main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Was it possible to train Luke and/or Leia earlier?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by enigmaticjedi, Jul 23, 2015.

1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    In ROTS, Yoda decides to split the twins to make it less likely for Vader or Sidious to sense their presence. While he tells Obi-Wan to watch over Luke from afar, Yoda elects to go into exile instead of watching over Leia.

Instead couldn't Obi-Wan or Yoda have trained one of them in a remote planet like Dagobah? After all, Yoda always says "No, they're too old."

Perhaps it wouldn't work because if they grew stronger in the Force, they would draw the attention of Sidious or Vader? Perhaps Yoda and Obi-Wan eluded detection because they rarely, if ever, used their Force powers until the OT?

What do you think?

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine and Vader start to sense Luke's abilities once he's on Dagobah, with Vader having sensed them in Luke when he went to destroy the Death Star. Likewise, when Kanan begins training Ezra, Yoda starts to sense that they're both alive and makes contact with them. Yoda and Obi-wan had decided to hide the children so that they would be safe until they were old enough to be trained. But they're also kept with families to allow them to live a more normal life, as the novelization indicates. Being with the Jedi full time is partially what lead to everything coming apart. Being raised by the Organas and the Lars gave the twins emotional connections which the Jedi then worked to find a balance so that they could have loved ones, but learn to let them go when the time came.

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  3. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015

Well ... my answer might be a bit of a F.I.T.S. and be Trollinating BUT I'd say yes it is possible - in particular IF Palpatine had found out about them in ROTS and also Anakin learned of this - they surely would have wanted to capture them and no doubt turn them to potential Sith allies or Dark Acrolytes and Assassins not too unlike Darth Maul or Mara Jade Skywalker or such ... until Palpatine decides they're either of age ready to overthrow Anakin and replace him or Palpatine don't 'give a Force' about them once they're no longer of use and just discards them and that's it ...

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, of course, the answer is yes. Of course.

But it is fair to infer from the movies that such an action was both too risky for the twins AND that Yoda believed that waiting for the Force to set things in motion sometime in the future was best.

Sarge likes this.
  5. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I tend to fall under the impression that the sent them to alderann and tatooine for a very specific reason. The idea was to give them as normal a childhood as possible. They both went to loving families, sure owen seemed gruff but he had to love the kid. They decided that they were wrong on the attachment thing and the jedi of the future would have to be different then the past. I think they wanted to train Luke earlier than they did as obiwan says he tried to give luke anakins lightsaber earlier but he got chased off by owen. Leia for some reasons was a backup plan.

Really if you think about it Owen and Beru are as responsible for Luke being the jedi he is as much as obiwan and yoda. They gave Luke an emotional grounding that Anakin lacked, because Anakin was taken at 9 by the jedi. luke was adult enough to handle the pressure that was placed on him.

6. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Yoda and Obi-Wan would have to raise Luke and Leia from birth in order to give them an early training. I just cannot see them raising the twins in such remote areas.

I don't think Luke's emotional grounding was that solid.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Ah, it was far more than Anakin's. Luke may have came close to turning, but he didn't because he understood life in a way that set him on his path.

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Remember, Obi-Wan held onto Luke's lightsaber for the longest time and intended to give it to him at some point, indicating that there were obvious intentions on Obi-Wan's part to eventually train Luke as a Jedi, as I highly doubt Obi-Wan would have ever even considered giving somebody a lightsaber without training them on it first. In that scene where Luke and Obi-Wan first get to know each other, Obi-Wan says to Luke that Luke's father wanted him to have the lightsaber when he was old enough but that Owen wouldn't allow it, fearing that Luke would have followed Obi-Wan on "some damn fool idealistic crusade". So even on Owen's part, there was an understanding of Luke's potential to become a Jedi. So, was it possible that Luke could have been trained earlier? Certainly. As far as this question goes, I think much of the blame can be placed on Owen. Remember him also telling Beru "that's what I'm afraid of" when Beru mentioned that Luke has too much of his father in him. Owen's overprotectiveness could have very well been a crucial factor in Luke not becoming a Jedi earlier. Luke couldn't even go to the Academy when he wanted. Or go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters. So rather than trying to contend with that, perhaps Obi-Wan, relying on his patience, waited for the right opportunity to present itself in order to train Luke. Because it was Obi-Wan who vouched for Luke to Yoda. And then, Obi-Wan sacrificed himself to Vader, as he knew he would eventually, ultimately to prove that Vader has truly turned to the Dark Side, which would then be the catalyst for Luke's journey to defeat Vader and to become a Jedi. Obi-Wan had it covered. ;)

As far as Leia goes, we don't know much about her upbringing. Perhaps we will come to find out in the The Force Awakens what her Jedi abilities or inabilities are.

9. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Can anyone imagine IF Anakin and Palpatine gained custody or control of Leia and Luke when they were just infant babies ... what would the outcome have been? Another Darth Maul II or a Mara Jade Skywalker II in this case?

10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    From Obi-Wan's dialogue in ANH, it seemed as if Obi-Wan had made attempts to train Luke in the past, but always were stopped by Owen.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, it might not be training, but trying to establish a connection to his father which giving the Lightsaber would entail.

12. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Why is it important that Luke and Leia be trained in the ways of the Force from an early age? Because the old Jedi Order believed so?

Perhaps they would have had a happy childhood.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Part of the reasoning is that it is easier for a child to grow and understand the Force, if it was part of their life from the get go. It is more difficult for someone who is older to basically unlearn what they have learned. Hence part of the reason it was difficult for Luke to understand what the Force could do. He had spent a life not knowing of the Force and what all it was capable of when used properly. To him it was impossible to use the Force to lift up an X-Wing, whereas to Obi-wan, by the time he was say eight, he could probably do so with ease. Anakin was nine when he entered the Jedi Order, so for him, it was easy to adapt to using the Force consciously. His only problem was his patience and the growing arrogance fostered by Palpatine.

14. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

Hello again! May I ask - what did you mean by that a happy childhood? I'm pretty sure Sith - even Palpatine when they were young their child hood was anything but idyllic and happy ... given if Palpatine was FORCED to endure 'SHEE-VERING' cold of Mygeeto early in his days as a Sith Apprentice ...

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is actually brought up in this past Wednesday's Star Wars #7. Obi-Wan, in his journal, laments that he failed in his task to train Luke, as Owen prohibited him from being anywhere near the boy.

16. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think it was certainly possible to train Luke and Leia earlier but for some reason they did not.

But a question that has been bugging me is, after ANH, why wait three years?
    After ANH, both Luke and Leia are known members of the rebellion and as such, they are no longer "hidden" and if caught, they could be executed. Since Yoda and Obi-Wan seem to think that Luke and Leia are the ONLY two people in the galaxy that can stop the Sith. They are taking a huge risk by letting them run around, chased by the empire. What are they waiting for?

Obi-Wan could have appeared to Luke a week after ANH and told him to go to Dagobah and Yoda could start to train him.
    It gets even odder when you factor in Yoda's objections that Luke is too old. Yes Yoda was probably testing Luke but it can hardly be Luke's fault that Yoda and Obi-Wan waited around for three years before calling him.
    And why wasn't Leia called as well? If Luke doesn't work out and Yoda has grave doubts about him, why not call Leia as well? If she gets killed by the empire they have lost 50% of the only ones that are capable to stop the Sith. Seems very risky.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Tosche_Station likes this.