main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was it a joke? Was it not!?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by _dArTh_SoLo, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    We hear its a joke, we hear it isn't, and I would like to have some clarification from the administration if you don't mind.

If it is, its a pretty sick joke.

Please clear this up.

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    It's just something that went to far. But it was only for fun, not to hurt anybody.

3. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    I notice the mods are lying low. It was a joke. ;)

4. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    [yoda]to Obiwan, you listen...[/yoda]:)

None of them are returning PMs.

I wonder what kind of repercussions will exist for moderators that cussed up a storm during the drama.

5. _dArTh_SoLo

Mar 11, 2002
    I know one who is banned.

And he says he wasn't in on the loop if this was a joke.

I think it's sick.

6. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    It was a joke.

My concern, however, is that the proper use of this forum and the proper use of moderators' authority was somewhat violated. Users in this forum, according the the guidelines posted in here, "...are expected to be on their best behavior. Flaming of other users, even in jest, is prohibited." This applies to both moderators and users.

I'm a bit ... put-off by the comments/behavior of some members of the moderating team. I'm not here to point fingers, but I suspect that the numerous edits that were required to some moderators' posts should attest to the fact that a good number of them crossed the line, some even blatantly breaking the TOS.

I would hope that this situation of unfortunately poorly-thought-out behavior is being handled by the administration, as I know that had another group of users (outside of the moderators) conspired to pull such an elaborate hoax, and in the process violated the TOS on several occasions with flaming, swearing, etc., there would be more serious ramifications than a simple closing of a thread.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm not opposed to a good April Fool's joke, but the duty of upholding the TOS should trump the desire to uphold a joke. Surely it was not necessary to swear left and right and ban users (potentially a misunderstanding, but I was contacted via PM by users who had apparently been banned) under false pretense.

7. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Right now I'd like to focus on what is really important.

Terri Schiavo died today.

The Pope will probably die soon.

That is real life. That is truly worth our emotions.

8. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    It was badly coordinated. Tut tut. Even the fanfic mods have disappeared.

9. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    Once again, Vertical, you've summed up my thoughts and feelings exactly.:)

10. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I know one who is banned.

And he says he wasn't in on the loop if this was a joke.

I think it's sick.

Well that's a little worse. The fact that the person actually meant what he/she said doesn't really say much. Either way, it will blow over and I think it was only meant for a good laugh. No worries. :)

11. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Dark_Lady_Jada posted on 3/31/05 3:16pm
    Right now I'd like to focus on what is really important.

[hr][/blockquote] I don't mean to sound rude, but there are probably other threads on those topics. It is possible to discuss and consider several things all at once. Just because other things are going on does not mean we should not also discuss this.

12. _dArTh_SoLo

Mar 11, 2002
    I think when you do something like this just to cause a ruckus, just to stir people up, and then you know things get out of hand they should have come out immediately, and said it was a joke.

Yet they let things get so out of hand, and it was their little joke that set all of this in motion.

That, to me, is the most disturbing thing about all of this.

13. Qui Gon Moon

Qui Gon Moon Jedi Master star 5

Apr 15, 2000
    Will bans be handed out to those who perpetrated this joke?

The TOS does say...User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense.

Just curious.

[face_cowboy]QGM[face_cowboy]

14. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    Don't count on there being bans, demotions, etc. resulting from this...though the swearing was totally uncalled for.

15. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
  16. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Well, I just got on and caught up.

=D=

Very clever joke. :D

17. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I tend to agree with you, Lord_NoONE. Oh well.

By the way, nice registration date. ;) :p

18. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I haven't been around over the past few days or so. Can someone clarify what this "joke" was?

19. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Vertical, I'm saying this was an e-joke gone wrong. What I posted was real life. Real life is more imporant than an e-joke.

Do I think that some consequences from this joke gone wrong need to happen, I sure do. But in the scope of this day as a whole, this will NOT be on the evening news.

20. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Dude it's pretty simple to figure out if you take two seconds to look at the threads in this forum.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Dark_Lady_Jada posted on 3/31/05 3:32pm
    Vertical, I'm saying this was an e-joke gone wrong. What I posted was real life. Real life is more imporant than an e-joke.

Do I think that some consequences from this joke gone wrong need to happen, I sure do. But in the scope of this day as a whole, this will NOT be on the evening news.
    [hr][/blockquote]

This is [i]JC[/i] Communications; we discuss forum issues here. Whine about real world events in the JCC.

22. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Dark_Lady_Jada posted on 3/31/05 3:32pm

[hr][/blockquote] I know. And there are far worse things than having a well-intentioned joke go too far. But I still think it should be, at the very least, discussed so that everyone can feel as though any risidual 'hard feelings' can be smoothed over.

23. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004

Wow. I thought I came to this thread to talk about the mods and April Fool's, not to hear someone telling me what I should and should not be concerned about.

Thanks for preaching.

On other topics -- great joke! WOuld've worked better had it actually been April 1st board time.

24. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I have absolutely no idea what this "joke" was, but I probably won't be signing on to the JCC until like...Sunday. I don't want to risk being fooled. :p

25. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    April fools is about tricking people, not about jokes. The administration succeeded in tricking the mob, but as always, the older, more experienced and jaded users came to ruin the fun in a sense, e-chaos broke out... and though it wasn't handled that well from that point on, nobody got hurt in the process. Sape put an end to it as soon as he arrived on the scene. All is well, the circle continues.

Olaf Lispor... Honestly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.