main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Grievous a good villain?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Mzukiller, Nov 22, 2013.

1. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I dont think the armies were evenly matched. It seemed there were way more droids than clones.

2. Newan

Newan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2014
    Well yes that's true but they almost always made Republic win when imo the CIS should have had some more key victories here and there.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Numbers don't equal victory in all cases either. There is something to be said of wisdom, intelligence, and experience.

jc1138 and Newan like this.
  4. AllHailSidious

AllHailSidious Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2014
    Hell no.
    He came off as a genuinely badass MoFo in CW.
    In ROTS, though?
    Just filler.
    The best word to describe his role in the movie.
    FILLER

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    If it wasn't for PIS, the CIS would've crushed the Republic. Clones numbered in the millions. IIRC there was a source saying there were trillions of battle droids made. No way should the Republic win, even with Jedi. This is further cemented with the fact that you see clones dying after barely taking out three droids. You can do the math. :)

You can even use logic without EU sources. Let's see here. Millions of clones made, that take a year or two of training.

Battle droids mass produced on multiple planets that don't take forever to train.

Now, if they portrayed clones like in the 2D one, I would've found that more believable because even the clones make the droids look like fodder.

Whatever. Just don't question the logic of this ok. XD
    It's like asking how the UNSC managed to not get stomped by the Covenant. We just have to go with it.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Grievous was always a character that I had a soft spot for. He was my favorite character for awhile as a kid. He's not my favorite anymore as he really doesn't do that much at least in the movies. Like Boba Fett, its in the EU where Grievous shines especially in the micro series. He also does carry some nostalgia for me, so I still like him.

Iron_lord and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Some sources said quadrillions, some quintillions. Some writers liked big numbers.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    One thing I hope Story Group keeps, unless they've already decided as TCW did hint at a different story, is Grievous original back story. It actually made him almost a tragic character, and explained how he became a cyborg.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Grievous was one of the mistakes of the PT, IMO. In the films, he just shows up out of no where, with no context and an overly long duel with Obi-Wan. I mean, there was already PLENTY of stuff to fit in Ep III.

In TCW, he's more fleshed out, but frankly, I never understood his character even then. He's mainly a failure. If I were Dooku, I would have canned him many times over.

10. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Unfortunately - it seems General Grievous is rather a 'tragic, overshadowed and somewhat over and under-rated villain' :( ...

Given for the over-ratings:
    1.) The fact he killed 'dozens of Jedi' - the thing was the majority of his victims were not of the Jedi High Council stock but rather mid-tier to inexperienced Jedi Padawans, Knights and some lower-ranking Jedi Masters ...
    2.) Given the fact in the now-non-cannon 2003-2005 Clone Wars where Mace Windu Force-Crushed him ...
    3.) The fact General Grievous may have been the Supreme Leader of the Droid Armies but the fact he was also abit egotistical and with hubris at times ...
    4.) The fact General Grievous was really a pawn of Count Dooku and Palpatine ...
    5.) The fact General Grievous at times he just retreated (although that was pretty effective too as he chose his battles) rather than fight to the end ...
    6.) Where Obi-Wan Kenobi admonished him being 'Count Dooku's Errand Boy' and that 'only leading an army with no loyalty, no spirit ... just programming! What have you to show for all your power? What have you to gain?'

Under-ratings:
    1.) Could have had more back-story when he was a Kaleesh Warlord ...
    2.) Could have had more potential then had he not been so arrogant and with hubris ...
    3.) Could have had a 'What-If' suppose if he found out it was Palpatine and Darth Sidious being 'always two but one' or where he had found out that it was Count Dooku responsible for his transformation and framing 'THE JEDI DID THIS! LOOK AT WHAT THE JEDI HAD DONE TO YOUR PEOPLE AND YOU!' and he could have perhaps 'redeemed himself' by helping the Jedi to repent for his Clone War atrocities ...
    4.) He could have had more potential then where had he considered Obi-Wan Kenobi's admonishment in the Battle of Saleucami - where General Grievous could have had a thought moment and realized 'geez I'm just an errand boy sent to clean up 'Dirty Work' in the form of Jedi Scum ... but this Jedi Scum's advising me I need to get a look over and put my life in order and together ...)
    5.) Indeed - more than just 'collecting Jedi Light-sabers and cleaning up Jedi Scum ...' - surely if General Grievous had had just a little bit more potential than that ... he was afterall sadly misguided both EU and Canon :( ...

Honestly - I wonder why General Grievous - why he never really considered 'repenting' his atrocities and mistakes; I mean he does have a vendetta against the Jedi and for the belief that 'the Jedi were responsible for the plight and suffering of the Kaleesh species and yet the Republic chose to help the Kaleesh sworn enemy - the Yam'rii Huk aliens instead ... and given the fact he was unfortunately just a piece of the puzzle - a cog in the machine and never beyond much of being an enforcer thug of the Separatists ... and the fact how he just cared about killing Jedi ... and how he never was exactly ideally good at the political game ... kinda almost parallels to Ancient China's 3 Kingdoms Lu Bu whom was an excellent warrior and military general - but politics-wise he was just absolutely horrible ... afterall though General Grievous he did have a form of honor by Kaleesh standards and he did want the best for his people ... it was just he was badly misguided and at the wrong place at the wrong times ...

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  11. LordDlow

LordDlow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I know it was IT at the time as far as the P Trilogy goes and hell 90 percent of us all though this would be the last Star Wars film for all time.
    I still think it was a dumb move to throw a new villain in at that late stage of the game (tons of lose ends already going into the film)
    I would have preferred more Dooku and just flushed Grevious, I know with the pacing it would of been hard, you need Palps and Anakin together to get his turn, but I think and cat and mouse game With Anakin and Dooku throughout the film may have been cool!! I'm biased as I'm A HUGE fan of Sir Christopher Lee, don't get me wrong he was already Phenomonial in AOTC but Lucas as well as many directors over the last 2 decades under use Sir Christopher Lee as always!!!
    It would have been fun to have a quick duel aboard Invisible Hand, Dooku escapes and have a longer ESB type duel with Hayden and Sir Christopher somewhere at the mod point where Grevious Dies in ROTS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    gg is now one of fav characters.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I love General Grievous.

One of the truly great villains of all time.

I got the character immediately as the cowardly heel so often seen in pro wrestling:

Cowardly heel: A wrestler who, in addition to breaking the rules and displaying characteristics of other heel types, often runs from his face opponents when threatened or otherwise placed at a disadvantage.

Now when they feel they are at an advantage or against a weaker opponent or or just forced into fighting with no other choice they can fight but why fight if you don't have to if you might lose?

14. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    He was a great villain in the Clone Wars miniseries (the one with the 5 minute shorts.)

In the movie? Not so much. I'd much rather they just kept Dooku as the plot device to get Obi-Wan away from Anakin. It would have made for a much more interesting show, what with Christopher Lee being Christopher Lee, and having a chance to namedrop Qui-Gon before the very end of the movie.

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    They did that anyway.

16. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    It's been said before, but I like GG for the idea that if we: Take Darth Maul (vengeful, light-saber wielding killer who carries out Sidous's orders), add Count Dooku (ex-Jedi, with political power and ambition), and throw in a generous helping of Grievous (cyborg Jedi-hunter and leader of armies) we get: Darth Vader.

GG to me doesn't take much thunder away from Sidous, the big bad of 1-6 who really triumphs in RotS, but I don't think he's really supposed to. The comparisons to Boba Fett are fair.

One thing I like about the GG storyline is that once he is taken out by Obi-Wan there is no cessation in the fighting, the clones just go from fighting the separatists to back-stabbing the Jedi. The death of GG is the catalyst, and it's often referred to in that light throughout RotS (Palpatines "I take it General Grievous has been destroyed then," Anakin's: "the fighting is going to continue until General Grievous is spare parts," and "at last we'll be able to capture that monster and end this war."), but he ends up as the catalyst for Order 66 and not the end of the war (at least not as the Jedi are thinking).

Darthmaul208 and darskpine10 like this.
  17. JechtShotMK9

Dec 27, 2013
    Did they? I don't remember it, but regardless, any reference to Qui-Gon would have much more relevance in a confrontation between the man's former master and former student. That could have been a truly great sequence, but nope. Kill off Christopher Lee in the first 10 minutes of the movie it is!

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    That was in AOTC.

19. JechtShotMK9

Dec 27, 2013
    And I think it should have been continued in RotS. It being in one does not exclude it being in the other.

20. NorseSith

NorseSith Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2015
    Grievous was a meaningless character. The EU tragic backstory is remotely interesting, but in movies and TV... Weak character.

21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    so are 90% of the characters in sw.

22. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Good to see all the positivity amongst fans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jc1138 and thejeditraitor like this.
  23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    gg is one of may fav characters btw.

24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Depends on who's writing him. I think he's good in the Clone Wars micro-series. He's good in TCW in some episodes more than others. Take Lair of Grievous. He's good in that, and he's also pretty scary and well-written in that Season 5 arc in which Ahsoka protects the kids from him. (Love her.) Grievous is almost universally well done in graphic novels. Take Son of Dathomir for example.

Grievous is okay in ROTS. I like his voice. He looks great. But I don't like his lightsaber duel with Obi-Wan. He's better in other appearances. However, once he and Obi-Wan start fighting without lightsabers, we see how threatening Grievous really is. I like the notion of Grievous being a former warlord who is forever grieving for his lost love, his hatred and jealousy of the Jedi, and so on. Grievous is not a character I like, but I've written some characters similar to him in my own work.

25. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    No. There was a good idea behind him and he's nicely designed, but he's totally non-threatening and is just trashed in his first and only fight of the film.