main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Ewan McGregor's performance of Obi Wan satisfactory?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Derek4799, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    When you watch the behind the scenes videos that Star Wars has posted about ROTS and AOTC, you see that Ewan worked his tail off to make sure that he fulfilled the character that Alec made in ANH. Ewan was phenomenal in my opinion.

2. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Ewan did a great job as Obi-Wan. To me, his characterization, as well as the Emperor were among the best elements in the Prequels.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, beyond doubt. Ewan made the PT, IMO.

CoolyFett and Valairy Scot like this.
  4. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Even though i'm not a fan of the prequel trilogy, He did a really good job Imo. Along with Ray Park,Christopher Lee, Ian Mcdiarmid, and Liam Neesian.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    In the OT, Obi-Wan is the one character that reminds me of their portrayal in the PT. Yoda and Sidious are in both trilogies as well, but not even they remind me of themselves in the PT the way Obi-Wan does. When I see Alec Guinness in ANH, I think about his history as seen in the PT. And that's a testament to the awesome job Ewan McGregor did in those movies. It's very obvious that he worked hard at the role, mimicking Sir Alec's way of speaking and mannerisms right down to that last scene in ROTS where he delivers Luke to the Lars's.

Garrett Atkins and Iron_lord like this.
  6. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    Ewan Mcgregor is my favorite along side Alec Guinnes. He did a brilliant job as obi wan!!!

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ewan and Ian are the most talented actors, and give the best performances, of anyone in all six films.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    One minor "correction" Ewan, Ian and Alec were the best. Astounding that Alec was able to give these hints of the past when he had no real idea of the past.

Andy Wylde and Darth Dominikkus like this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For me Peter, Ian, Christopher, and Ewan are the most talented actors of the Saga.

10. scooper121s

scooper121s Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2014
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Add me to the list of people wondering why this is even a question.

12. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Derek4799 No, I think he played him well.

13. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    In TPM he does an ok job with the little material he is given.
    He has little to do from a character standpoint. Mostly he is the obidient pupil throughout the film.
    He has one or two disagreements with Qui-Gon but quickly submits.
    Then at the end, he want to train Anakin out of obligation and promise to his dead master.
    Had Qui-Gon died and not made Obi-Wan swear his promise then Obi-Wan choosing to train Anakin would have had more weight. As it is, it is more of Obi-Wan being obidient.
    I think that TPM and by extension, AotC and RotS could have benfitted from a bigger role for Obi-Wan.

In AotC and RotS he is given more to do and he does a pretty good job with it.
    In RotS it seems that he and Hayden worked fairly well together and there was some warmth to their relationship.
    In AotC I did not get this sense. The two characters seemd to hardly be able to stand each other and the two kept snapping at each other.
    I do think that Obi-wan actions at the end of RotS still comes of as horribly cruel and delibarately so and that just rang totally false with how the character otherwise was.

In short, pretty good effort in 2 films, average at best in one.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    That clinches it -- for me.

From a green, bookish, and slightly sarcastic padawan in TPM, to a suave, confident, resolute, and dashing master in ROTS, we really sense the progression and maturation of Obi-Wan through Ewan's carefully cultivated performance.

I can't say I wasn't a little harsh on Ewan back in the day (I remember a couple of those "Chapter By Chapter" threads for ROTS where I was a bit tough on him), but today, his performance across these movies shines. Perhaps I have come to understand prequel-Obi-Wan a bit better and really appreciate the subtle changes between one film and the next.

15. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    Can't fault McGregor he's solid throughout the 3 films although I thought he was disappointingly underused in PM. Out of the 3 leads he seems to handle the at times woeful dialogue the best as well.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think he did a great job in the PT.

17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    of course he did good. He was terrific!

Andy Wylde and CoolyFett like this.
  18. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I thought Ewan McGregor was *spectacular* as Obi Wan Kenobi. I feel he did Alec Guinness's portrayal proud. In fact, Ewan McGregor's performance as Obi Wan was a rare bright spot in the prequels for me. I was quite proud of him (I've been a Ewan fan since 1996), and whatever gripes I have about the prequels, he never comes up in my rants. :)

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Ewan's Obi-Wan is the highlight of the supposed 'light side' of the PT for me.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  20. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Of course he did well! He was especially great in ROTS. Any problems likely came from some of his lines, not his acting.

21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Agreed. Many of my gripes of the PT stem from the story/writing not often the acting.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  22. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Ewan is one of the best actors that the PT had.

23. Kess Banta

Kess Banta Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 23, 2014
    Darth Maul v Obi Wan Kenobi.
    Best saber duel ever.
    Nuff said.

Andy Wylde and CoolyFett like this.
  24. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    Ewan McGregor played the character of Obi-Wan Kenobi as well as anyone could have. I can't even imagine another actor portraying the character as well as he did.

CoolyFett and Darth Dominikkus like this.
  25. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I agree with you sir. Ewan, just like how Hayden is to Anakin, will always be Obi-Wan for me, no substitutes.