main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was it smart of Lucas to insert unexplored elements in the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Xalfrea, Jan 2, 2013.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I disagree. The Sifo-Dyas mystery is not as important as Anakin's dream. Based on Anakin's reaction when Sidious mentions his visions he never told Palpatine anything. He turns around surprised and says "What did you say?"

And if you have seen TPM then you would know the Sith are originally thought to be extinct. And they want revenge, on the Jedi. So any casual movie-goer would assume that their extinction is because of the Jedi. The film IS meant to be watched as a final conclusion to a trilogy it's not a stand alone movie.

2. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

Indeed. I've seen AOTC described as being like a murder mystery but, if we run with this analogy, its like a murder mystery where we discover only toward the end that there has been a murder and, though the identity of the perpertrator is actually (or will become..) of primary importance to the story, we never find out whodunnit. Then there's a sequel to that, in which the perpertrator is, seemingly, of vital importance and we still don't find out. All we have directly is one suspect but he seems to have no obvious motive. In fact we don't even know who he is and he might even have been dead at the time. Not only do we not find out whoddunit but.... nobody seems to care, though the murder has consequences for every character in the sequel.

I agree that it is a vital element of the plot - one of the the most important in fact - and it is simply never even addressed.

3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Try checking some of the OT threads.

4. edog37

edog37 Jedi Master

Mar 20, 2005
    The point all along was watching how a father falls & is rescued by his son. Everything else is basically window dressing. When I first saw TPM, I too was confused about the whole Trade Federation thing, but realistically, the fall of the Republic was like the fall of Weimar Republic into Nazi Germany. Plus, let's not forget the OT & PT were made about 20 years apart. People in the late 70s took a lot more at face value than they do now. I didn't need everything explained with the OT, I just knew Vader was evil & that Luke wanted to rescue his father.

Plus, keep this is mind. By the OT, Palpatine is already Emperor. The OT not only told Anakin's back story but showed how manipulate Palpatine really is. The trade federation, Dooku, Grievous, etc, were all pawns used by Palpatine. Those items weren't central to the story, so they really didn't need any more treatment than what they received....

5. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Actually Anakins suprise seems to be that he finally realizes that Palpatine is a Sith.
    So Anakin doesn't seem suprised that Palpatine knows about his desire to save Padme but the big shock is that Palpatine reveals that he is a Sith. Also it would not be hard for Palpatine to figure this out. He told Anakin about Plageious and the power to stop death and Anakin was obviously interested and wanted to learn that power.
    Now who would Anakin want to stop dying? Shmi is already dead and Palpatine knows it so Padme is the most likely choice. That Anakin is amrried to Padme is something he most likely told him about and even if he didn't it would not be hard for Palpatine to figure out.
    So not much of a mystery.

About the Sith. Yoda says that there are always two Sith so going by the films, back 1000 years there were still just two. So the Jedi killed one and thought they had killed the other but they hadn't. So the Sith have carried this 1000 year grudge for the death of one Sith?

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

6. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    PALPATINE: Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi. Learn to know the dark side of the Force, Anakin, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death.

ANAKIN: What did you say?

...where in that quote did Palps mention being a Sith Lord? But he DID mention Padme's death right? And that she's Anakin's wife? Two things that Anakin has kept a complete secret?

Anakin and Padme got married on Naboo, at the onset of a Galactic War while Palpatine was on Coruscant planning the war..and the only witnesses were two droids that they own. So yeah, coming from an in-universe perspective it would have been pretty hard for him to be aware of their marriage.

The Sith were made extinct..rpesumably by the Jedi. Hence the "grudge". I don't see why you don't understand that. Would you mind if someone killed your whole family? That's a grudge I might hold for a few thousand years.

7. Darth Ruian

Darth Ruian Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2013
    Start reading Star Wars books or look up the characters you want to know about on Wookiepedia (http://starwars.wikia.com). That's how you can find out information that's not mentioned in the movies.

8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Considering that Palpatine was from Naboo, I doubt it would have been that difficult for him. And it was also possible for Anakin to eventually tell him about the wedding. The Jedi Knight would have been more inclined to tell Palpatine than Obi-Wan and the rest of the Jedi.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Actually, they made themselves extinct... but it was because the Jedi were coming at them too hard.

10. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    It's the beauty of the mystery of Star Wars. Some things are better to be introduced without a backstory for you to learn as you go on.