills.

His intelligence though could of used some more work....

11. Darth-Whill

Darth-Whill Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Darth Maul was the apprentice of Sideous in the same way that Dooku was the padawan of Yoda. It is a designation of who trained who.

But Darth Maul was a dark lord of the Sith, even though he was not the master.

12. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    I didn't think that the master/apprentice relationship had anything to do with one's ranking as a Jedi. I mean Dooku was Qui-Gon's master, yet he is Sidious' apprentice. And Anakin was a knight before becoming Sidious' apprentice. In fact, I doubt that a Sith Lord would waste their time with somebody as inexperienced as a padawan learner.

13. raged_inferno

raged_inferno Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    one time when sidious was talking to the neimodians, and Maul came in sidious said "This is my APPRENTICE, Darth Maul." that should clear everything up...

14. Voice_of_Grievous

Voice_of_Grievous Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    Because there are so many Jedi and only two sith, they get to be more powerful by default.

15. DrunkenJawas

DrunkenJawas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2003
    Remember that the Sith and Jedi are different in their teachings, therefore they have different ranking systems. First off, there are only two Sith at a time, so if you where to classify them under the Jedi classifications, the learner or apprentice could not be a Sith knight, because once you are a knight, you are no longer under the tutelage of another. A Sith apprentice is always under someone, unless they kill their mentor. So, even though Maul is a Padawan or a learner or whatever, that doesnt mean he is only as powerful as a Jedi apprentice, just because he is under someone, doesnt mean he isnt powerful. I would say that he would be a bit stronger than a Jedi Master.

16. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    Jedi have rankings: Youngling, Student, Padawan, Knight, Master.
    Sith only rank: Apprentice, Master.

Maul was the apprentice. Sidious is the only Sith Master in all 6 movies. All other sith are Apprentices.

17. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    The term "Padawan" doesn't hold any significance to the Sith. You're either the apprentice or your the master. So Maul was obviously an apprentice, probably the equal to a Jedi Knight. A very good Jedi Knight.

18. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine= Sith Master
    Darth Maul= Sith Apprentice (Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus and Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader later).

19. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    A Sith Apprentice is not equal to a Jedi Padawan. Think about it, there are only 2 Sith Lords. The lesser of the two in power is the 'apprentice.' If for some reason Yoda and Mace both became Sith, Mace would be the Sith Apprentice.

Generally I think any Sith Lord is going to be a pretty tough match for any of the very best Jedi. Darth Maul was very tough and basically owned Qui-Gon. As we all know, Obi-Wan is a seriously bad MF. It's just Maul's bad luck that Qui-Gon's apprentice was an uber-jedi coming of age.

Other than Maul, the two Jedi that became Sith were Dooku and Anakin. Both of them were among the absolute elite of the Jedi order and both became apprentices to Sidious. In summary, many Jedi Masters aren't powerful enough to be the Sith Apprentice. I'd most likely compare the Sith Apprentice level to a Jedi Council Master.

20. JediVincent

JediVincent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    Apprentice, Maul was.

21. Panaka_kicked_Padme

Panaka_kicked_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    He was an apprentice to the dark lord. PERIOD!

22. Darth-Whill

Darth-Whill Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Darth Maul is not a padawan, but he was the apprentice. Sidious had a few apprentices over the years. But even the apprentice is considered a Dark Lord of the Sith. In 1977, long before anyone knew what a Sith was, Darth Vader was titled, "the Dark Lord of the Sith".

Yes, a Sith apprentice is much more then a padawan in to a Jedi. There are two dark lords of the Sith, and one of those two is the Master. The other is his apprentice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.