main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

was it your first?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    when the ps1 came out it was my first cd player and then when the ps2 came out that was my first dvd player and now ps3 is the first blu-ray player.and now we have come full circle so i was wondering how many people have used one of the playstation systems as there very first cd/dvd/blu-ray player and how they feel on that.

2. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    I like your signature.

3. The_Crow

The_Crow Jedi Master star 4

Jan 10, 2006
  4. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    thank you, but what ps system was your first and what did you use it for?

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Err... yeah.
    I got a PS2.
    I use it to play games, what with it being a games console and everything.

The DVD player on it was/is terrible.

6. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Mell youhelf?

7. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    yes my playsation 1 was my first sexual experience.

8. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    A CD player was my first CD player.

9. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    This i the stupidest legitimate thread in such a long time. Well done.

10. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    It must have lowered your IQ considerably SFL, you can't even spell 'is' now.

11. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    It taste like burning.

12. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    You got it in 1 SEA!

13. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    1 sea

1sea

1seas

Onesies

Urination.

This thread.

SCIENCE.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Wow. You just went up a level in my books. That puts you at level 1.

15. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    I did use the PS2 as a dvd player, but it was only after my dvd player died. However, I did get a lot of use out of the dvd aspect of the system then.

16. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    My first cd player was a stereo.
    My first dvd player was a dvd player.

However, in the event that the PS3 ever falls to a reasonable price in the UK then perhaps it will have the dubious honour of being my first blu-ray player.

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I use my Xbox 360 as a DVD player.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not a fan of combo machines when it comes to home electronics. You generally end up with a poorer quality performance and user interface than if you bought stand alone players. This was especially important with DVDs where the degree of navigational control options available to you was of high importance, which were very limited on the PS2. Same for VHS/DVD hybrid machines- neither had particularly good function options compared to a good quality stand alone player for each.

Like SoloCommand, I buy my game consoles to play games on. I never picked up a PSX because I didn't really care about any of the games released for it, and I already had a stereo with a CD player as well a couple discmans to play CD's on, plus my computer's CD-ROM (which would probbaly be the only exception to the combo-machine rule of thumb because they're suppsoed to be multipurpose). The first game system I had that could play CD's was the Dreamcast I got after the system was discontinued and on sale- but again, I didn't buy it for the CD playback functionality, I bought it for the games.

My first DVD player was the second Sony model produced, which at the time was considered reference-standard. And though subsequent DVD players I've purchased have had performance improvements and DVD-R playback functionality added, I've yet to see a DVD player top it's navigational options- direct numerical access to not only chapters but also titles (awesome for easy access to easter egg content without having to jump through loops) and time index (awesome for navigating long chapters), 3+ speeds of fastscan, 2+ speeds of slow motion, frame by frame, etc. The vast majority of DVD players only have half those features, and combo players like the PS2 probably only have a fourth. Now I did get a PS2 eventually, but again I got it for the 3rd party games that weren't hitting Gamecube at the time, not the DVD playback.

As for Blue-Ray, I highly doubt it'll end up being my frst HD format player either. I don't presently own an HDTV, but even if I did, I'd still want to wait out the format war to see which format prevails before I invest in one, and I don't intend on buying a PS3 anytime soon-both due to the lack of interesting games and the price. By time all four of those factors (HDTV acquisition, format war resolution, PS3 pricedrop and improved library) are resolved, there will be standalone players available for a good price which will probably be the better machine anyways.

19. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    QFT. Game machines are supposed to be game machines. Not game machines/DVD players/popcorn makers.

I have been a Nintendoist for the longest time. I finally picked up a PS2 during a lull in Wii games, mainly so I could play Ratchet and Clank and Kingdom Hearts. I think I've played 1 DVD in it since I got it back in Q1 this year.

Like Quest said, the more functions added, the less features per function are available. I'd always prefer to have a decicated game machine, a dedicated music player, a dedicated Cell Phone (sorry iPhone, I already got a cell phone and iPod). Now I did pick up a combo DVD/VHS player recently (as a wedding present), mainly because it allows me to convert VHS to DVD instantly. I just hope it works as advertised.

20. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Nintendo's clutching to cartridges cost them. Sony picked up the third parties as a result. The CD's held more and were cheaper to produce. Once Square jumped ship it was over. A CD drive was the next logical step for gaming. I had both systems and the PSX just spanked my N64, there was so much variety.

21. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    I've got to agree with Quest and Skye; a console should be dedicated for gaming and not be a multifunction unit as it detracts from the quality with which it does its primary function.

22. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    i know that there primarily gaming systems and i agree with you but all i was asking was how many people ever bothered to use there playstation systems for any of the other things that they can do.thats all.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Seven.

24. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I use my PS2 as a DVD player, but only because I rarely watch DVDs in my bedroom. Using the controller is intensely annoying, and I can't be bothered to spring for the remote. I think I played CDs on my PS1 like twice.

25. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    Hmm... I think I played audio discs on the PSOne a handful of times, but I do recall when I first had my PS2, I used to watch DVDs on it nigh religiously. (I now only do so a handful of times, since it is bad for your system.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.