main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT "Was I any different when you taught me?"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth DoJ, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    "I took it upon myself to train him, I thought I could be as good a job as Yoda, I was wrong."

Has George ever addressed these inconsistencies - Since Yoda wasn't the one to train Obiwan and was never going to train Anakin?

2. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Well first of all, the actual quote is...

Yoda did train Obi Wan at one point as he did all younglings that came through the Jedi ranks:

[​IMG]

The quote doesn't imply that Yoda was going to train Anakin, the quote only says that Obi Wan thought, in his arrogance, he could be as good a trainer as Yoda, and Obi Wan was wrong...

3. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    The quote does not even imply that Yoda trained Obi-Wan, even though as shown above, and mentioned in ESB he did.

You could still assume you could do as good a job with a student passed on to you from a professor who you have a professional relationship with, but never actually taught you personally.

Also, for some that younglings scene is not enough - since it looks like Qui-Gon was actually Obi-wans teacher in TPM, and that this was added post hoc to AOTC to make up for George's 'error'. But really we have no idea at what point Qui-Gon takes over from Yoda, or indeed how many more lectures or lessons you still need to attend with Yoda, even when you are out with your 'adult' 'mentor'.

Yet even without all of this speculation, at the beginning of TPM Obi-wan thinks Qui-Gon's advice is in contradiction to what Yoda taught him.

Why this idea persists that Yoda never taught him, and that this contradicts the OT is strange, especially when the first line in the first film between Jedi and Padawan confirms exactly the opposite.

4. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    No reason to adress non-existent inconsistencies.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think we're good here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.