main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Was Dooku ever good?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vialco, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Dooku is said to have been a Jedi Master for many decades, but based on what we see in Darth Plagueis, he seems to have been on the edge of the Dark side for most of his life.

Even before he leaves the Order, he's confiding in Palpatine, and after Qui-Gon dies, he says that he wants to ally with the Sith to tear down the Republic.

At what point did the renowned Jedi Master become so dark?

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He saw the flaw of the republic and could not accept it, he wanted to bring peace and order to the galaxy that's why he joined the Sith.

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There was a battle about a decade before the movies that is said to have disillusioned Dooku.

But I sure do wish Luceno has time to write a Dooku book.

GenAntilles, Rew and fistofan1 like this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think he could make a good pair with Plagueis to rule together.

5. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Yeah a Dooku novel is long overdue. Lord knows that Shadow Hunter did wonders for Darth Maul. That battle with the Mandalorians and the way the Jedi were manipulated by politics was definitely what broke the camel's back, but even then i'm not sure if i'd call him evil. I don't think we have any one point where the character lost it. Hell even being a Sith he was doing to take down what he saw to be a corrupt system, and then fell into the idea of the ends justifying the means.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I really wish that even as a Sith lord in TCW, he'd stop being a cackling goon and have a little bit of that idealist inside him that caused him to become so twisted in the first place. He's pretty much just Palpatine's flunky at this point.

7. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Yeah he was pretty awesome in Attack of the Clones

Order66Survivor likes this.
  8. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I really never placed him on the same level as Palpatine or Vader, in terms of evil.
    It didn't seem he was an out of control power-hungry Sith hellbent on destroying the Jedi. I always viewed his as more of a gray character who didn't really fit the criteria of a Jedi or Sith.

I would love to see a Dooku book though. He has a lot of potential if handled by the right author.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    RoTS (the Stover novel) suggests that Dooku's always been a bit prone to seeing people as "assets" and "threats" but not as persons. Legacy of the Jedi shows Dooku being betrayed by a fellow Padawan- Lorian Nod- who suggests that Dooku is already dangerously self-centred.

10. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    He never came across as cruel. Both Vader and Palpatine came across as cruel in the movies and in the EU. Dooku is interesting. I'm not sure if Lucas actually developed him enough for him to be called evil. He tells Obi-Wan about Sidious and tries to recruit him to "destroy the Sith". That was an odd. In TCW he's none of the contradictions that he is the EU. So I'll go with this. In TCW he's evil. In the movies he's kind of evil, and the jury is still out on the EU.

Order66Survivor and Chewbacca89 like this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Dooku is fully corrupted to the Dark Side by the Clone Wars. The idealist never was involved in the Separatist movement.

Blithe likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Just like Saruman.

13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    All he ever was, anyways...

But hey, at least we have Maul again.:p

Order66Survivor and rumsmuggler like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And somehow the guy who spoke, like, three words in the entire Prequel Trilogy has more personality and discernible motivations than the guy who went evil out of the belief that he was the Chosen One.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think if they did do the book it would reveal Dooku is just a raging egomaniac. The Chosen One belief would just be one of the beliefs we'd find out. Ironically, there's a hilarious bit of serendipity that Dooku seems to have believed he was awesome because he was of noble birth despite the fact the Jedi probably drilled it into him it wasn't important. It never really left him, though.

As a result, he's EXACTLY like Qui Gon's apprentice Xanatos.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Of course noble birth matters. This is the Republic we're talking about, not some Rimkin-based hippie organization. The Jedi are pillars of the establishment.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Whatever the case, poor Dooku grew up entitled and spoiled so he eventually decided the Sith would be his new Jedi Order and galactic nobility.

Then the Emperor betrayed him.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Dooku thought he was the Chosen One?

Order66Survivor and Manisphere like this.
  19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Step one: read Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

Step two: repeat step one.

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Dooku was an elitist douche, but he did train Qui Gon, so he couldn't have been all bad. Komari Vosa was a bad egg, but at least he gave her sabers to Ventress.

21. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Was disillusioned with the Republic and the Jedi.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Qui Gon had some fun notes on Dooku in the Star Wars: Jedi Quest books.

They basically boiled down to, "When I train my apprentice, do the opposite of everything Dooku did."

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    More likely, he was disillusioned by his own reflection.
    ;)

24. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Wasn't it he believed he should be the chosen one.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    IIRC it was more like the Jedi Order should have declared him their chosen one, or something.

thesevegetables likes this.