1. Post spoilers in the official The Force Awakens spoiler thread only, using a spoiler tag! Violators will be banned!

Lit Was Droma the Jar Jar Binks of the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Apr 18, 2013.

1. TheNewEmpire Force Ghost

star 3
    It seems to me, reading the NJO books Heroes Trial part 1&2 that James Luceno was setting the Ryn up to be a replacement sidekick for Han Solo.

Obviously this didn't pan out, long term. But why?
    Is it because the author never intended the Droma to continue on indefinitely?
    Or is it because the fans, still angry at the death of Chewie rejected the concept out of hand?

I personally love the character and was disappointed to see him exit the story. I actually prefered Han and Droma's relationship to that of Han and Chewbacca's.

Just to be clear, I'm not comparing Droma to Jar Jar in terms of annoyance or poor design, just his rejection by the Star Wars community. If indeed that is actually what happened. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

But there seems to be an interesting story behind the story, if you know what I mean...
  2. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 7
    Doubt it. I think it was just that Troy Denning had no interest in the character, so didn't include him in The Joiner King (Dark Nest 1) and other authors followed his lead.
  3. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    I did a lot of research on Droma when I was writing his Wook article a few years back. I think his Behind the scenes section covers the story behind his development and subsequent disappearance pretty well:

The sources are a starwars.com interview and two different podcast interviews. All of Luceno's interviews are fascinating stuff; he's lived quite the life. I started writing his Wook article, too, a while back but ended up abandoning the project.
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. _Catherine_ Chosen One

star 4
  5. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    But does that contradict the EU?
    Point Given likes this.
  6. jedisor Jedi Grand Master

Unfortunately there's no Ryn in Chalmun's cantina to compare him to.
  7. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Nah that's Jae Junn or I wish anyway.
    Droma>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jae Junn.
  8. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Daala is and allways will be the Jar Jar of the EU
  9. Gamiel Chosen One

star 5
    Pleas neighbour, Jar Jar is leagues above Daala
    Grey1 likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309 Chosen One

star 5
  11. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

star 10
    No, Droma wasn't nearly as interesting.
  12. TychoCorde Jedi Master

star 1
    I think it is good that Leia took Chewie's place, but I agree that Droma was a cool character/concept and I loved the Ryn and their gypsy like qualities.

They should have/be used more, the Ryn network towards the end of NJO was a cool subplot that could carry over into other stories. The Ryn could have helped Han and Leia more during the Second Galactic Civil War with getting information shuttled throughout the different systems. But alas as with lots of good EU it gets pushed aside for more Squibs.
  13. The_Forgotten_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I think Droma served his purpose. He helped get Han past Chewies death and reconcile Leia, then moved on to help his own family.
  14. Danzo Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I kinda enjoyed Droma and wouldn't have minded seeing a little more of him, at least up until the Ryn subplot in the Force Heretic series.
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Droma was a great character. I liked them bringing Han and Leia together in the way they did, but I definitely wouldn't have minded Droma sticking around long term.
    GrandMasterKatarn likes this.