main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Greedo's scene added cause no Jabba?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I get the feeling that the Greedo scene was only added to Star Wars cause Lucas couldn't have the Jabba scene. If you have Greedo, then Jabba scene is not really needed. Also with Jabba, the Greedo scene isn't really needed. Some of the same dailog even comes up.

Was Greedo worked in, cause the Jabba scene couldn't be added?

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    no, the greedo scene was in the novel and in the orginal screen play

it was not added

3. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    Also, if you notice in the Scene, Jabb says something along the lines of "Why did you blast my poor Greedo?" in which Han replies "If you wanna see me, come yourself, don't send one of these clowns." ...Something along the lines of that...

4. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    The dialogue in the Greedo scene was changed in post-production when it became clear the Jabba scene couldn't be included in the 1977 version (the stopmotion technology just wasn't possible, the film was already over-budget). The original lines went as follows:

Greedo: Going somewhere, Solo?
    Han: Yes, Greedo. I was just going to see your boss. Tell Jabba I've got his money.
    Greedo: It's too late for that, human.
    Han: But I've really got the money!
    Greedo: If you give it to me, I might forget that I found you.
    Han: I haven't got it WITH me...Tell Jabba --
    Greedo: Jabba would rather have your ship, I think.
    Han: Over my dead body.
    Greedo: That's the idea, human. Will you come outside with me, or must I finish it here?
    Han: I don't think they'd appreciate another killing in here.
    Greedo: They'd hardly notice. Get up. I've been looking forward to this for a long time.
    Han: Yeah, I'll bet you have --

BANG! Han shoots first. ;)

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
  6. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Thanks night, that goes alone with more of what I thought.

7. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    The Greedo scene was always intended to be there, and it's just as well. We're all pretty jaded now, but at the time Star Wars came out, part of the movie's appeal was the Western elements in the story, like the brawl in the bar, the bounty hunter, the price on Han's head, Han's cowboy-like low-slung gun holster.

This, along with the Samurai and WWII flying ace aspects of the movie, made it unique at the time.

Now tons of sci-fi stories have bounty hunters and the like. But at the time it was really different and cool.

8. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    I always wondered what the Original Greedo dialogue was like. I knew the scene was rewritten to include the material in the Jabba scene when it became apparent that Jabba was not doable in ANH,but wondered what the original was like.
    I always regretted that the Greedo bit in TPM was edited out of the theartrical version and consigned to the deleted scenes on the DVD. It was a really clever bit and much better then a lot of the Jar Jar crap that did make the threatrical cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.