main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Was Droma the Jar Jar Binks of the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Apr 18, 2013.

1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    It seems to me, reading the NJO books Heroes Trial part 1&2 that James Luceno was setting the Ryn up to be a replacement sidekick for Han Solo.

Obviously this didn't pan out, long term. But why?
    Is it because the author never intended the Droma to continue on indefinitely?
    Or is it because the fans, still angry at the death of Chewie rejected the concept out of hand?

I personally love the character and was disappointed to see him exit the story. I actually prefered Han and Droma's relationship to that of Han and Chewbacca's.

Just to be clear, I'm not comparing Droma to Jar Jar in terms of annoyance or poor design, just his rejection by the Star Wars community. If indeed that is actually what happened. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

But there seems to be an interesting story behind the story, if you know what I mean...

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Doubt it. I think it was just that Troy Denning had no interest in the character, so didn't include him in The Joiner King (Dark Nest 1) and other authors followed his lead.

3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I did a lot of research on Droma when I was writing his Wook article a few years back. I think his Behind the scenes section covers the story behind his development and subsequent disappearance pretty well:

The sources are a starwars.com interview and two different podcast interviews. All of Luceno's interviews are fascinating stuff; he's lived quite the life. I started writing his Wook article, too, a while back but ended up abandoning the project.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    He's Ryn.

Havac , RC-1991 and Point Given like this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    But does that contradict the EU?

Point Given likes this.
  6. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    Unfortunately there's no Ryn in Chalmun's cantina to compare him to.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Nah that's Jae Junn or I wish anyway.
    Droma>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jae Junn.

8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Daala is and allways will be the Jar Jar of the EU

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Pleas neighbour, Jar Jar is leagues above Daala

Grey1 likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, Droma wasn't nearly as interesting.

12. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    I think it is good that Leia took Chewie's place, but I agree that Droma was a cool character/concept and I loved the Ryn and their gypsy like qualities.

They should have/be used more, the Ryn network towards the end of NJO was a cool subplot that could carry over into other stories. The Ryn could have helped Han and Leia more during the Second Galactic Civil War with getting information shuttled throughout the different systems. But alas as with lots of good EU it gets pushed aside for more Squibs.

13. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I think Droma served his purpose. He helped get Han past Chewies death and reconcile Leia, then moved on to help his own family.

14. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I kinda enjoyed Droma and wouldn't have minded seeing a little more of him, at least up until the Ryn subplot in the Force Heretic series.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Droma was a great character. I liked them bringing Han and Leia together in the way they did, but I definitely wouldn't have minded Droma sticking around long term.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.