main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was having yoda have a lightsaber in the prequels a good idea?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Jul 27, 2015.

?

Should yoda have a lightsaber in the prequels at all?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    I have watched many videos and reviews about the prequel movies and what i heard was many people say was that Yoda should have not had a light saber in the prequels and it ruins his character. they say in the prequels it makes the whole Yoda character a joke because in AOTC he fights Count Dooku jumping up and down like a ball and to go even as far as saying he fights like Sonic the hedgehog and to say he's the last character in existence to have a light saber.

I'm personal think he should have a light saber because a Jedi's weapon is obviously the light saber as proven by this quote said by Obi wan Kenobi in ANH
    "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

However at the same time i don't think he should have one because it makes the Yoda in the prequels a joke and makes me feel like the PT Yoda and OT Yoda are two different characters, like the OT Yoda was awesome how he was a great mentor and uses his wisdom and shows his extremely good connect with just the force, unlike the PT Yoda who just jumps everywhere like a bouncy ball swinging his light saber too Count Dooku and emperor Palpantine.

What do you guys think?

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    yes :p

even Mr Miyagi had action in Karate Kid Part III (well in some extent in the first too)

Einstein said it best: example is not A way to teach, but the ONLY way to teach.

in other words: Yoda walked the walk.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yep, and I thought the idea was used brilliantly, and is an excellent example of continuity with the OT, in the form of character development. One informs the other.

It's one of the ideas in the PT that has my full approval.

4. Digladio

Digladio Jedi Master star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    Having Yoda in the PT at all was a bad idea.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved Yoda with a lightsaber. Was he supposed to stand at the edge of the Geonosian arena and philosophize while the rest of the Jedi defended themselves?

He did say he trained Jedi for hundreds of years. Jedi use lightsabers. It makes sense that he would have and use one.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ties in nicely to ESB but looks off in AOTC imo.

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Even Luke said in ESB, "I'm looking for a great warrior."

8. Digladio

Jan 7, 2003
    I always got the sense that that was the image of Yoda that Luke had in his mind. He just assumed that Yoda had to be a great warrior when that ended up not being the case.

9. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    nah.

though I approved of yoda getting some action scenes and he definitely should have been in the pt (maybe with a bit of a different role). if I were writing it, I'd have it to where he'd just show off his force abilities.

Avnar and danmcken like this.
  10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I agree on the first part, but not on the second. Luke searching for a great warrior was indeed what he pictured Yoda to be, not a description. But Yoda telling Luke that wars don't make one great, has absolutely no bearing on Yoda being a great warrior or not. The sentence is probably meant in the same way as a young person sees a veteran, as a hero who saved the day, while the veteran himself probably spends more time thinking about who he lost and how he wouldn't want to be in a war again. The former has this idealised view of heroism, while the latter has experienced war and is no fan of this view. That doesn't mean that the veteran is/was not an exceptional warrior.

CoolyFett, S2N2, mikeximus and 2 others like this.
  11. Digladio

Jan 7, 2003
    I used a bad choice of words...what I meant was Yoda doesn't appear as a great warrior in ESB. Obviously he probably was a great warrior at some point in the distant past, and also saw how war affected his students over the centuries (this is based on my impressions from the OT before the PT was released).

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Since Yoda is a Jedi, yes, of course he should have one.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think it was a great idea. Helped show his development from a typical Jedi to the sage we see in ESB.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't see it as character development. In fact, his character is something that remained very consistent throughout the saga.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

All four films.

It was never a condemnation on Jedi using Lightsabers, which some fans took away from that statement.

mikeximus and Andy Wylde like this.
  16. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    I only wish it were yellow...

Andy Wylde and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yoda having a lightsaber wasn't a bad idea. Him using it was. In fact, during the duel with Dooku I would've loved, after Dooku says "there is only one way to settle this…with the lightsaber", if Yoda reached out with the Force and crumpled Dooku's. Then Dooku would be like "Oh **** I'm outta here!"

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  18. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Yes, I like the fact that Yoda wielded a lightsaber in the PT.

He knows from experience that "wars not make one great"

19. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    It has never bothered me that Yoda had a lightsaber and I don't understand why people are getting upset because of that. I hear things like "he shouldn't have a lightsaber because he's small, old and wise". Well didn't he even said to Luke in Empire "Judge me by my size do you? Hmm... Well you should not". He means by that, you shouldn't always judge something or someone by his appearance. So he should also have been able to wield a lightsaber in his past before the events in Empire.

But I must admit that seeing his jumping around in Clones during his fight against Dooku might have been a little bit too much, maybe because I was less involved in this fight than the one against the Emperor in Sith since I saw Episode 3 before Episode 1 and 2. The fight between Yoda and Palpatine in Sith was simply awesome and much better than the one against Dooku in Clones.

CoolyFett and AussieRebel like this.
  20. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    u all should read the making of empire strikes back and return of the jedi by r.w. rinzler. Lucas actually says to Kasdan that Jedi masters were essentially just gurus and not fighters. They were different than knights altogether. If Lucas would have remembered back to his younger days when he was making great decisions, Yoda would not have used a lightsaber. And Jedi master would not just be a title of seniority/rank but would rather be a reflection of the type of jedi and force gifts they had.

ironwaffle and danmcken like this.
  21. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

Things change.

22. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    not always for the better bro.

danmcken likes this.
  23. Mindless Monster

Dec 4, 2014

That I definitely agree with. There's a certain "Star Wars" film coming out this year that I have a feeling will be full of "wonderful" changes.

24. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Obi-Wan was a Jedi Master in the original Star Wars from 1977 and he's old and wise as Yoda. So why does he wield a lightsaber in that movie while Yoda shouldn't?

25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think the green (obviously) goes well with the rest of Yoda's color palette. But yellow would have been interesting, I agree.

You know, this calls to mind the days when the rumors for Episode III were really picking up, and folks were suggesting that Darth Sidious might wield a lightsaber. For some odd, inexplicable reason, I was convinced that if the Chancellor ever were to have a lightsaber, it would have a yellow blade. In my mind's eye, it was the only thing which seemed to make any sense.

Then someone mentioned that if he did have a lightsaber, it would of course have a red blade (a point which I immediately conceded, realizing full-well that it would be so).