main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was it a joke? Was it not!?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by _dArTh_SoLo, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Here was me feeling sorry for you as well. I'll never trust you again! :_| :_| :_|

2. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I enjoyed the AFD prank, like every year. Wish I could have seen it play out to the end. :(

3. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Kudos to the mods participating in the joke. I can't wait to see how you'll out-do yourselves next year. ;)

4. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    So we're all agreed then: it's BobtheGoon's fault!

Maybe if he could keep his socks straight, the joke would have lasted longer. [face_laugh]

L8r

5. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    If you need to curse at people to do your joke, then it's a bad joke.

I agree with Vertical and I applaude him for being honest.

It is not somewhat hypocritical, it is completely hypocritical, and at the end of the day it does matter. If I am feeling a little tense can I go off and break the TOS?

Yes, Sape did stop it when he found out it got out of hand, but remember that there are other MODS around, could not a single one of them even make an attempt at controling the situation? Obviously not (excluding Vert, who nobody listened to by the way). And the ones responsible for taking it over the line should be dealt with as a regular user would be.

Completely agree. I, for one, hope to see some action taken.

I knew it was a joke the whole time. I never laughed at what the mods did. It wasn't funny.

6. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    According to Wikipedia.com

A practical joke or prank is a practice intended to be humorous (usually in action, not just in words) in which another person is fooled, annoyed, or embarrassed in what the perpetrator imagines to be a mild and light-hearted fashion.

So by very definition, the MS purposefully have fooled, annoyed, and/or embarrassed us for their own amusement.

The fact also remains that the MS willingly ignored the TOS that they uphold the rest of us so strongly to. This leads to suggest that they are above the TOS, and thus are forcing the regular users to follow rules that they don't. This is grossly unfair.

My question is who are the Mods accountable to when they break TOS? The Head Admin? So when he's breaking rules too, what then? Who's accountable for the Mod Squad's behavior?

Or are they free to do as they please while screwing the rest of us?

7. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    The fact also remains that the MS willingly ignored the TOS that they uphold the rest of us so strongly to. This leads to suggest that they are above the TOS, and thus are forcing the regular users to follow rules that they don't. This is grossly unfair.

I concur. I love April Fools Jokes and in the past they've always been good. This one made me lose a lot of respect for some of the moderators.

8. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    From what I read all I have to say is wrost April Fools Joke ever.

I mean really if someone makes a mistake and ever one konws it's fake then don't press it any more. From what I read if it worked it would have been great. I mean Kimball_Kinnison taking over would hvae been cool.

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I find it interesting that so many users are calling for the heads of the entire MS in this case and saying that the appropriate action should be taken against anyone who crossed the line, which many of you assume is a ban. In fact, a warning is usually the action taken against users when they break the rules unless their usernotes suggest a history of previous behavior. I'm really wondering if these outcries for justice are really for the sake of wanting fairness or simply to see some of the administration banned.

10. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    I'm really wondering if these outcries for justice are really for the sake of wanting fairness or simply to see some of the administration banned.

A warning and a reassurance that the mods are not exempt from the rules would be nice. Bannings may be going a bit too far, though. Demotions is even a little bit much.

11. femme01

femme01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2004
    Star Wars geeks don't do humor well. :p

12. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Don't you see? It's all a set up.

Next year, before April 1st, the mods will come out with the line that we won't be doing any pranks this year due to the fiasco last time. Once we all swallow that, they'll spring a doozy on us all and catch us unawares. It's a deviously brilliant plan--well done.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I find it interesting that so many users are calling for the heads of the entire MS in this case and saying that the appropriate action should be taken against anyone who crossed the line, which many of you assume is a ban. In fact, a warning is usually the action taken against users when they break the rules unless their usernotes suggest a history of previous behavior.

*clears throat* I repeat. :p VIPs and up are supposedly held to a higher standard than other users at this site. Since the mods are the most visible members of the community, they ought to be models of good behavior. It isn't really relevant what would happen to a newbie who flamed someone without knowing it's against the TOS.

Why is it none of you youngen mods know these rules? In my day, we had to walk uphill both ways in the snow and recite the higher standard rule from memory while Darth Ludicrous spanked us with paddles and.... *goes on talking for an hour*

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    In my day, we had to walk uphill both ways in the snow and recite the higher standard rule from memory while Darth Ludicrous spanked us with paddles and.... *goes on talking for an hour*

Damn straight.

Mind you, I think that we all liked DL spanking us with those paddles a little too much.

15. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    o_O

Oh really?

Anyways, I pretty much assumed it was a joke when I first saw it, and I think most people probably realized it was one after a little bit. It may have been a bit tasteless, but people need to get over it. It's just a message board, and getting all worked up over a silly prank isn't really a good thing. :p ;)

However, IMHO the mods that acted inappropriately should probably be warned (as I assume that they most likely have been by now) and that's about it. ;)

EDIT: Added some more smileys because I didn't abuse them enough. :p

16. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    I find it interesting that so many users are calling for the heads of the entire MS

I used to be one of those people, but the more I look back on the past couple of days, the more I agree with sidious618 in that all that was really needed was an apology as far as this joke spiraling out of control, which you guys certainly have offered up, and which I very much respect. Also, my hat goes off to everyone in MS for putting out one hell of an Aprl Fools joke, reguardless of how it turned out. ;)

17. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    -_-_-_-_-_- posted on 4/1/05 8:09pm
    I find it interesting that so many users are calling for the heads of the entire MS
    [hr][/blockquote]

That's right Dashy! Off with your head! I thought you'd banned yourself?

[image=http://www.midatlantic.net/8x10/stooges-platter.jpg]

You know what, yesterday I was ticked now I've had too much fun watching Revenge of the Banners.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    While I understand the views expressed here, I need to remind you that even if we hadn't did what we did yesterday, that still doesn't mean that it isn't possible for a mod to blow up and become totally verbal. I myself was faced with that situation a few times, most notably last September. I was not in the best of moods that day and it was not smart to be on, as it was happening. Thus I excused myself for the rest of the day, until I got it under control.

However, that will not always be the case with mods. There have been and probably will be times when someone will go a little ca-ca. When that happens, actions will be taken as standard proceedure.

We all acknowledge we made a mistake and got too carried away. We apologized. Most have forgiven us. We're all going to avoid doing that again. It's over. Let it go. No one was harmed. Yes, we have to set an example. But then, people follow the examples of those who blatently violate the rules. Even when we set positive examples, there are those who will follow their own paths. We can try to discourage them, but it won't stop until we stop it. You look at the records of those of us who got carried away and you'll see that we haven't broken the rules before and after the 31st.

Believe us, if one slips up worse than today, we will take action.

19. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Well, at least ya'll put me on my guard against another site taking itself offline. :p Thank you for that.

20. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    EDIT: Stupid errors. Double post.

I_F

21. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    The small part that I saw was fairly amusing. It was well-played to begin with. However, like Dashy's said, the worst TOS violations that occured were ones for which the punishment would be warnings and edits. Even though the mods are held to a higher standard than normal users, it seems ludicrous to demand bannings or demotions for profanity. That takes it a little too far. We've had plenty of apologies, and I personally feel that that is sufficient.

And, as YodaJeff said:

I think it's hilarious that ANYONE takes ANYTHING seriously in the few days around April Fools Day here.

I_F

22. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    This is just my opinion, but i thought i'd give it anyways.

could this joke have blown any more out of porportion? It was a joke period, end of sentance. I think what the mods did was funny. I think all the people who are irrate about it need to get a grip on reality. The mods have apologized, lets just leave it at that. Wanting to bring down the whole MS just because you were dupped in a april fool's joke seem a little rash to me, even if the joke did get a little out of hand.

I think what the mods did, even if it was inadvertantly, was to show how many people need to get lives. If you are so upset that this site is going to shut down because you've been here X number of years into it, that your threatening suicide, you need to get a life. It is just an internet site, it is not the real world. Being a member of this site doesn't get you any job perks, it will not pay your rent, it will not get you a girlfriend/boyfriend. Sure, i'd be bummed if this site shut down, but you know what my life would go on living. I would still be breathing, and i could find 10 more star wars sites to post at (none probably as good as this one, but still). Get over it. :)

23. sidious618

Apr 20, 2003
    Never mind.

24. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I enjoyed the AFD prank, like every year. Wish I could have seen it play out to the end.

What about the time that you guys got caught pretending to be GL and you got stuck with the blame?

25. ZOUKMASTERJEDI

ZOUKMASTERJEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.